Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Negative changes to Citi Prestige insurance and protection benefits , 29 July 2018.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Negative changes to Citi Prestige insurance and protection benefits , 29 July 2018.

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by ElCaminoReal
Seems heavy-handed. Just get rid of the provision that provides coverage even if the cardholder is not traveling.

Depending on your situation, it may qualify as Domestic Partner as defined in the benefit guide.
We don't live together so no go on that one. Useless benefit now unless I travel with my mom.

Originally Posted by CarefulBuilder14
I think a big part of the problem is that many normal people dropped the card after the loss of Admirals access, 1.6 cpp AA redemptions, and golf. The transfer partner list is also not one that normal people would find convenient. Citi reduced Prestige to a card that largely appealed to people who knew the benefit terms and/or used exotic transfer partners. That's probably a pretty savvy and unprofitable customer base.

I think you are completely right. That is the reason I used the card, was more for the travel insurance benefits than anything else. It really has no other appeal (other than to me itts my oldest credit line so I would just have to drop it to another Citi card.)

You would think they would try to compete in the market and not make it worse.
Old May 25, 2018, 10:06 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CarefulBuilder14
I think a big part of the problem is that many normal people dropped the card after the loss of Admirals access, 1.6 cpp AA redemptions, and golf. The transfer partner list is also not one that normal people would find convenient. Citi reduced Prestige to a card that largely appealed to people who knew the benefit terms and/or used exotic transfer partners. That's probably a pretty savvy and unprofitable customer base.
Interesting point. They can't compete Chase or AMEX on transfer partners. The only distinction I can think of at this point is 4th night free given the insurance coverage is similar or worst (car rental not primary) than CSR.
Old May 25, 2018, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Haven't had a chance to personally verify, but I read that Citi defines Family Members as

“your children, spouse, fiancée, Domestic Partner and their children, including adopted children or step-children; legal guardians or wards; siblings or siblings-in-law; son-in-law or daughter-in-law; parents or parents-in-law; grandparents or grandchildren; aunts or uncles; nieces or nephews.”
Old May 25, 2018, 10:39 am

Programs: LH Senator, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by seawolf
Interesting point. They can't compete Chase or AMEX on transfer partners. The only distinction I can think of at this point is 4th night free given the insurance coverage is similar or worst (car rental not primary) than CSR.
Exactly. I'll likely keep the card for the 4th night, but only because most of my travel is exactly 4 nights and booking through the concierge has become pretty blissful since they have my preferences down. Once that gets discontinued, which I suppose is only a matter of time, I'll close the card and have my normal travel agent book 4 night stays rather than only 1-3 or 5+ night stays.

The $50k++/year on flights I'll put onto AMEX or Chase for all travel after July 29th. So far, I used the Prestige out of convenience ("one travel card") and great insurance benefits, regardless of the inconvenient transfer partners. Gotta vote with your wallet and I am sure Chase and AMEX will be happy for the extra spend.
Old May 25, 2018, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by iluvdoco
Haven't had a chance to personally verify, but I read that Citi defines Family Members as
Well I guess I can claim he is my fiancee, hard to prove otherwise. Thanks. Might still be some saving grace to this.
Old May 25, 2018, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by bookeew
Exactly. I'll likely keep the card for the 4th night, but only because most of my travel is exactly 4 nights and booking through the concierge has become pretty blissful since they have my preferences down. Once that gets discontinued, which I suppose is only a matter of time, I'll close the card and have my normal travel agent book 4 night stays rather than only 1-3 or 5+ night stays.

The $50k++/year on flights I'll put onto AMEX or Chase for all travel after July 29th. So far, I used the Prestige out of convenience ("one travel card") and great insurance benefits, regardless of the inconvenient transfer partners. Gotta vote with your wallet and I am sure Chase and AMEX will be happy for the extra spend.
Bolding mine, I don't have that kind of spend but yes I do the same. Its the most convenient card for me that has it almost all. I will have to see what I do after July 29. The benefits seem the same as CSR for travel so I don' think I will plan to get one just to spite LOL

Last edited by mia; May 25, 2018 at 11:37 am Reason: Formatting
Old May 25, 2018, 11:01 am

Programs: LH Senator, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by miadukes
Bolding mine, I don't have that kind of spend but yes I do the same. Its the most convenient card for me that has it almost all. I will have to see what I do after July 29. The benefits seem the same as CSR for travel so I don' think I will plan to get one just to spite LOL
Not spite, better transfer partners.
Old May 25, 2018, 11:11 am

What about flight's purchased before 7/29?

Hi all,

Does anyone know how the benefits will work for travel booked, say in March 2018 for travel in September 2018? Does the 3 hour flight/ baggage delay window control or is it the new 6 hour window?

I have gotten a lot of benefit from this in the past with luggage delay. I am not sure if the 6 hour window would have excluded my claims, but maybe not. But, particularly where your luggage does not end up in the airport when you do, it's nice to know whether you will need to buy essentials, and when you can do that. In my experience, airlines give a lowball estimate arrival of your missing luggage, and, in my experience, they normally exceed that time.
Old May 25, 2018, 11:11 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by miadukes
You would think they would try to compete in the market and not make it worse.
BINGO. They aren't. They've given up with the TY Points products. It's only a matter of time before the three TY cards become just like the Dividend (AT&T will probably be axed eventually as well).

The mountain of evidence makes anyone who disagrees look delusional.
Old May 25, 2018, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by bookeew
Not spite, better transfer partners.
and an extra $50 in travel credits ( and not just airline credits ).

and an extra point for dining category too.

You lose the 4th night free and chase is dropping the price protection unfortunately, but everything else appears equal or in favor of the CSR.
Old May 25, 2018, 11:29 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by seawolf
... wonder if Citi still wants to compete in the $450 AF segment.
This is Citi's third attempt. I wouldn't rush to judge, the insurance/protection changes bring Prestige broadly to parity with Sapphire Reserve. These benefits exist to increase the retention rate. If they have not been accomplishing that objective, there's no reason for Citi to be better than Chase, similar will be good enough.

I would expect a feature refresh later this year, at which point we can make a better assessment.
Old May 25, 2018, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by maxp0wers

You lose the 4th night free and chase is dropping the price protection unfortunately, but everything else appears equal or in favor of the CSR.
Yeah but I would still have to apply, be approved and have another credit card. for $50 I won't bother plus transfer partners would be great but like i said I can't completely dump this account so will wait and see. But I will go home today and tell the other half that he shall now be referred to as my fiancee when we travel !! LOL
Old May 25, 2018, 1:39 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hyatt, IHG cards
Originally Posted by maxp0wers

Prestige has (and keeps) secondary coverage for Missed Event Ticket Protection. Probably not a terribly popular feature, though. I suppose CSR would only cover such a transaction if it was part of a Trip Cancelation claim.

Rereading Chase's terms, entertainment tickets are not included...just travel tickets. YMMV, though.

Last edited by CarefulBuilder14; May 28, 2018 at 1:27 am
Old May 25, 2018, 2:03 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hyatt, IHG cards
Originally Posted by mia
This is Citi's third attempt. I wouldn't rush to judge, the insurance/protection changes bring Prestige broadly to parity with Sapphire Reserve. These benefits exist to increase the retention rate. If they have not been accomplishing that objective, there's no reason for Citi to be better than Chase, similar will be good enough.

I would expect a feature refresh later this year, at which point we can make a better assessment.
"I would expect a feature refresh later this year, at which point we can make a better assessment." That is exactly what I thought in the middle of 2016...and in early 2017. Maybe new perks won't be as good as the old ones. Maybe they won't be available right away. But, surely, there will at least be some hope for the card on the horizon.

But it's been nearly two years. I can't imagine what they could possibly be working on that they haven't revealed yet.
Old May 25, 2018, 2:09 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by mia
This is Citi's third attempt...
To be realistic, it should only take one attempt for a worldwide bank like Citi to get a premium product right... That is if common sense is used when bringing out the card.

Unlimited 4th night free, Admirals Club access, and three free rounds of golf anywhere in the world weren't the best ideas to put on a card. They should've focused more on quality U.S hotel/airline partners, capped the 4th night to 3x a year and once every three months, and maybe provided one free round of golf, and perhaps a pair of one day Admirals' club passes per year. In the long run, my benefits proposal would've saved them a ton of money, and most likely wouldn't have resulted in the nerf..

Last edited by mikesyr18; May 26, 2018 at 9:06 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.