Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Negative changes to Citi Prestige insurance and protection benefits , 29 July 2018.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Negative changes to Citi Prestige insurance and protection benefits , 29 July 2018.

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2018, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Didn't see this posted anywhere yet. Credit to DoC.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/full-...uly-29th-2018/
  • Worldwide Car Rental Insurance: Maximum coverage decreased to $75,000 from $100,000
  • Trip Cancellation & Interruption Protection: No longer covers travelling companions. They MUST be family in order to qualify.
  • Damage & Theft Purchase Protection: Coverage is now secondary, previously it was primary for everybody apart from those in New York. Excluded items will also include: lost items, firearms, ammunition, jewelry, watches, tires or items that are under the care and control of a third party including, but not limited to, the U.S. Postal Service, airlines, or delivery services.
  • Trip Delay Policy: No longer covers travelling companions. They MUST be family in order to qualify.
  • Lost Baggage Protection and Travel & Emergency Assistance: No longer covers travelling companions. They MUST be family in order to qualify.
  • Citi Price Rewind: See those changes here. In addition the following items are excluded: won’t include consumables, tires, watches, firearms, or ammunition. You won’t be reimbursed if the lower priced item is found at a warehouse club where the merchant requires a customer to pay a membership fee.
  • 90 Day Return Protection: Maximum reimbursable per year is going from $2,500 to $1,500. Will also no longer apply to the following: include firearms, ammunition, tires, jewelry, furniture or appliances.
Old May 24, 2018, 2:46 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
The other thread mentioned Trip Delay coverage only kicks in after 6 hours (matching CSR). Lowering auto rental coverage from $100K to $75K (matching CSR). I might as well put all my spend on CSR except for 4th night free hotels.
Old May 24, 2018, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Why so surprised? It is Citi's typical business practice.

When Citi offers something too good to be true, then you know it will not last long.
mikesyr18 likes this.
Old May 24, 2018, 3:12 pm

New Benefits Guide: https://www.cardbenefits.citi.com/~/...R20_FINAL.ashx

The misconnect exclusion to the Travel Delay coverage is now spelled out as well:
Coverage does not apply under the following conditions: ......"The Covered Traveler(s) is delayed due to a missed connection of their Common Carrier, but the delay that caused the missed connection does not meet the required time period of 6 hours."
Old May 24, 2018, 3:49 pm

Programs: LH Senator, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Ragnarok

The misconnect exclusion to the Travel Delay coverage is now spelled out as well:
Ouch, this puts the card strictly below the CSR if you are not traveling with more than 7 or more family members that would be eligible (CSR has a $3k cap, Prestige does not).

Looks like all my airline spend, which is by far the largest part of by expenses, is going to the CSR or AMEX, no point in putting it on the Prestige for travel after 7/29.
Old May 24, 2018, 4:55 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Ragnarok

Thanks. I see the benefit website displays the terms after logging in. Literally the only charge that should be on this card is the 4th night free hotel charge if CSR is also in your wallet.
Old May 24, 2018, 5:08 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Citi often refreshes the insurance and protection guides for all cards simultaneously. Are there changes to other cards on the 29th? After these changes are the Prestige and Premier coverages substantially similar?

Last edited by mia; May 25, 2018 at 1:13 am
Old May 24, 2018, 5:53 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hyatt, IHG cards
I have a few price rewinds going and some travel booked on the card. When I finish the travel in two weeks, I'm ending the rewinds early, getting a CSR, and closing Prestige. I'll take gift cards for whatever remaining rewards (<10k TYs) I have.

Update: $20k CSR

Last edited by CarefulBuilder14; May 24, 2018 at 6:34 pm
Old May 24, 2018, 9:44 pm

I am currently in the middle of a retention offer on Prestige. I get a $50 credit each month I spend more than $1500. I have received $50 in each of the last few months. My annual fee will be billed on 6/22 when my statement closes. I have already used my $250 airfare credit for 2018.

Here is my plan:

In early June I will finish all price rewind searches early and receive all credits due. Around 6/23, after my statement has closed, I will redeem my remaining points for gift cards, as I will have no imminent travel to book and I don't use the TY partners. Any remainder points I will redeem for a statement credit. My statement closing 6/22 will include the $450 AF and a $50 credit for spending $1500+. I will ask to convert it to a Double Cash or other no-AF product (for continued history and to have a second card along with Costco for price rewinds). If this request is denied, I will close the account entirely. I will get to keep my most recent $50 credit, along with previous $50 credits, and get a full $450 refund of my AF.

I know I could keep the card until July 23 and possibly get another $50, but I am concerned I might forget to call within 37 days of the AF posting. I will stick with calling a few days after the AF posts. I am willing to give up that very last $50.

Can anyone think of anything I am overlooking or have incorrect?
Old May 25, 2018, 6:42 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
I have to say that this card just keeps getting worse. Not only did the travel delay benefits go down but from what i read it is now for family not traveling companions so if boyfriend and I travel together, he is not covered. I am definitely thinking of cancelling in august when my AF comes about. Maybe downgrade to some other Citi (can't outright cancel this card as it is my longest credit line lol) Will have to wait and see. At this point, I might as well put my air spend on my Plat and get 5x for it.
Old May 25, 2018, 7:25 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by mia
Citi often refreshes the insurance and protection guides for all cards simultaneously. Are there changes to other cards on the 29th? After these changes are the Prestige and Premier coverages substantially similar?
Indeed, there is a new benefits guide for the Citi AA Exec card, effective 7/29/18, and the changes look to be the same as for the Prestige card.
Old May 25, 2018, 9:04 am

Well, there goes the last reason I have this card. Especially because I travel with my GF. if she's not covered, then there's no point.

Annual Fee just hit. Do they pro-rate the refund?
Old May 25, 2018, 9:19 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by jamesinclair
Well, there goes the last reason I have this card. Especially because I travel with my GF. if she's not covered, then there's no point.

Annual Fee just hit. Do they pro-rate the refund?
That is how I feel. I would sometimes pay our award fees to have boyfriend covered but if he is not cover, forget it. How wasteful. You have to wonder how badly these policies have to be abused for them to start making such measure.
Old May 25, 2018, 9:38 am

Seems heavy-handed. Just get rid of the provision that provides coverage even if the cardholder is not traveling.

Originally Posted by miadukes
That is how I feel. I would sometimes pay our award fees to have boyfriend covered but if he is not cover, forget it. How wasteful. You have to wonder how badly these policies have to be abused for them to start making such measure.
Depending on your situation, it may qualify as Domestic Partner as defined in the benefit guide.
Old May 25, 2018, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by miadukes
I think a big part of the problem is that many normal people dropped the card after the loss of Admirals access, 1.6 cpp AA redemptions, and golf. The transfer partner list is also not one that normal people would find convenient. Citi reduced Prestige to a card that largely appealed to people who knew the benefit terms and/or used exotic transfer partners. That's probably a pretty savvy and unprofitable customer base.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.