Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Negative changes to Citi Prestige insurance and protection benefits , 29 July 2018.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Negative changes to Citi Prestige insurance and protection benefits , 29 July 2018.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2018, 2:43 am

Originally Posted by BigFlyer
How do you get it down to $100 after credits?
Citi Prestige $350AF w/o branch or CitiGold?
Old Jun 7, 2018, 7:20 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
How do you get it down to $100 after credits?
Historically, those who had a Citi Gold account were able to get $100 off the annual fee. When Citi came out with Priority, the $100 annual fee discount extended to that account as well.

Citi is often generous with retention offers, so as a cardholder with no assets, you may still be able to get ~ $100 off the annual fee either as a statement credit or as a points credit for meeting a certain criteria.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 7:31 pm

I have a reduced annual fee and I'm still trying to decide whether to keep this card or not. Maybe I'll wait until I renew GE again. Has anyone renewed theirs yet? I got the credit in late 2013 (I believe), my GE expires March of 2019. I can renew any time now that it's less than one year out. Do I need to wait exactly 5 yrs to get the credit on Prestige?
Old Jun 7, 2018, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by voodoogirl
I have a reduced annual fee and I'm still trying to decide whether to keep this card or not. Maybe I'll wait until I renew GE again. Has anyone renewed theirs yet? I got the credit in late 2013 (I believe), my GE expires March of 2019. I can renew any time now that it's less than one year out. Do I need to wait exactly 5 yrs to get the credit on Prestige?
you never stay 4 nights at a hotel? The card pays itself with 1 night.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by lotrbfme
I have had this card since it came out and have NEVER used it for a 4 night stay. The only way I can see someone using it is if they "Vacation" instead of "Travel". I travel for fun and almost never stay in one place more than 1 or 2 nights. For someone who vacations, then certainly you can use this benefit.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 7:51 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bigbuy
I have had this card since it came out and have NEVER used it for a 4 night stay. The only way I can see someone using it is if they "Vacation" instead of "Travel". I travel for fun and almost never stay in one place more than 1 or 2 nights. For someone who vacations, then certainly you can use this benefit.
Curious as to why you choose this card as opposed to CSR?
Old Jun 10, 2018, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by seawolf

Curious as to why you choose this card as opposed to CSR?
I have both CSR and Amex Platinum in addition to Citi Prestige. I got the $350 Prestige year in branch and have the Schwab Platinum which gives me $200 per year off of the annual fee. I kept the Prestige because it covered my girlfriend with travel insurance which the CSR does not. Now that Citi has eliminated that perk, I will probably drop it when the annual fee comes due.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 9:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I have both CSR and Amex Platinum in addition to Citi Prestige. I got the $350 Prestige year in branch and have the Schwab Platinum which gives me $200 per year off of the annual fee. I kept the Prestige because it covered my girlfriend with travel insurance which the CSR does not. Now that Citi has eliminated that perk, I will probably drop it when the annual fee comes due.
Yes, in your circunstance I would do so too. Like I said, Citi prestige is now the 4th night free card and nothing more.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: *A
AF is pro-rated, so you might as well drop the card come July 29.
bigbuy likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 3:10 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hyatt, IHG cards
I can't find the link, but I downloaded a Costco Visa benefits guide that says it is effective July 29, 2018. The trip cancellation benefit says it applies to Traveling Companions.

Now the cap is only $3k per trip per Covered Traveler, and there's no delay protection. But it seems rather harsh on Prestige customers that Costco keeps non-family companion coverage when Prestige is losing it!

Originally Posted by sds1493
AF is pro-rated, so you might as well drop the card come July 29.
My AF posted last night, and I requested a PC to Double Cash today. I've already redeemed all TYs.

When should I expect my AF to be refunded? And would I get the full $450...or only 10 or 11 12ths of it?

If it matters, the rep said I had 11 days for the benefit changes to apply, and that August 12 was the last day I could cancel the request.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by lotrbfme
We don't very often, we cruise a lot or do road trips where we aren't usually in same spot for 4 nights. Or Airbnb/VBRO if we are, can we book those? Although I likely will have an opportunity next year, which I could go ahead and reserve this year. If the hotel/cabin I'm considering is not showing in the Thank You portal, can I send the link to the concierge to book for 4th night free? Or are we limited to only those showing via the portal? The place I'm considering is $275 a night, that would be enough incentive to keep this card for another year.

I miss the days of flight points and companion air tickets every year, along with the lounge access. But I get why that was not sustainable.

Last edited by voodoogirl; Jun 25, 2018 at 3:48 am
Old Jul 2, 2018, 6:59 pm

I'm not sure if this is obvious, but if I've already claimed $900 in price rewind refunds. As of today I have $1,600 left, as of July 31st? Do I have 100 or 1600? Or 1000?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.