Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Premier MasterCard (60,000 points for $4,000 spend in 3 months)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 4, 2018, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
This thread is a continuation of discussion from 2015 - 2017.

Is there currently an offer for this card with a signup bonus?

Yes
  • only affiliate 60k links seem to work now; go to https://www.doctorofcredit.com/citi-...ed-first-year/ for a working one and open it in in an Incognito / Private window8
  • 80K TYP for $4k spend/3 months. $95 AF waived for first year.
  • 30K TYP for $3K spend/3 months, $95 AF waived for first year. Open in private/incognito window for best results.
    • Offer not available if you have opened or closed a Preferred, Premier, or Prestige card in the past 24 months.
  • 30K TYP for $3K spend/3 months, $95 AF waived for first year. Open in private/incognito window for best results.
    • Offer not available if you have opened or closed a Preferred, Premier, or Prestige card in the past 24 months.

Does anybody know when the signup bonus will increase?No. Please don't ask in the thread "just to double-check if anybody knows." Nobody knows.

Can I see the number of TYP earned on an individual purchase?No. The best you can do is visit the Account Details page for your card to see how the merchant for a given transaction was categorized.

What are the bonus categories for the Premier card?
      Effective April 19th, 2015, unless you are participating in a limited-time offer, you will earn:Airlines are classified as merchants that provide air travel. Hotels are classified as merchants that provide sleeping or meeting room accommodations, and may include goods and services that are on a bill for these accommodations by a hotel, motel or inn. Car rental agencies are classified as merchants that provide short-term or long-term rentals of cars. Travel agencies are classified as merchants that provide travel information and booking services, and include travel aggregators and tour operators. Gas stations are classified as merchants that sell fuel for consumer use and may or may not be attended. Commuter transportation is classified as merchants that provide suburban and local mass passenger transportation over regular routes and on regular schedules, including ferries, commuter railways and subways. Taxis/limousines are classified as merchants that provide passenger transportation services for hire and includes horse-drawn cabs and carriages, bicycle taxis, aerial tramways, airport shuttles or cable cars. Passenger railways are classified as merchants that primarily provide long-distance transportation and may include overnight accommodations on the train. Cruise lines are classified as merchants that provide passenger transportation on the open sea or inland waters for the purpose of vacation or pleasure and operate predefined and advertised routes. Bridge and road tolls are classified as merchants who collect fees associated with toll roads, highways and bridges. Parking lots/garages are classified as merchants that provide temporary parking services for automobiles, usually on an hourly, daily or monthly contract or fee basis. Campgrounds and trailer parks are classified as merchants that provide overnight or short-term campsites for recreational vehicles, trailers, campers, or tents. Timeshares are classified as retailers that sell, lease, and rent timeshare real estate and arrange timeshare condominium exchanges. Bus lines are classified passenger bus transportation services that operate on a regular schedule over predetermined routes. Motor home and recreational vehicle rentals are classified as merchants that rent motor homes, RVs, pop-up campers, tent trailers, and other recreational vehicles on a daily, short-term, or extended-term basis. Boat leases and boat rentals are classified as merchants that primarily provide boat rental and leasing services, including fishing boats, non-crew houseboats, sail boats, powerboats, jet skis, and yachts.

Restaurants are classified as dining establishments that primarily prepare food and drinks for immediate consumption by consumers, either on the merchant’s premises or packaged for takeout, and include bars, cocktail lounges, discotheques, nightclubs, taverns and fast food restaurants. Sports promoters are classified as merchants that operate and promote live sporting events (professional or semi-professional), and may also include sports stadiums. Theatrical promoters are classified as merchants that operate live theatrical productions or concerts, and include ticketing agencies. Movie theaters are classified as establishments that sell tickets and refreshments for movie productions. Amusement parks (including zoos, circuses and aquariums) are classified as establishments that operate parks or carnivals and offer mechanical rides and games and/or live animal shows. Tourist attractions and museums (including art galleries) are classified as establishments that operate attractions and exhibits for tourists. Record stores are classified as establishments that sell CDs and related items, including online record stores. Video rental stores are classified as merchants that rent DVDs and/or games and related equipment for consumer use, including online video rentals.

We do not determine how merchants or establishments are classified, however, they are generally classified based upon the merchant's primary line of business. We reserve the right to determine which purchases qualify for this offer. Purchases not eligible to receive the additional ThankYou Points include, but are not limited to, purchases made at warehouse clubs, discount stores, department stores and convenience stores.

You may earn ThankYou Points as long as your Card Account is open and current. If your Card Account is closed, you will not be able to earn ThankYou Points and you will lose any accumulated ThankYou Points that have not been transferred to your ThankYou Member Account. Balance transfers, cash advances, convenience checks, returned purchases, disputed or unauthorized purchases/fraudulent transactions, finance charges, Card Account fees, and fees for services and programs you elect to receive through us do not earn ThankYou Points unless otherwise specified.

If you do not already have a ThankYou Rewards Member Account ("ThankYou Member Account"), one will be set up for you. ThankYou Points earned from purchases post to your Card Account at the close of each billing cycle, and at that time we will transfer the ThankYou Points you earned to your ThankYou Member Account. (Bonus ThankYou Points may take one to two additional billing cycles to post to your Card Account.) ThankYou Points are not eligible for redemption until they are transferred to your ThankYou Member Account. ThankYou Points may not be redeemed and may be lost if your Card Account is not open or current.
      What happens to my TY points if I close my card account?Please see the wiki at Citi ThankYou points - cancel, downgrade & expiration considerations
      • 3 ThankYou Points for every dollar you spend on purchases at airlines, hotels, car rental agencies, travel agencies, gas stations, commuter transportation, taxi/limousines, passenger railways, cruise lines, bridge and road tolls, parking lots/garages, campgrounds and trailer parks, time shares, bus lines, motor home/RV rental and boat rentals;
      • 2 ThankYou Points for every dollar you spend on purchases at restaurants and on select entertainment merchants, including sports promoters, theatrical promoters, movie theaters, amusement parks, tourist attractions, record stores and video rental stores; and
      • 1 ThankYou Point for every dollar you spend on other purchases.
Print Wikipost

Citi Premier MasterCard (60,000 points for $4,000 spend in 3 months)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2022, 4:26 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by GundamWing01
1) which FICO scoring model are you "exceeding 800"? vantage? you need to look at EX 8.
Originally Posted by Explore
1) Experian and the others too
Experian is the name of a credit bureau, but GundamWing01 is asking if the credit score is a FICO 8 score, a Vantage score or something else? Read about the distinction here:

https://www.experian.com/blogs/ask-e...d-fico-scores/
GundamWing01 likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 7:38 pm

1) Experian and the others too
2) see #1, they’re all close
3) 8 HPs last 2 years, and 4 to 5 new personal accounts (also perhaps a couple of AU accounts)
4) More than 2 years ago
5) 3% credit utilization, $10K in CC balances plus $105K mortgage balance
appreciate the info. but it seems you had misread my questions. of course, youre free to share whatever youre comfortable with, but based on your responses, the 8 HPs in 24 mo and also your new accounts (5 + AUs) may have caused your decline. what are the stats for your 8 HPs in 24 mo and your new accounts based on EX CR? which banks are they from? multiple banks? if all that activity was from the past 12 months, citi will have issue.

also, was the only denial reason "too many inquiries?" did you recon? what did they say? at this point, you should call.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 6:43 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Denied 2x in the last year. Applied again for me and a family member. Both denied instantly. 3/12 and 0/6 on new cards.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by italdesign
Denied 2x in the last year. Applied again for me and a family member. Both denied instantly. 3/12 and 0/6 on new cards.
What exactly do you mean by 3/12 and 0/6?

Banks like Citi care both about cards opened and inquiries, but you didn't specify what your opened cards were vs your inquiries, you just listed numbers in a way which some people use to mean opened cars and other people use to mean inquiries.

Trying too often for the same card increases your inquiries, even though it doesn't increase your opened cards.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 9:41 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by GundamWing01
appreciate the info. but it seems you had misread my questions. of course, youre free to share whatever youre comfortable with, but based on your responses, the 8 HPs in 24 mo and also your new accounts (5 + AUs) may have caused your decline. what are the stats for your 8 HPs in 24 mo and your new accounts based on EX CR? which banks are they from? multiple banks? if all that activity was from the past 12 months, citi will have issue.

also, was the only denial reason "too many inquiries?" did you recon? what did they say? at this point, you should call.
That was the only denial reason when I called recon. The rep said he couldn’t do anything about it. I only had 3-4 hard pulls in the 12 months from multiple banks, and no new cards as an AU. The only thing I can think of was that I accepted a low APR offer on my Double Cash in the past few months. However, given Citi’s unwarranted denial I’ve ceased using that card and now put that spend mostly on my Amex Blue Business Plus and Capital One cards.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 11:59 pm

That was the only denial reason when I called recon. The rep said he couldn’t do anything about it. I only had 3-4 hard pulls in the 12 months from multiple banks, and no new cards as an AU. The only thing I can think of was that I accepted a low APR offer on my Double Cash in the past few months. However, given Citi’s unwarranted denial I’ve ceased using that card and now put that spend mostly on my Amex Blue Business Plus and Capital One cards.
you got a system decline for 3-4 HP in 12 months? but how many HP during last 6 mo? also, how many new accounts the past 6 mo and 12 mo?

https://milestomemories.com/citi-application-rules
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/citi-...hin-six-months
Old Oct 9, 2022, 9:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by sdsearch
What exactly do you mean by 3/12 and 0/6?

Banks like Citi care both about cards opened and inquiries, but you didn't specify what your opened cards were vs your inquiries, you just listed numbers in a way which some people use to mean opened cars and other people use to mean inquiries.

Trying too often for the same card increases your inquiries, even though it doesn't increase your opened cards.
That was for new accounts. 1 more inquiry from the previous denial (first denial was just over a year ago).
Old Oct 16, 2022, 12:53 pm

Just got approved, was not instant had to call in for identify verification. Experian inquiry
CC limit 11k
Existing account
Double cash
Custom cash
Checking
Saving
6/12 Experian for inquires
Old Oct 24, 2022, 10:47 pm

Citi Premier Auto Approval:

I was worried about potential denial due to all the recent “low utilization” DPs since I never use my Citi cards. So I put ~$2K spend on existing Citi cards (10 year old DC & 3 year old Premier that was downgraded 2 years ago to a Rewards+ with same card #) waited for statements to close and then applied. Instantly approved.

Pulled Experian - 807 FICO.

Inquiries: 0/6, 1/12, 6/24.

New Accounts: 0/6, 2/12, 5/24.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 9:29 am
MTY

Denied Nov 10, 2022 for citi premier 80k

1) Vantage and other scores 780-800
2) Equifax (Texas)
3) HP: 4/6, 5/12, 8/24 and New Accounts: 4/6, 4/12, 4/24
4) last app was 2+ years ago (was on the grAAvy train a while back but luckily never had issues
5) balances: $4k revolving (4% utilization), $250k mortgage, $40k installment...income is not an issue

I called reconsideration line and the rep stated that its a hard "no" due to the reason of decline (too many inquiries). Do I try again?

Side note, Cap1 also declined me during my recent apparama.
Old Nov 11, 2022, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by MTY

1) Vantage and other scores 780-800
2) Equifax (Texas)
3) HP: 4/6, 5/12, 8/24 and New Accounts: 4/6, 4/12, 4/24
4) last app was 2+ years ago (was on the grAAvy train a while back but luckily never had issues
5) balances: $4k revolving (4% utilization), $250k mortgage, $40k installment...income is not an issue

I called reconsideration line and the rep stated that its a hard "no" due to the reason of decline (too many inquiries). Do I try again?

I'd recommend a breather. Maybe 6 months.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 4:59 pm

I have one week left to spend $1600 to hit the bonus. Anyone know any good ways to MS? Can I buy an Amazon gift card to help hit spend?
Old Nov 15, 2022, 8:06 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by breakthepoints
I have one week left to spend $1600 to hit the bonus. Anyone know any good ways to MS? Can I buy an Amazon gift card to help hit spend?
Maybe get some 3rd party GCs at the grocery stores along with some real groceries? I don't think Citi is as strict as Amex is about 3rd party GCs. I am not sure about VS/MC prepaid debit cards with Citi.

LAX
breakthepoints likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 11:49 am

Programs: United, delta, AA, Alaskan, Frontier, Hilton Gold, Hyatt, Chase Sapphire
At 6/26,cs 820, no current citi cards, have a checking account, last closed the premier card in 2/20, and last card app any bank was 5/21. I'm gun shy after 4 denials in a row in early 2021. Think I was around 10/24 at that time. Thinking the citi premier would be a good bet. Thanks
Old Nov 22, 2022, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by MTY

Issuers are no longer thrilled with the apporama (were they ever?). My Citi app was also denied when I applied seconds after a Cap1 app (the latter was approved). But was approved by Chase about 4 mo after last Chase app.

agree with advice above - give it a rest for 3-6mo. If you want this card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.