Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Premier MasterCard (60,000 points for $4,000 spend in 3 months)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 4, 2018, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
This thread is a continuation of discussion from 2015 - 2017.

Is there currently an offer for this card with a signup bonus?

Yes
  • only affiliate 60k links seem to work now; go to https://www.doctorofcredit.com/citi-...ed-first-year/ for a working one and open it in in an Incognito / Private window8
  • 80K TYP for $4k spend/3 months. $95 AF waived for first year.
  • 30K TYP for $3K spend/3 months, $95 AF waived for first year. Open in private/incognito window for best results.
    • Offer not available if you have opened or closed a Preferred, Premier, or Prestige card in the past 24 months.
  • 30K TYP for $3K spend/3 months, $95 AF waived for first year. Open in private/incognito window for best results.
    • Offer not available if you have opened or closed a Preferred, Premier, or Prestige card in the past 24 months.

Does anybody know when the signup bonus will increase?No. Please don't ask in the thread "just to double-check if anybody knows." Nobody knows.

Can I see the number of TYP earned on an individual purchase?No. The best you can do is visit the Account Details page for your card to see how the merchant for a given transaction was categorized.

What are the bonus categories for the Premier card?
      Effective April 19th, 2015, unless you are participating in a limited-time offer, you will earn:Airlines are classified as merchants that provide air travel. Hotels are classified as merchants that provide sleeping or meeting room accommodations, and may include goods and services that are on a bill for these accommodations by a hotel, motel or inn. Car rental agencies are classified as merchants that provide short-term or long-term rentals of cars. Travel agencies are classified as merchants that provide travel information and booking services, and include travel aggregators and tour operators. Gas stations are classified as merchants that sell fuel for consumer use and may or may not be attended. Commuter transportation is classified as merchants that provide suburban and local mass passenger transportation over regular routes and on regular schedules, including ferries, commuter railways and subways. Taxis/limousines are classified as merchants that provide passenger transportation services for hire and includes horse-drawn cabs and carriages, bicycle taxis, aerial tramways, airport shuttles or cable cars. Passenger railways are classified as merchants that primarily provide long-distance transportation and may include overnight accommodations on the train. Cruise lines are classified as merchants that provide passenger transportation on the open sea or inland waters for the purpose of vacation or pleasure and operate predefined and advertised routes. Bridge and road tolls are classified as merchants who collect fees associated with toll roads, highways and bridges. Parking lots/garages are classified as merchants that provide temporary parking services for automobiles, usually on an hourly, daily or monthly contract or fee basis. Campgrounds and trailer parks are classified as merchants that provide overnight or short-term campsites for recreational vehicles, trailers, campers, or tents. Timeshares are classified as retailers that sell, lease, and rent timeshare real estate and arrange timeshare condominium exchanges. Bus lines are classified passenger bus transportation services that operate on a regular schedule over predetermined routes. Motor home and recreational vehicle rentals are classified as merchants that rent motor homes, RVs, pop-up campers, tent trailers, and other recreational vehicles on a daily, short-term, or extended-term basis. Boat leases and boat rentals are classified as merchants that primarily provide boat rental and leasing services, including fishing boats, non-crew houseboats, sail boats, powerboats, jet skis, and yachts.

Restaurants are classified as dining establishments that primarily prepare food and drinks for immediate consumption by consumers, either on the merchant’s premises or packaged for takeout, and include bars, cocktail lounges, discotheques, nightclubs, taverns and fast food restaurants. Sports promoters are classified as merchants that operate and promote live sporting events (professional or semi-professional), and may also include sports stadiums. Theatrical promoters are classified as merchants that operate live theatrical productions or concerts, and include ticketing agencies. Movie theaters are classified as establishments that sell tickets and refreshments for movie productions. Amusement parks (including zoos, circuses and aquariums) are classified as establishments that operate parks or carnivals and offer mechanical rides and games and/or live animal shows. Tourist attractions and museums (including art galleries) are classified as establishments that operate attractions and exhibits for tourists. Record stores are classified as establishments that sell CDs and related items, including online record stores. Video rental stores are classified as merchants that rent DVDs and/or games and related equipment for consumer use, including online video rentals.

We do not determine how merchants or establishments are classified, however, they are generally classified based upon the merchant's primary line of business. We reserve the right to determine which purchases qualify for this offer. Purchases not eligible to receive the additional ThankYou Points include, but are not limited to, purchases made at warehouse clubs, discount stores, department stores and convenience stores.

You may earn ThankYou Points as long as your Card Account is open and current. If your Card Account is closed, you will not be able to earn ThankYou Points and you will lose any accumulated ThankYou Points that have not been transferred to your ThankYou Member Account. Balance transfers, cash advances, convenience checks, returned purchases, disputed or unauthorized purchases/fraudulent transactions, finance charges, Card Account fees, and fees for services and programs you elect to receive through us do not earn ThankYou Points unless otherwise specified.

If you do not already have a ThankYou Rewards Member Account ("ThankYou Member Account"), one will be set up for you. ThankYou Points earned from purchases post to your Card Account at the close of each billing cycle, and at that time we will transfer the ThankYou Points you earned to your ThankYou Member Account. (Bonus ThankYou Points may take one to two additional billing cycles to post to your Card Account.) ThankYou Points are not eligible for redemption until they are transferred to your ThankYou Member Account. ThankYou Points may not be redeemed and may be lost if your Card Account is not open or current.
      What happens to my TY points if I close my card account?Please see the wiki at Citi ThankYou points - cancel, downgrade & expiration considerations
      • 3 ThankYou Points for every dollar you spend on purchases at airlines, hotels, car rental agencies, travel agencies, gas stations, commuter transportation, taxi/limousines, passenger railways, cruise lines, bridge and road tolls, parking lots/garages, campgrounds and trailer parks, time shares, bus lines, motor home/RV rental and boat rentals;
      • 2 ThankYou Points for every dollar you spend on purchases at restaurants and on select entertainment merchants, including sports promoters, theatrical promoters, movie theaters, amusement parks, tourist attractions, record stores and video rental stores; and
      • 1 ThankYou Point for every dollar you spend on other purchases.
Print Wikipost

Citi Premier MasterCard (60,000 points for $4,000 spend in 3 months)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2018, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by bbriscoe34
It was a mailer with a code on it. I've already used it and was approved. My question was if my wife could use the same code a 2nd time? Or is it one use only?
Citi mailers are all "one (app) and done" for several months now.

My guess is if you try to use it again, the app won't even load. It will say something like 'invalid code', or even 'page not found'. That's your cue that the mailer is used up.

Not a problem for us, as we are getting two mailers every month; all to the same person. Which is all we can use, due to the 33 day rule. But for couples only getting one mailer, I'm sure it's frustrating.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 9:42 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist Marriott Gold AA EXP
Originally Posted by RobertHanson
Citi mailers are all "one (app) and done" for several months now.

My guess is if you try to use it again, the app won't even load. It will say something like 'invalid code', or even 'page not found'. That's your cue that the mailer is used up.

Not a problem for us, as we are getting two mailers every month; all to the same person. Which is all we can use, due to the 33 day rule. But for couples only getting one mailer, I'm sure it's frustrating.
Does the 24 month rule not apply on the mailers?

Although I guess this would only help me for churning if I got a mailer for the business cards, as I'm trying to stay under 5/24 in personal cards for Chase apps.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 8:11 pm

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Does the 24 month rule not apply on the mailers?

Although I guess this would only help me for churning if I got a mailer for the business cards, as I'm trying to stay under 5/24 in personal cards for Chase apps.
It doesn't apply to mailers that specifically DO NOT have the 24-month restriction anywhere in the fine print...which is why they have been getting around the restriction. So look and see if that restriction is anywhere to be found.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 9:53 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist Marriott Gold AA EXP
Originally Posted by fredc84
It doesn't apply to mailers that specifically DO NOT have the 24-month restriction anywhere in the fine print...which is why they have been getting around the restriction. So look and see if that restriction is anywhere to be found.
Does not matter because this is my first personal citi TY card in about six years. And I’m now at 4/24 and I’m holding out Until the end of March to get another Chase ink preferred 80,000 point bonus.

But I am curious if they ever send out the mailers without time language for the AA business cards that don’t count against Chase 5/24?
Old Dec 26, 2018, 9:57 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
....ever send out the mailers without time language for the AA business cards that don’t count against Chase 5/24? [/left]
Information about AA cards and mailers is in THIS thread. There are AA Business mailers, but no consensus on how to elicit a business mailer rather than a personal offer:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi...-business.html
Old Dec 26, 2018, 6:49 pm

Saw this advertisement for the Citi Premier in BKK. Interesting how it’s the same branding/design - usually don’t recall seeing that across markets for a given product.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 9:58 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by sedubby
.... same branding/design ....
Except for the VISA logo.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 12:33 am

Is there a consensus as to the difficulty of approval for this card relative to the citi AA platinums? I have been churning AA plats for some time now, but I would like to diversify my point stash a bit. Citi seems happy to approve me for AA cards, but if they take a much tougher line on their own cards, well, the opportunity cost of a failed application for me is 75k AA miles...
Old Dec 27, 2018, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by allthem
Is there a consensus as to the difficulty of approval for this card relative to the citi AA platinums? I have been churning AA plats for some time now, but I would like to diversify my point stash a bit. Citi seems happy to approve me for AA cards, but if they take a much tougher line on their own cards, well, the opportunity cost of a failed application for me is 75k AA miles...
Just from my own personal experience, I didn't find it any harder to get this card as opposed to the AA cards. I took advantage of the W/WE loophole twice and now I've had 5 cards through mailers. Instant approval for the Premier 3 months ago.
allthem likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 9:50 pm

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Update

Originally Posted by abhilife2001
i.e if spends met on 12/4 and statement date is 12/10, then it should be sometime after 12/10 (say a week) ?
My welcome bonus got posted few days post the statement date, so thought of updating DP.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 11:14 am

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by jags86

Correct, it is the Citi Premier card. It was not a physical mailer but an e-mail with a invitation #. When clicking the link you are asked to input the last name of the intended recipient and then all of the information is prefilled. Everything can be changed, however. For what it’s worth, I did apply and was insta declined.
Just to follow up, I received a letter in the mail today for reason for denial:

”An account may only be issued to the person identified on our original invitation.”

It seems that, at least for e-mail invitation codes, the person who received the invite is truly the only one who can take advantage of the offer.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by jags86

Just to follow up, I received a letter in the mail today for reason for denial:

”An account may only be issued to the person identified on our original invitation.”

It seems that, at least for e-mail invitation codes, the person who received the invite is truly the only one who can take advantage of the offer.
That's been true for some time with the Citi AA card email offers as well. Only the 9 digit offers that come by snail mail can be used by someone other than the designated recipient.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 4:15 pm
Suspended

Not sure if this is helpful to anyone but I was approved for the Premier Card a few weeks ago (50k for $4k spend). After getting the card, I went into my Citi account, got on live chat, and asked to be matched to the previous 60k offer. Chat agent put in the request for me and the 10k points were deposited into my account 3 days later.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by kapooncha
Not sure if this is helpful to anyone but I was approved for the Premier Card a few weeks ago (50k for $4k spend). After getting the card, I went into my Citi account, got on live chat, and asked to be matched to the previous 60k offer. Chat agent put in the request for me and the 10k points were deposited into my account 3 days later.
I applied when in October when 60K offer was alive, is anyone trying to get extra 10K on top of 60k? or not possible?
Old Jan 5, 2019, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by mak101
I applied when in October when 60K offer was alive, is anyone trying to get extra 10K on top of 60k? or not possible?
You have to have a higher offer to match to and, as far as I recall, the 60K offer was touted as the "highest offer ever". So, there is nothing higher to match 60K to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.