Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Premier MasterCard (60,000 points for $4,000 spend in 3 months)

Old Feb 4, 2018, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
This thread is a continuation of discussion from 2015 - 2017.

Is there currently an offer for this card with a signup bonus?

Yes
  • only affiliate 60k links seem to work now; go to https://www.doctorofcredit.com/citi-...ed-first-year/ for a working one and open it in in an Incognito / Private window8
  • 80K TYP for $4k spend/3 months. $95 AF waived for first year.
  • 30K TYP for $3K spend/3 months, $95 AF waived for first year. Open in private/incognito window for best results.
    • Offer not available if you have opened or closed a Preferred, Premier, or Prestige card in the past 24 months.
  • 30K TYP for $3K spend/3 months, $95 AF waived for first year. Open in private/incognito window for best results.
    • Offer not available if you have opened or closed a Preferred, Premier, or Prestige card in the past 24 months.

Does anybody know when the signup bonus will increase?No. Please don't ask in the thread "just to double-check if anybody knows." Nobody knows.

Can I see the number of TYP earned on an individual purchase?No. The best you can do is visit the Account Details page for your card to see how the merchant for a given transaction was categorized.

What are the bonus categories for the Premier card?
      Effective April 19th, 2015, unless you are participating in a limited-time offer, you will earn:Airlines are classified as merchants that provide air travel. Hotels are classified as merchants that provide sleeping or meeting room accommodations, and may include goods and services that are on a bill for these accommodations by a hotel, motel or inn. Car rental agencies are classified as merchants that provide short-term or long-term rentals of cars. Travel agencies are classified as merchants that provide travel information and booking services, and include travel aggregators and tour operators. Gas stations are classified as merchants that sell fuel for consumer use and may or may not be attended. Commuter transportation is classified as merchants that provide suburban and local mass passenger transportation over regular routes and on regular schedules, including ferries, commuter railways and subways. Taxis/limousines are classified as merchants that provide passenger transportation services for hire and includes horse-drawn cabs and carriages, bicycle taxis, aerial tramways, airport shuttles or cable cars. Passenger railways are classified as merchants that primarily provide long-distance transportation and may include overnight accommodations on the train. Cruise lines are classified as merchants that provide passenger transportation on the open sea or inland waters for the purpose of vacation or pleasure and operate predefined and advertised routes. Bridge and road tolls are classified as merchants who collect fees associated with toll roads, highways and bridges. Parking lots/garages are classified as merchants that provide temporary parking services for automobiles, usually on an hourly, daily or monthly contract or fee basis. Campgrounds and trailer parks are classified as merchants that provide overnight or short-term campsites for recreational vehicles, trailers, campers, or tents. Timeshares are classified as retailers that sell, lease, and rent timeshare real estate and arrange timeshare condominium exchanges. Bus lines are classified passenger bus transportation services that operate on a regular schedule over predetermined routes. Motor home and recreational vehicle rentals are classified as merchants that rent motor homes, RVs, pop-up campers, tent trailers, and other recreational vehicles on a daily, short-term, or extended-term basis. Boat leases and boat rentals are classified as merchants that primarily provide boat rental and leasing services, including fishing boats, non-crew houseboats, sail boats, powerboats, jet skis, and yachts.

Restaurants are classified as dining establishments that primarily prepare food and drinks for immediate consumption by consumers, either on the merchants premises or packaged for takeout, and include bars, cocktail lounges, discotheques, nightclubs, taverns and fast food restaurants. Sports promoters are classified as merchants that operate and promote live sporting events (professional or semi-professional), and may also include sports stadiums. Theatrical promoters are classified as merchants that operate live theatrical productions or concerts, and include ticketing agencies. Movie theaters are classified as establishments that sell tickets and refreshments for movie productions. Amusement parks (including zoos, circuses and aquariums) are classified as establishments that operate parks or carnivals and offer mechanical rides and games and/or live animal shows. Tourist attractions and museums (including art galleries) are classified as establishments that operate attractions and exhibits for tourists. Record stores are classified as establishments that sell CDs and related items, including online record stores. Video rental stores are classified as merchants that rent DVDs and/or games and related equipment for consumer use, including online video rentals.

We do not determine how merchants or establishments are classified, however, they are generally classified based upon the merchant's primary line of business. We reserve the right to determine which purchases qualify for this offer. Purchases not eligible to receive the additional ThankYou Points include, but are not limited to, purchases made at warehouse clubs, discount stores, department stores and convenience stores.

You may earn ThankYou Points as long as your Card Account is open and current. If your Card Account is closed, you will not be able to earn ThankYou Points and you will lose any accumulated ThankYou Points that have not been transferred to your ThankYou Member Account. Balance transfers, cash advances, convenience checks, returned purchases, disputed or unauthorized purchases/fraudulent transactions, finance charges, Card Account fees, and fees for services and programs you elect to receive through us do not earn ThankYou Points unless otherwise specified.

If you do not already have a ThankYou Rewards Member Account ("ThankYou Member Account"), one will be set up for you. ThankYou Points earned from purchases post to your Card Account at the close of each billing cycle, and at that time we will transfer the ThankYou Points you earned to your ThankYou Member Account. (Bonus ThankYou Points may take one to two additional billing cycles to post to your Card Account.) ThankYou Points are not eligible for redemption until they are transferred to your ThankYou Member Account. ThankYou Points may not be redeemed and may be lost if your Card Account is not open or current.
      What happens to my TY points if I close my card account?Please see the wiki at Citi ThankYou points - cancel, downgrade & expiration considerations
      • 3 ThankYou Points for every dollar you spend on purchases at airlines, hotels, car rental agencies, travel agencies, gas stations, commuter transportation, taxi/limousines, passenger railways, cruise lines, bridge and road tolls, parking lots/garages, campgrounds and trailer parks, time shares, bus lines, motor home/RV rental and boat rentals;
      • 2 ThankYou Points for every dollar you spend on purchases at restaurants and on select entertainment merchants, including sports promoters, theatrical promoters, movie theaters, amusement parks, tourist attractions, record stores and video rental stores; and
      • 1 ThankYou Point for every dollar you spend on other purchases.
Print Wikipost

Citi Premier MasterCard (60,000 points for $4,000 spend in 3 months)

Old Jun 14, 2018, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cs3dt
Apologies if this isn't the right thread and feel free to redirect, but...

I recently signed up for a Premier card with the new 50k bonus and after the fact discovered the 24 month restriction, then realized that I opened my Prestige (still open) ~23 months prior. What's my likelihood of actually receiving my signup bonus given the 24 month rule?
Pretty small. Basically only if they make a mistake in your favor. If they deny you the bonus for this reason, you pretty much have nothing you can do about it.

And now you'll have wait yet another 24= months (since they often make mistakes in the other direction, it's better to wait even longer than 24.0 months) before you can try again.

Have you gotten your welcome letter yet? If so, does it say anything about the signup bonus one way or the other?
Old Jul 6, 2018, 10:09 am

For anyone who's gotten this card recently, has anyone tried pooling their Citi Premier account with a Citi Prestige account?

A year ago, Frequent Miler laid out a plan - found here: https://frequentmiler.boardingarea.c...ankyou-points/ - for possible redemption of TYP at 1.67 cents per point.

However, this is contingent on TYP from the Citi Premier being worth 1.25 cents towards TRAVEL redemptions. This no longer appears to be the case as the fine print for the current Citi TY Premier now states: "ThankYou Points are worth 25% more when redeemed for airfare through the ThankYou Travel Center, as compared to gift cards redeemed from the ThankYou Rewards collection.

I was wondering if anyone was able to get the 1.67 cpp from pooling this current TY Premier with a Prestige account. I'm doubtful it'll work, but it's still useful to have datapoints.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 1:15 am

How long is it actually taking for the 50,000 bonus points to post after meeting the $4,000 spend? I met the spend last month and the statement just closed yesterday but the 50,000 points we not on there. I did a Live Chat and the rep told me "6 to 8 weeks" after meeting the spend. So do I have to wait until the next statement close, or can the bonus TYPs be sent off-cycle.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 3:01 am

Originally Posted by wtg_miro
For anyone who's gotten this card recently, has anyone tried pooling their Citi Premier account with a Citi Prestige account?

A year ago, Frequent Miler laid out a plan - found here: https://frequentmiler.boardingarea.c...ankyou-points/ - for possible redemption of TYP at 1.67 cents per point.

However, this is contingent on TYP from the Citi Premier being worth 1.25 cents towards TRAVEL redemptions. This no longer appears to be the case as the fine print for the current Citi TY Premier now states: "ThankYou Points are worth 25% more when redeemed for airfare through the ThankYou Travel Center, as compared to gift cards redeemed from the ThankYou Rewards collection.

I was wondering if anyone was able to get the 1.67 cpp from pooling this current TY Premier with a Prestige account. I'm doubtful it'll work, but it's still useful to have datapoints.
I think the method still works.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by gq_dq
How long is it actually taking for the 50,000 bonus points to post after meeting the $4,000 spend? I met the spend last month and the statement just closed yesterday but the 50,000 points we not on there. I did a Live Chat and the rep told me "6 to 8 weeks" after meeting the spend. So do I have to wait until the next statement close, or can the bonus TYPs be sent off-cycle.
My first statement closed yesterday and all points (50K+points from my spend) were already available.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 9:18 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum

It never really was 1.67 cpp for anyone who's doing real math, but it is still available. The 1.67 assumes the 33% bonus value that's implicit in Prestige's 4th night free benefit. So for 4-night hotel reservations, if you have Prestige + Premier, you get 4th night free (Prestige) and 1.25cpp (Premier). Stacked together you get 1.33 * 1.25 = 1.67 cpp. But that's not real since the cash rate you could pay still gets the Prestige 4th night free. In other words, a hotel that costs $100/night would be $400 for a 4-night stay. With Prestige, you can pay $300, or with Prestige + Premier you can redeem 24k TY points for the stay. To me, it's pretty clear you're getting 1.25 cpp ($300/.0125), but FM claims you're getting 1.67 cpp based on $400/.0125.
mia and milesforhire like this.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by dukerau
It never really was 1.67 cpp for anyone who's doing real math, but it is still available. The 1.67 assumes the 33% bonus value that's implicit in Prestige's 4th night free benefit. So for 4-night hotel reservations, if you have Prestige + Premier, you get 4th night free (Prestige) and 1.25cpp (Premier). Stacked together you get 1.33 * 1.25 = 1.67 cpp. But that's not real since the cash rate you could pay still gets the Prestige 4th night free. In other words, a hotel that costs $100/night would be $400 for a 4-night stay. With Prestige, you can pay $300, or with Prestige + Premier you can redeem 24k TY points for the stay. To me, it's pretty clear you're getting 1.25 cpp ($300/.0125), but FM claims you're getting 1.67 cpp based on $400/.0125.
Yeah I understand the flawed math behind his line of thinking, but I just liked the idea of being able to cash out with less points in a points-rich situation, at the opportunity cost of paying with real cash (and thus earning the 1200 TYP in your scenario).

I was more focused on the verbiage for "newer" cardholders, that the Premier can only cash out TYP at a 1.25 cpp rate for AIRFARE-only. I'm sure cardmembers who signed up to the previous agreement (I'd like to say before they brought back the 50k sign-up bonus year) fall under the 1.25 cpp for CITI-BOOKED TRAVEL. The AIRFARE-only redemption option seems to have been overlooked by a lot of bloggers. Either way, I recently signed up for the Premier. Under the new TOS, I'm not particularly hopeful about the 1.25 cpp for CITI-BOOKED TRAVEL.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 10:12 pm

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
I was more focused on the verbiage for "newer" cardholders, that the Premier can only cash out TYP at a 1.25 cpp rate for AIRFARE-only. I'm sure cardmembers who signed up to the previous agreement (I'd like to say before they brought back the 50k sign-up bonus year) fall under the 1.25 cpp for CITI-BOOKED TRAVEL. The AIRFARE-only redemption option seems to have been overlooked by a lot of bloggers. Either way, I recently signed up for the Premier. Under the new TOS, I'm not particularly hopeful about the 1.25 cpp for CITI-BOOKED TRAVEL.
New cardholder here (a month). I can confirm that it's still 1.25 cpp for hotels as well.
wtg_miro and milesforhire like this.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
60,000 TYP Signup Offer found here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/co...fer_af_waived/
and
https://www.citicards.com/cards/cred...JT&t=t&naInd=M
Old Jul 28, 2018, 10:13 am

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
IMHO the value of TYP really depends on what you're planning to redeem.

I pretty much earn TYP and transfer all to Turkish Airlines, where I typically get 2-3 cpp value out of it (Business Saver Award), so is it worth 2.5 cpp overall? Obviously not.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 1:26 pm

I was matched from 50K to 60K today on my second attempt - FYI if you tried and failed!
vincewy and levilevi like this.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 4:03 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Originally Posted by moe8555
I was matched from 50K to 60K today on my second attempt - FYI if you tried and failed!
Many many thanks for the tip. I got it matched too, in my case, I've already hit 4K spending and my next statement period is about to end so perfect timing. Those extra 10K points (miles) will at least help me save $300 in case I need to top up miles to redeem airfares.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 8:20 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by moe8555
New cardholder here (a month). I can confirm that it's still 1.25 cpp for hotels as well.
Thanks for the DP. I saw those terms and was wondering if they yanked the hotel option. Perhaps the text was always like that and they have been doing it for both anyways.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 9:42 am

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
Thanks for the 60K link. Took screen shots of everything as I applied. Afterwards looking at the approval, it is stating there is a $95 fee, rather than "$95 Fee, waived first year" like I expected.

Anyone else experience that, or is that just an oversight of their approval web site?
Old Aug 3, 2018, 2:49 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
Did anyone apply for the AA card over two weeks ago then applied for this and got instant approval?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.