Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi annual fee scam for Hilton Honors Reserve card holders?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2018, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte

My annual fee for this card posted in Oct. and I called to have the fee removed, but was rebuffed. Citi couldn't provide any information about the annual fee and why they were charging it for only two months, but wouldn't remove it....said to call back in Jan.

I call back today and they now say they can't do anything except accept payments - everything else is frozen and I will need to talk to AMEX if I get charged another annual fee for the card. Furthermore the representative went on to say that if AMEX did charge an annual fee for the card, I could always cancel it and get that fee back.

However, that doesn't account for the friggin fee charged by CITI.

Did this happen to anyone else?
Old Jan 20, 2018, 11:56 am

I canceled my hilton reserve and citi said they would be refunding some prorated amount of the annual fee.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Originally Posted by trouble747
I canceled my hilton reserve and citi said they would be refunding some prorated amount of the annual fee.
I didn't want to cancel because I was owed a free night through spend.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pharmawalk
My annual fee for this card posted in Oct. and I called to have the fee removed, but was rebuffed. Citi couldn't provide any information about the annual fee and why they were charging it for only two months, but wouldn't remove it....said to call back in Jan.
They're not charging it for only two months. The information that you were assessed an annual fee in October is being transferred to Amex. Your annual fee at Amex will be on about the same schedule, ie, around October 2018.

It would be a violation of all sorts of laws if Amex tried to charge you another annual fee after just two months, simply because they had bought your account. They can't take over accounts that have annual fees from other banks without having a way in place to synchronize the account year from old bank to the new bank.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.