Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Prestige secondary card fee

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2017, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Prestige secondary card fee

Hello, has anyone had any success with getting Citi to waive the $50 fee for adding a second card to their prestige account? I’d like to get a card for my wife but not sure about paying the fee.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 4:08 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt LT Global Elitist, Bonvyoed LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by noahsi
Hello, has anyone had any success with getting Citi to waive the $50 fee for adding a second card to their prestige account? I’d like to get a card for my wife but not sure about paying the fee.
Just order it, get it in the mail, then cancel it and get the fee refunded. Citi does not issue different card numbers for additional card holders so even though the secondary card is "cancelled" it will still work.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 7:29 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by roder
... Citi does not issue different card numbers for additional card holders....
True, but the information on the magnetic stripe and EMV chip is different, and Citi can see whose card was used.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 8:59 am

your magnetic stripe is worn, get a replacement card as a duplicate - no one checks the name
seawolf likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt LT Global Elitist, Bonvyoed LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by mia
True, but the information on the magnetic stripe and EMV chip is different, and Citi can see whose card was used.
Could they see it? Probably. All I can tell you is that I personally have used this method with both Citi and Chase without incident for quite some time, including at present with EMV chip-based transactions. Never been denied or had an issue.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 1:39 pm
mia

If you can be bothered, it would be interesting if you would find a Citi transaction made (in person, not online or by telephone) with your spouse's cancelled card, expand the online entry, and see whose name appears in the Card Member field.

Nov. 07, 2017 STARBUCKS STORE 08267 MIAMI FL
Transaction Type: Purchases
Posted Date: Nov. 07, 2017
Category: Restaurants - FAST FOOD RESTAURANTS
Reference Number: XXXXXXXX
Card Member: Whose name appears here?
Merchant Country: United States
Old Dec 19, 2017, 5:57 am

If your intent to get the card for your wife is for the Priority Pass, that will be cancelled if you cancel her card. If that is not the intent, pay the $50 and be done with it. No need to fool around for $50. With that said, you can always ask if there is a retention offer for the secondary card. Keep in mind that the annual fee for secondary cards are prorated based upon when you opened your account, so at least for the first year, it may actually be less than $50.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 8:31 am
mia

A previous version of Prestige (or Chairman) offered a free AU card without the Priority Pass benefit. You might ask if this is available as an unpublished option.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 9:41 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by roder
Could they see it? Probably. All I can tell you is that I personally have used this method with both Citi and Chase without incident for quite some time, including at present with EMV chip-based transactions. Never been denied or had an issue.
The point is Citi can determine the cancelled AU card is being used. Whether they decide to come back and charge the AU fee once they see the cancelled card is still being used despite primary cancelling AU card and getting AU fee refund is a different issue.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Just to update, I did get the authorized user card for my wife it was a pretty low prorated rate as I was near to the renewal time anyway. Renewal for both is now next month and I will cancel the second card and test if this method works. There’s no downside... worse case will reinstate the second card if it doesn’t. Stay tuned...
Old Aug 30, 2018, 9:20 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
Any update?
Old Aug 31, 2018, 6:25 am
Original Poster

Yea, I called to cancel the secondary card and they gave me a retention offer to keep it, so I did. Failed experiment but it worked out for me. Also now that prestige is closed for new users I wonder if they are still issuing new secondary cards?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.