Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Forward accounts being converted to Citi Preferred MasterCard on January 3, 2018

Citi Forward accounts being converted to Citi Preferred MasterCard on January 3, 2018

Old Dec 7, 2017, 12:11 pm

I have a Citi Forward Thankyou card that will be converting on Jan 3.
I am eligible for a Citi TY sign up bonus as I have NOT opened or closed a Citi card within the TY brand within the past 24 months.
I have found an active link for Citi's Thankyou Premier Card offering 50K TY points after $4K spend in 90days (see https://www.doctorofcredit.com/citi-...ilable-online/).
I currently have some other spending commitments on some other credit cards - but by the end of Dec I think I would have financial bandwidth to meet the $4K 90 day commitment.
I assume that as long as I apply for the "Citi's Thankyou Premier Card offering 50K" and get approved before Jan 2nd - then I will get the bonus.
Is the above assumption correct?

If so I will probably apply about 10 days before Jan 3 - to allow time to get approval.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 1:28 pm

^should work, but it's Citi we're dealing with so who really knows?
Old Dec 18, 2017, 5:35 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
Just got a reminder e-mail from Citi to activate my new Preferred card and I will get $50 statement credit after spending $500 by April 30, 2018,
Old Dec 20, 2017, 9:35 am

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Calling Citi second time to convert to Dividend or Double Cash, and they say that they can't convert to anything, except of TY Preferred. The only solution is to cancel, I think. They told me that the clock will not reset, but I don't believe them.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by yugi
Calling Citi second time to convert to Dividend or Double Cash, and they say that they can't convert to anything, except of TY Preferred. The only solution is to cancel, I think. They told me that the clock will not reset, but I don't believe them.
Product conversion at Citi takes 2 months. You only have time to cancel without resetting the clock (provided the conversion to TY-Pref has still not started). I would also not believe any assurance coming from a Citi rep.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by dangw20
Citi confirmed we will receive a new account number, which according to this article* will be considered a new account and reset the 24-month clock
Just because a new account number will be issued, it is not equivalent the account is a new account and will reset the clock. A classic example is a replacement card due to fraud prevention.

Beside in this case - the new account is neither opened or closed. It is simply a PC, an involuntary one.

Originally Posted by dangw20
Proactively closing your Citi Forward card before January 3, 2018 may not prevent the 24-month clock from restarting based on this post in another thread saying Citi denied a sign up bonus for a Citi ThankYou family of cards because of a closed Citi Forward card.
For those who are afraid of the 24-month clock, the only way to guarantee you are not affected is to get approved a new TY card before the product change or proactive close.

Also - based on the linked post, it sounds like to me that OP was ineligible because of the ATT Access Card rather than Citi Forward, despite it was said by Citi.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 9:53 am

Is the Citi 24 month rule (for getting the bonus points) based on a credit cards "approval date or activation date"?

IE
Today I was approved for the Citi ThankYou Premier Card.
They indicate that my card should be arriving in 7-10 business days.
That means I may not get the card until Jan 3 - Jan 5.
So my approval date for this card is Dec 21.
But its activation data may not happen until Jan 5.

My current Citi Forward TY card converts to a new Citi TY card on Jan 3 - which will reset the clock on getting TY bonus points.

So if the 24 month bonus rule is based on approval date - i will be ok.
But if it is based on the activation date - i will not get the bonus.

Thanks in advance
Old Dec 21, 2017, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by path2
Is the Citi 24 month rule (for getting the bonus points) based on a credit cards "approval date or activation date"?
For new accounts, approval date would be considered the account open date (the one that counts).
Also the 24mo rule as currently incuded in Citi TY apps, does not include the Forward card.
So your situation looks favorable for getting another TY card bonus now.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 2:25 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by garykung
Just because a new account number will be issued, it is not equivalent the account is a new account and will reset the clock. A classic example is a replacement card due to fraud prevention.

Beside in this case - the new account is neither opened or closed. It is simply a PC, an involuntary one.

For those who are afraid of the 24-month clock, the only way to guarantee you are not affected is to get approved a new TY card before the product change or proactive close.

Also - based on the linked post, it sounds like to me that OP was ineligible because of the ATT Access Card rather than Citi Forward, despite it was said by Citi.
I've got a bonus on Prestige with AT&T opened less than 2 years ago. The terms only listed Preferred, Premier and Prestige, but not any other TY cards.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I've got a bonus on Prestige with AT&T opened less than 2 years ago. The terms only listed Preferred, Premier and Prestige, but not any other TY cards.
AFAICT - the 24-month policy exists less than 2 years ago. So it is difficult to say how Citi enforces it.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 12:00 pm
kd_

How long do we have to wait between PCs? I saw references to 12 months because of the CARD act but I really don't want to it on a TY Preferred for a year...
Old Jan 4, 2018, 8:33 am

Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Im seeing a "AA Gold" card online... IT strikes again.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 9:48 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
A short time ago it was 18 months I believe, someone correct me if I'm wrong. We can't judge the enforcement of the 24 month rule quite yet.

Originally Posted by kd_
How long do we have to wait between PCs? I saw references to 12 months because of the CARD act but I really don't want to it on a TY Preferred for a year...
Yes, 12 statements minimum. However, when I changed my old TY Preferred to a DC, I was able to change the DC to a Diamond Preferred before the DC was one year old. I'm not sure how or why they did it, but it happened (long story).
Old Jan 6, 2018, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
A short time ago it was 18 months I believe, someone correct me if I'm wrong. We can't judge the enforcement of the 24 month rule quite yet.
Not such a short time IMHO. In fact, it was so long ago that the thread below (which includes the starting date of the change) about that change to 24 months was a Sticky in this forum for about year, but "a short time ago" it got de-stickied because it no longer seemed "news",

August 2016: Citi limit 1 personal card bonus per program (AA/EX/HH/TY) in 24 months.

So we actually have well over a year's worth of datapoints to judge the enforcement on it. And, yes, it's very much enforced as stated, and sometimes even with mistakes to the detriment of the applicant (a couple cases have included them saying a business card counted against a personal card when it shouldn't , and a TYP card counting against Prestige/Premier/Preferred applications that was not list of cards the T&Cs said would count ).

Last edited by sdsearch; Jan 6, 2018 at 6:54 pm
Old Jan 31, 2018, 6:19 am

Programs: DL, AA, BA, SPG
AT&T?

Anyone successful converting your converted Forward into AT&T Access More or AT&T Access?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.