Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi ThankYou added Avianca LifeMiles as transfer partner

Citi ThankYou added Avianca LifeMiles as transfer partner

Reply

Old Jan 18, 18, 1:18 am
  #16  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,596
I'd love to see at least one ultimate data point in this thread -- somebody getting a valid award ticket out of Avianca. Better yet, having flown on that ticket.
MaxVO is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 18, 4:14 pm
  #17  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: HPN
Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Posts: 3,185
Originally Posted by MaxVO View Post
I'd love to see at least one ultimate data point in this thread -- somebody getting a valid award ticket out of Avianca. Better yet, having flown on that ticket.
Well, I managed to at least get the miles transferred. Even though the Citi agent insisted the transaction had been processed, when I logged in the next day, the transaction history said the transaction had failed. So I tried it again and the miles transferred instantaneously.

But now the LifeMiles website won't let me book the ticket I want, saying I don't have enough miles (even though I do).
snic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 18, 7:30 pm
  #18  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: home = LAX
Posts: 23,588
Exclamation Avianca Lifemiles expiration changing (for the worse)!

Effective April 15, redeeming will no longer defer (reset) Avianca Lifemiles expiration, only earning (including transfer from Citi TYP) will.

Also effective April 15, those without Avianca status and without an Avianca credit card will have their expiration cut in half from 24 months to just 12 months.

So, combining these two, you may want to plan to periodically (twice a year?) transfer a bit of your TYP points to Avianca, rather than transferring everything at once a letting it sit (if you don't have an immediate redemption).
sdsearch is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 18, 11:56 pm
  #19  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,596
Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
...you may want to plan to periodically (twice a year?) transfer a bit of your TYP points to Avianca...
I'm not yet confident there's travel at the end of those TYP transfers. If I wanted to find a charitable cause to make a donation, it will not be Avianca.
MaxVO is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 18, 7:46 am
  #20  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: HPN
Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Posts: 3,185
Originally Posted by MaxVO View Post
I'm not yet confident there's travel at the end of those TYP transfers. If I wanted to find a charitable cause to make a donation, it will not be Avianca.
There are plenty of reports of people using LifeMiles to book tickets (and travel on them) - see the Avianca forum. There is no reason to suspect that LifeMiles that accrue from Thank You points transfers are treated any differently from other LifeMiles.

In fact, once I figured out what was causing the website error, I managed to book the ticket I wanted, using points entirely transferred from Citi.

(This is not to say that dealing with LifeMiles' glitchy website and unimpowered, disinterested phone agents is in any way a pleasure. Making these bookings requires persistence, patience, tolerance and an iron will.)
MaxVO likes this.
snic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 18, 7:48 am
  #21  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Programs: *A
Posts: 1,236
Initiated a transfer this morning. Received the LifeMiles email that I had new miles before receiving the Citi email confirming the transfer. Redeemed the miles online painlessly. Only thing that caught me out was the $25 pp award fee.
sds1493 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 18, 7:52 pm
  #22  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 26,872
Honestly unless you have travel plan in the immediate future i would not "park" the TYPs there - this is an airline constantly sells their miles with 40 to 100% bonus all year long. Just shortly after their last promotion of selling miles, and the TYP adding it as a transfer partner, Avianca making only earning would count to keep the miles alive. And if you are not their elites nor own their credit card, your expiration is only 12 months.

While Aeroplan also only has 12 months life, it is easier to extend the life - Each $3 spent at Esso in Canada would earn 1 Aeroplan mile. Some kind souls in the Air Canada forum would even be willing to do that as one time help should you really need it. Else AMEX transfer would suffice though at 1K a pop. As far as Star Alliance goes, booking Aeroplan probably is still easier to deal with than booking Avianca.
Happy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 18, 11:37 am
  #23  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: home = LAX
Posts: 23,588
Originally Posted by Happy View Post
Honestly unless you have travel plan in the immediate future i would not "park" the TYPs there - this is an airline constantly sells their miles with 40 to 100% bonus all year long. Just shortly after their last promotion of selling miles, and the TYP adding it as a transfer partner, Avianca making only earning would count to keep the miles alive. And if you are not their elites nor own their credit card, your expiration is only 12 months.

While Aeroplan also only has 12 months life, it is easier to extend the life - Each $3 spent at Esso in Canada would earn 1 Aeroplan mile. Some kind souls in the Air Canada forum would even be willing to do that as one time help should you really need it. Else AMEX transfer would suffice though at 1K a pop. As far as Star Alliance goes, booking Aeroplan probably is still easier to deal with than booking Avianca.
Except you're forgetting that Aeroplan (as Air Canda's program) is not long for this world. And Air Canada has not promised any transferablitiy from Aeroplan (which will stop being an Air Canada partner) to whatever AIr Canada's replacement miles program will be.

So Aeroplan IMHO does not make sense for "parking" unless you're absolutely sure you'll use up the miles before Aeroplan and AirCanada part ways in a couple years (June 2020).

And so in light of that, is Avianca really worse? Yes, you have to figure out how to earn Avianca once a year. But at least you can keep doing that for years. To me, that's still better than Aeroplan which its assisted suicide plans.

Hopefully once Air Canada debuts its new miles program, that will become the perfect "parking" place. But that doesn't help people who need to "park" now.
sdsearch is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 18, 12:13 pm
  #24  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 261
I found this thread because I got the error from Citi when transferring. I tried the entire transaction again, and it went through instantly.

I booked a $300 r/t ticket in Peru for 9,000 points + $8, and it was pretty painless.

Unless there are surprises for me in store when I check in at the airport, etc. then it was a very useful and easy use of Citi points. Just wanted to share that data point as I worried when I saw all the negative comments!

Hope it's helpful
mileshusband likes this.
dval44 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 18, 4:50 pm
  #25  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 14
Found the unicorn unblocked partner F space but now cast into the TYP transfer blind spot.. Transfer out successful, but not yet arrived into LM
mileshusband is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 18, 7:54 am
  #26  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 14
Does anyone know which LifeMiles account number is the "Old" vs the "New".. One number begins with "1" and the other begins with "5". Both numbers are in your LM profile. Am speculating whether the table on Avianca side that links the old and new accounts together may be causing the delay in Citi transfers posting.
mileshusband is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 18, 10:25 am
  #27  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: DEN
Posts: 9
This just happened to me yesterday, error from Citi website, but points deducted from Citi account and received confirmation emails from Citi. No points in my LifeMiles account. Called both Citi and LifeMiles and both told me to call the other...ugh. Hoping that something pops into LifeMiles account before the end of their Partner sale for Asia flights, ending 9/18. Waiting with bated breath.
kohoutc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 18, 3:05 pm
  #28  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: DEN
Posts: 9
To close the loop on my issue. I spent a couple of hours making calls to LifeMiles support and Citi ThankYou support. The friendliness and help from LifeMiles was surprising and unexpected based on stories of heard about their call center. Although the overall experience was frustrating, they were great. I called them five times and never experienced a wait time, english speakers were clear and polite and eventually they told me "Citi has not sent the miles to your account." With that, I called Citi back up for the fourth time and spoke to a very competent agent who essentially redeposited my Citi points, tried the transaction again and they posted IMMEDIATELY.
kohoutc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 18, 11:57 am
  #29  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Programs: IHG Platinum
Posts: 400
Originally Posted by kohoutc View Post
To close the loop on my issue. I spent a couple of hours making calls to LifeMiles support and Citi ThankYou support. The friendliness and help from LifeMiles was surprising and unexpected based on stories of heard about their call center. Although the overall experience was frustrating, they were great. I called them five times and never experienced a wait time, english speakers were clear and polite and eventually they told me "Citi has not sent the miles to your account." With that, I called Citi back up for the fourth time and spoke to a very competent agent who essentially redeposited my Citi points, tried the transaction again and they posted IMMEDIATELY.

Now I know I wasnít losing my mind when my TY points did not transfer instantly on September 9. Just got off the phone with ThankYou customer service and they told me they canít cancel the transfer and redeposit my points until the 15th day, and no one at ThankYou knows what the cause is for the delays. Really? No one knows whatís going on since at least September 9?
sleuth is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 18, 7:43 am
  #30  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Programs: Ink/Sapphire/Freedom/SPG
Posts: 284
Waiting past 2-3 days to get my points in lifemiles, crazy ,, have a ticket to book for next month :-(
rocky_nnc is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread