Search

Citi: better to close or convert?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2017, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLAT, *wood Gold, Marriott Silver
Citi: better to close or convert?

It's an old questions, but need a fresh answer:

My Citi Visa Plat came for renewal, and they refuse to waive the $95 fee. Is consensus to CLOSE the account or keep it open and CONVERT to a no fee card?

I know closing a Citi account can disqualify me from getting a future bonus. Does Convert have the same repercussions?
Old Sep 28, 2017, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dave_SEA
It's an old questions, but need a fresh answer:

My Citi Visa Plat came for renewal, and they refuse to waive the $95 fee. Is consensus to CLOSE the account or keep it open and CONVERT to a no fee card?

I know closing a Citi account can disqualify me from getting a future bonus. Does Convert have the same repercussions?
Specifically, it will disqualify you for about 24 (25 to be safe) months. Not forever. And only on the personal cards, not on the business card. And in case you get any physical mailers, you might (depending on the type of mailer) qualify for applying with one of those sooner.

Convert probably would have the same repercussions, since I don't think you can convert to another Visa (since Citi hardly has any other Visas any more), and it's far more likely to be counted as a close if you have to get a new card number (which you would if you get converted from a Visa to an MC).

Also, how long has it been since you opened or closed your last AA personal card? (This Visa must have been open for way more than 24 months, since Citi stopped issuing AA Visa cards several years ago, shifting to MC only.) If more than 24 months, you might want to apply and wait for approval before you cancel. That way your 24 months from opening the new card will be the same 24 months as from closing your old card!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.