Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Prestige 4th night free hotel benefit July 2017 - August 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 9, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
This is a continuation of the original discussion HERE.

Book online at thankyou.com or by phone at 1-877-288-2484 7/24.

Starting September 1, 2019 the complimentary 4th night benefit can be used up to two times per calendar year. Bookings made prior to September 1, 2019, will not count toward your two-stay cap for 2019. Starting September 1, 2019 bookings for the 4th night benefit must be made exclusively by visiting thankyou.com or calling 1 800 THANKYOU. Citi Concierge will no longer handle new 4th night benefit bookings but will continue to support bookings made prior to September 1, 2019. To utilize your benefit through our online travel site, and/or have the option to use your ThankYou points, please visit thankyou.com, select travel in the top menu bar, select hotels, choose hotel designated as “Complimentary 4th Night Eligible”, book at least 4 nights, see savings at checkout.
Starting for reservations made on or after July 23, 2017, this benefit will give you the average nightly rate on stays of 4+ nights, and will NOT include taxes.

Reimbursement times vary but seem to have improved in 2017, now about 2 weeks is most common. See this thread
for details.
Print Wikipost

Citi Prestige 4th night free hotel benefit July 2017 - August 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2019, 8:16 am

So I used my new Citi Prestige to make a booking with the concierge (the hotel direct website was a better offer vs. the thankyou hotel listing). The Concierge lady read the terms, it's an "advance purchase" rate, where you pay 50% now and 50% at check-in. The lady said that it should post the 4th night free credit in the next 1-2 billing cycles since this was pre-purchase rate.

Later that day, got the email from Citi with the booking confirmation with the *estimated* savings with 4th night free.

That was 3 days ago and there's still no charge on the Citi card (not even pending)
Is there usually a delay like this? I'm not referring to the credit (4th night free)--that I understand fully won't show up for a few months. I'm more concerned that the card hasn't been charged, so I wonder if my booking is really/truly confirmed.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 8:33 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by luv2vacay
... no charge on the Citi card (not even pending)
Some properties simply do not bother to run prepaid charges in advance.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by mia
Some properties simply do not bother to run prepaid charges in advance.
Thanks!

I'll email the resort just to confirm that the booking is really there and that the pre-purchase rate still applies. Rather find out now than show up and end up owing another $1,500
Old Jul 12, 2019, 9:56 am

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
So I used my new Citi Prestige to make a booking with the concierge (the hotel direct website was a better offer vs. the thankyou hotel listing). The Concierge lady read the terms, it's an "advance purchase" rate, where you pay 50% now and 50% at check-in. The lady said that it should post the 4th night free credit in the next 1-2 billing cycles since this was pre-purchase rate.

Later that day, got the email from Citi with the booking confirmation with the *estimated* savings with 4th night free.

That was 3 days ago and there's still no charge on the Citi card (not even pending)
Is there usually a delay like this? I'm not referring to the credit (4th night free)--that I understand fully won't show up for a few months. I'm more concerned that the card hasn't been charged, so I wonder if my booking is really/truly confirmed.
I would call the hotel, and make sure they have your booking in THEIR system. I once had a situation where even though the concierge sent me a confirmed rezzy from their system, it wasn't in the hotel's system. In that situation it was because the hotel had somehow booked it under the travel agent/concierge's name. We eventually figured out what happened, but I'm glad we did that a few weeks before checking in, rather than standing around the front desk wondering why a fully prepaid rez was not in their system on a sold out Xmas week. This is especially important at independent / non chain properties that don't have slick websites where you can see all your upcoming / prior stays at one place.

And yes, sometimes properties don't run pre-paid or high deposit stays ahead of time, or they might do it on one day of the week, or a few days prior to arrival. If needed you can call ahead to push it through (if you were meeting an MSR, or wanted to get a travel credit burned up before a certain date, or whatever reason).
luv2vacay likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 1:01 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Not sure why some people are having issues with booking.

Just called in like always.....booked an 8-night stay for December in Vietnam.

No issues at all.

I stay in hotels about 200 nights per year and will definitely miss the concierge for all of my bookings (save for the 2 I get per year as of Sep 1).
Old Jul 13, 2019, 5:40 pm

Programs: United 1K, AA Plat Exec, DL Plat, Marriott Titanium Lifetime Elite, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
This is a first. I called and got a concierge who saw a rate higher than the full rack rate on the marriott web page. Its now been 45+ minutes of holding with them trying to figure out why their rate is HIGHER than full rack. :-(
Old Jul 18, 2019, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by akr1970akr
I would call the hotel, and make sure they have your booking in THEIR system. I once had a situation where even though the concierge sent me a confirmed rezzy from their system, it wasn't in the hotel's system. In that situation it was because the hotel had somehow booked it under the travel agent/concierge's name. We eventually figured out what happened, but I'm glad we did that a few weeks before checking in, rather than standing around the front desk wondering why a fully prepaid rez was not in their system on a sold out Xmas week. This is especially important at independent / non chain properties that don't have slick websites where you can see all your upcoming / prior stays at one place.

And yes, sometimes properties don't run pre-paid or high deposit stays ahead of time, or they might do it on one day of the week, or a few days prior to arrival. If needed you can call ahead to push it through (if you were meeting an MSR, or wanted to get a travel credit burned up before a certain date, or whatever reason).
OK, so update on this:

1) Citibank already credited me the one night stay.
2) Credit card has not been charged a thing

I emailed the resort with the booking # and apparently they don't charge the card,but rather, send you a payment link (which i never received probably because it went to the concierge email) and you use THAT to pay.
Glad I asked/checked.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 1:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
OK, so update on this:

1) Citibank already credited me the one night stay.
2) Credit card has not been charged a thing

I emailed the resort with the booking # and apparently they don't charge the card,but rather, send you a payment link (which i never received probably because it went to the concierge email) and you use THAT to pay.
Glad I asked/checked.
You received the 4th night credit within 2 weeks of the initial booking?
luv2vacay likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 12:54 am

Programs: AA, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton
wish i saw this thread before booking on the phone.

Looks like i got routed to Connexions, made booking, couldn't pick rate code, or add membership number.

Called hotel to add several times, couldn't find booking at all. Called Citi back, gave me a confirmation number. They were also confident that I would be able to add my membership number at checkin, and that I'd receive my benefits that way.

Called hotel again, still couldn't find it. So looks like I will have to find out tomorrow on check-in...not my favorite experience.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by frudd38
You received the 4th night credit within 2 weeks of the initial booking?
Yes, quite shocked.
Although it was booked via the concierge as they had to match the online hotel website.
I think because it was a pre-purchase rate and booked online that day ((I had the confirmation within a few hours), that's maybe why?
But I was shocked when I got the email a few days later that said I'd get the credit within 10 days.
And then it showed up 2 days later.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 9:57 am

Same here - called yesterday to make a booking and was routed to a new agent (not the concierge) who gave me the rates off of the thankyou.com page. One annoying bit is that everything is prepaid now - even rates that are cancellable / refundable (as this one was). She also gave me incorrect information by stating that this would count against my 2 4th night free stays for the year (thought that didn’t start until bookings made after September) - even if so this is a $600 / night stay so a good one to use against the limit of two. The one good thing is that under the new system since it is prepaid the rebate is immediate (essentially it’s just a discounted rate since you don’t pay the extra and then get it rebated). Considering the last few I’ve booked have taken 3 months or so that’s a good thing I suppose. Either way the rate was a few dollars less than what was on the hotel website, somehow.

One oddity - In the confirmation email it says that the hotel may not have complete booking details of my itinerary until 24 hours in advance of our travel. So, does this mean there is no way for me to confirm our reservation with the hotel directly? Given I’ve had a few problems with bookings made via the concierge getting lost in the past that’s a bit disquieting.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 10:03 am
mia

Originally Posted by noahsi
....hotel may not have complete booking details of my itinerary until 24 hours in advance of our travel. So, does this mean there is no way for me to confirm our reservation with the hotel directly? ....
This caution has long appeared in the ThankYou terms, and we have many reports that it is often true in practice. You can still try to verify the booking with the property, but if they do not have it there is not necessarily a problem.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 10:08 am

Thanks MIA-

I hadn’t noticed it before with regular concierge bookings. Still in the case that the hotel doesn’t have the booking I guess there is no way to know whether there is a problem or not.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 10:43 am
mia

Originally Posted by noahsi
.... hadn’t noticed it before with regular concierge bookings....
I don't think it was likely with a Concierge booking because those were processed as traditional travel agency transactions. If this booking was done by a Connexions employee it would be a consolidator booking, and they may still be shopping it around for the lowest cost. This won't affect your rate, only their margin.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 11:00 am

All makes sense. Has anyone had a difficult time cancelling a reservation made via connexions that is prepaid but refundable?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.