Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Prestige 4th night free hotel benefit July 2017 - August 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 9, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
This is a continuation of the original discussion HERE.

Book online at thankyou.com or by phone at 1-877-288-2484 7/24.

Starting September 1, 2019 the complimentary 4th night benefit can be used up to two times per calendar year. Bookings made prior to September 1, 2019, will not count toward your two-stay cap for 2019. Starting September 1, 2019 bookings for the 4th night benefit must be made exclusively by visiting thankyou.com or calling 1 800 THANKYOU. Citi Concierge will no longer handle new 4th night benefit bookings but will continue to support bookings made prior to September 1, 2019. To utilize your benefit through our online travel site, and/or have the option to use your ThankYou points, please visit thankyou.com, select travel in the top menu bar, select hotels, choose hotel designated as “Complimentary 4th Night Eligible”, book at least 4 nights, see savings at checkout.
Starting for reservations made on or after July 23, 2017, this benefit will give you the average nightly rate on stays of 4+ nights, and will NOT include taxes.

Reimbursement times vary but seem to have improved in 2017, now about 2 weeks is most common. See this thread
for details.
Print Wikipost

Citi Prestige 4th night free hotel benefit July 2017 - August 2019

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2018, 4:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
If memory serves me right they had a survey several months back in which they were asking about different benefits. Cannot remember the specifics, apart from the fact that every time they asked an open ended question about the benefits the answer was - the only reason to keep this card is the 4th night free. Take it away and there is no advantage of this card over any other "premium" cards which without the 4th night free are much more competitive.
Old May 30, 2018, 10:02 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by ryandelmundo
I will second that it seems like the credits are coming a lot faster now, takes about a week.

I hate to even talk about it, but how long before this benefit goes away? How can Citi afford it? I know travel agents get a kickback when they book rooms, but its not 25% of the cost (nevermind the labor cost of booking the hotels), and on top of all that I get 3X TYP? Loving it while I can, but seems like "Fourth Night Half-Free" has to be around the corner...
I don't understand either, but recently I have found some rates at OTA that are very close to the cost after booking with citi 4th night credit (one was only 2% higher than my cost after the 4th night credit) - of course citi won't match this just the hotels regular rate. Also - they seem to be VERY strict about having to book the lowest rate available (INCLUDING MEMBER ONLY RATES) or they won't honor the 4th night free - well at least sometimes (that is I had one agent who was strict, but at another hotel I had booked a suite and they honored the 4th night)
Old May 30, 2018, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
Originally Posted by estnet
Also - they seem to be VERY strict about having to book the lowest rate available (INCLUDING MEMBER ONLY RATES) or they won't honor the 4th night free - well at least sometimes (that is I had one agent who was strict, but at another hotel I had booked a suite and they honored the 4th night)
They are supposed to book the lowest publicly available rate (but not including the member discount) for each room category. That is, they are not forcing you to use the benefit on the entry level room. You can use it on a suite without any problem, as long as you use the lowest available public rate (or cheaper). You cannot add features that come at a higher room price (such breakfast, or packages including other amenities).
FindAWay likes this.
Old May 30, 2018, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by MD/DC Flyer
They are supposed to book the lowest publicly available rate (but not including the member discount) for each room category. That is, they are not forcing you to use the benefit on the entry level room. You can use it on a suite without any problem, as long as you use the lowest available public rate (or cheaper).
This is what I like so much about this benefit. For our family of 4, I have booked 2-bedroom suites with 4th Nights Free to get us all in the same room with maximum savings (compared with connecting rooms).
Old Jun 1, 2018, 10:48 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Does anyone know if you can book Hyatt Prive via the Citi Concierge with the 4th night benefit?
Old Jun 1, 2018, 4:42 pm

maybe review an existing Prive reservation at Hyatt.com to determine if there a code viewable that would allow either self-service modify of an existing Citi-booked reservation or call-in to Hyatt to change to the Prive rate.
my instinct is that it won't work as Prive is likely similar to Virtuoso rates where there is no code visible and Hyatt reservations agents can't seem to access themselves to edit

start with a Citi 4th standard reservation, then try all available methods to modify to attach the Prive rate plan is my advice (self-service, Hyatt reservations, Hyatt reservations late at night where you get EU agents who are more flexible, Twitter team, globalist concierge, self-service remove the Citi concierge travel agent id and then contact a Prive agent to takeover the existing reservation).
Old Jun 3, 2018, 9:03 pm

Anyone have experience paying for the entire room on the Citi card but the incidentals on another card on the same bill?
Old Jun 3, 2018, 9:08 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by antonius66
Anyone have experience paying for the entire room on the Citi card but the incidentals on another card on the same bill?
No problem.
antonius66 likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 9:13 pm

So 4th night still credits fine?
Old Jun 4, 2018, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by antonius66
So 4th night still credits fine?
Got the "Your 4th Night Credit is on the way" email today for a stay I checked out of on May 26th.

Working fine.
antonius66 likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by ellinj
I just made a request for a refundable rate at a Marriott in Boston, The concierge got back to me in about 2hrs, Not only that they booked the reservation without me asking, not sure they are supposed to do that, but I am not going to complain.
Why are you complaining? It is refundable.
(and in case you are wondering, yes, you are complaining. You wrote "not sure they are supposed to do that")

Originally Posted by seawolf
Spoke too soon. Sent a request at 7AM Thursday and got a response they will get back to me in 3 days. Tried calling and have been on hold for 30+ minutes and counting.

Couple of upcoming insurance chances, it makes you wonder if Citi still wants to compete in the $450 AF segment.
Why? What do other cards offer? Nothing comparable to 4th night free.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 7:53 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Why? What do other cards offer? Nothing comparable to 4th night free.
And that’s just it. You need to post this question to Prestige members who DON’T use this benefit. Why are they keeping the card? Without them, this benefit is not sustainable.

4th night being the only benefit means other charges such as air and rental car go on CSR/AMEX Platinum due to better partners, more points, better car rental insurance and/or possibly better trip delay.

Because the card is only appealing to those who use the 4th night free benefit, this concentrate card membership to those who actually use the benefit while losing members who don’t and that is not sustainable. I’m a loss for Citi because my effective AF is $150 and my 4th night benefit is in the thousands. There’s no way hotel commissions (majority of my bookings are non-commissionable rates) and merchant fees adds up to the benefit payout.

The more Citi cuts the offering, the more general members (those who don’t use 4NF) they lose and the more 4NF becomes non sustainable.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 11:42 pm

And that’s just it. You need to post this question to Prestige members who DON’T use this benefit. Why are they keeping the card? Without them, this benefit is not sustainable.

4th night being the only benefit means other charges such as air and rental car go on CSR/AMEX Platinum due to better partners, more points, better car rental insurance and/or possibly better trip delay.

Because the card is only appealing to those who use the 4th night free benefit, this concentrate card membership to those who actually use the benefit while losing members who don’t and that is not sustainable. I’m a loss for Citi because my effective AF is $150 and my 4th night benefit is in the thousands. There’s no way hotel commissions (majority of my bookings are non-commissionable rates) and merchant fees adds up to the benefit payout.

The more Citi cuts the offering, the more general members (those who don’t use 4NF) they lose and the more 4NF becomes non sustainable.
Actually, I find it questionable that CSR has better partners. UR has Southwest (it is valued per point, so you cannot get much value out of it), United (horrible redemption rates for Star Alliance), Korean (very high redemption rates though good availability), Hyatt (at max 2 cents per point), BA (devalued short hauls, Alaska has better redemption values for partners). MR has Delta (which most people call "skypesos" for a reason, though I find some deals but you basically have to hunt for deals, like fare deals), plus Amex plat isn't good for earning points (5x on flights ONLY on personal, not business, Amextravel is more expensive most of the time and then you have to deal with an OTA if you have issues). Citi actually has decent earning, and while many of their transfer partners are available on the other point currencies.

In terms of benefits, I've never used the travel insurance or delay, but have used Price Rewind, which nobody else has. It was relatively easy, compared to how hard travel insurance is to claim (so I hear).
Amex still has the issue it isn't universally accepted, compared to Visa or Mastercard. Amex also has a super-hard to use airline credit.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 7:48 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Actually, I find it questionable that CSR has better partners. UR has Southwest (it is valued per point, so you cannot get much value out of it), United (horrible redemption rates for Star Alliance), Korean (very high redemption rates though good availability), Hyatt (at max 2 cents per point), BA (devalued short hauls, Alaska has better redemption values for partners). MR has Delta (which most people call "skypesos" for a reason, though I find some deals but you basically have to hunt for deals, like fare deals), plus Amex plat isn't good for earning points (5x on flights ONLY on personal, not business, Amextravel is more expensive most of the time and then you have to deal with an OTA if you have issues). Citi actually has decent earning, and while many of their transfer partners are available on the other point currencies.

In terms of benefits, I've never used the travel insurance or delay, but have used Price Rewind, which nobody else has. It was relatively easy, compared to how hard travel insurance is to claim (so I hear).
Amex still has the issue it isn't universally accepted, compared to Visa or Mastercard. Amex also has a super-hard to use airline credit.
I noticed you pointed out the “negative” partners of UR and AMEX but never really pointed out the positive partners of Citi TY especially those unique to Citi.

As mentioned in prior post, what are the positive aspects of the Prestige which makes it desirable for customers who don’t use 4NF?
Old Jun 10, 2018, 11:35 am

I noticed you pointed out the “negative” partners of UR and AMEX but never really pointed out the positive partners of Citi TY especially those unique to Citi.

As mentioned in prior post, what are the positive aspects of the Prestige which makes it desirable for customers who don’t use 4NF?
I did mention one. Price rewind. The one benefit that actually came in useful for me.
I mean, if you use your card to buy stuff ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.