Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Prestige 4th night free hotel benefit July 2017 - August 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 9, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
This is a continuation of the original discussion HERE.

Book online at thankyou.com or by phone at 1-877-288-2484 7/24.

Starting September 1, 2019 the complimentary 4th night benefit can be used up to two times per calendar year. Bookings made prior to September 1, 2019, will not count toward your two-stay cap for 2019. Starting September 1, 2019 bookings for the 4th night benefit must be made exclusively by visiting thankyou.com or calling 1 800 THANKYOU. Citi Concierge will no longer handle new 4th night benefit bookings but will continue to support bookings made prior to September 1, 2019. To utilize your benefit through our online travel site, and/or have the option to use your ThankYou points, please visit thankyou.com, select travel in the top menu bar, select hotels, choose hotel designated as “Complimentary 4th Night Eligible”, book at least 4 nights, see savings at checkout.
Starting for reservations made on or after July 23, 2017, this benefit will give you the average nightly rate on stays of 4+ nights, and will NOT include taxes.

Reimbursement times vary but seem to have improved in 2017, now about 2 weeks is most common. See this thread
for details.
Print Wikipost

Citi Prestige 4th night free hotel benefit July 2017 - August 2019

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2018, 7:53 pm

You can book a AAA rate or the advance purchase rate with this benefit. Those can be less than member rate and the AAA is refundable. Taxes are not included as you mentioned.

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I'm considering getting this card but I'm trying to do the math to see how well it really works. I've been reading this thread to try to understand the rules.

I'm a Hyatt Gobalist, so I stay mostly at Hyatts. My understanding is that if I book through the phone concierge (not email), it will count as an "eligible rate" so I'll earn pts for the stay.

However, it's also my understanding that:

(1) the discount is for an average night's rate but doesn't include the taxes, and
(2) they can't book a rate such as Hyatt's "member rate", because that requires being logged in to get.

Or all these assumptions true?

For example, I just did a random search for a 4-night stay in July at the Grand Hyatt in Kauai. The member rate is 11% cheaper than the standard rate ($479.71 vs $539). Plus, there is a 10.25% occupancy tax and a 4.2% state tax (14.45% in taxes total). Resort fees are waived for me (globalist perk) so I will ignore them.

So, regardless of the rates (but assuming that the member rate is always 89% of the standard rate):

On a 4 night stay, I would pay 4.07x the standard nightly rate out of pocket (0.89 * 4 * 1.1445). I would pay 3.578x the standard rate with citi, after the statement credit (4 * 1.1445 - 1). That's a savings of 12.2%
On a 5 night stay, I would save about 7%. I'd save about 4% on a 6 night stay, 2% on a 7 night stay, and an 8 night stay would be more expensive.

It seems that this perk is not all it's made out to be. Considering that this is THE benefit of the card... I'm not sure if it's worth it (for me) The inability to book discount member rates really cuts into its usefulness (it's a double-whammy because you are paying the higher rate for all but your free night, and the higher taxes on the higher rate for all the nights, even the free one) The exact effect varies depending on (1) how much the member discount is, and (2) how high the taxes are, but member discounts in the 10 or 11 % range are common on Hyatt.

Are my assumptions correct? The ability to book the member rate would change things significantly -- it's a 10+% discount across the board.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 8:59 pm

Programs: MR LTP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mgchan
I am being told that "package" rates are not eligible as well, at least over email. Strangely I can't even figure out what rates they are using -- even with the regular rates it is off by a couple Euros, by my math.

Looks like it may have been a recent change. I'll probably call and try with another concierge but if true I will have to figure out whether the, uh, benefits of a higher charge outweigh the free breakfast and dinner.
I was previously able to book packages.
Tonight was told they can only book the cheapest rate for any room type.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 6:43 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist

(2) they can't book a rate such as Hyatt's "member rate", because that requires being logged in to get.

Does anyone else have experience attempting to book member rates? I was able to book a Kimpton Last Minute Deal (requires membership) a few months back. The process wasn't very straightforward; they needed my Karma # and to book it directly with the hotel.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 7:03 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Travel agents should be able to book member rates at Hyatt. See here:

https://www.thecompanydime.com/hyatt-gds/

https://skift.com/2016/05/10/hotel-b...d-lower-rates/
Old Feb 16, 2018, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks Mia, this is useful. If I can book member rates it's a much better value proposition.

I'm curious to hear about experiences from others trying to book this rate.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
I'm considering getting this card but I'm trying to do the math to see how well it really works. I've been reading this thread to try to understand the rules.

I'm a Hyatt Gobalist, so I stay mostly at Hyatts. My understanding is that if I book through the phone concierge (not email), it will count as an "eligible rate" so I'll earn pts for the stay.

However, it's also my understanding that:

(1) the discount is for an average night's rate but doesn't include the taxes, and

Or all these assumptions true?

For example, I just did a random search for a 4-night stay in July at the Grand Hyatt in Kauai. The member rate is 11% cheaper than the standard rate ($479.71 vs $539). Plus, there is a 10.25% occupancy tax and a 4.2% state tax (14.45% in taxes total). Resort fees are waived for me (globalist perk) so I will ignore them.

So, regardless of the rates (but assuming that the member rate is always 89% of the standard rate):

On a 4 night stay, I would pay 4.07x the standard nightly rate out of pocket (0.89 * 4 * 1.1445). I would pay 3.578x the standard rate with citi, after the statement credit (4 * 1.1445 - 1). That's a savings of 12.2%
On a 5 night stay, I would save about 7%. I'd save about 4% on a 6 night stay, 2% on a 7 night stay, and an 8 night stay would be more expensive.

It seems that this perk is not all it's made out to be. Considering that this is THE benefit of the card... I'm not sure if it's worth it (for me) The inability to book discount member rates really cuts into its usefulness (it's a double-whammy because you are paying the higher rate for all but your free night, and the higher taxes on the higher rate for all the nights, even the free one) The exact effect varies depending on (1) how much the member discount is, and (2) how high the taxes are, but member discounts in the 10 or 11 % range are common on Hyatt.

Are my assumptions correct? The ability to book the member rate would change things significantly -- it's a 10+% discount across the board.
I haven't ever needed a Hyatt member rate, but I can confirm that I have booked Marriott member only rates via the concierge for 4th night free.

I think your overthinking the math. If you are staying more than 4 nights, and if the extra nights have an available lower rate (one that the concierge can't book, or simply a lower demand date), then book the 4 nights via Citi and the extra nights on your own.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
Originally Posted by swag
I haven't ever needed a Hyatt member rate, but I can confirm that I have booked Marriott member only rates via the concierge for 4th night free.
And I have booked Hilton member rate. It is definitely possible - just tell them upfront what you are trying to do because they will have to call and do it over the phone, instead of using online methods.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 9:02 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
I usually book the AAA rate, its usually the same as the member rate and they can do it easily without calling.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sounds like the member rate is bookable, so I'm sold. I'm getting the card... it should save me about $2k on an upcoming trip (8 days in Tokyo, 4 in Taiwan, 1 week in Seoul.. I'll stay at 4 different Hyatts (2 different hotels in Tokyo) and all of them are $500+ per night.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 5:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Sounds like the member rate is bookable, so I'm sold. I'm getting the card... it should save me about $2k on an upcoming trip (8 days in Tokyo, 4 in Taiwan, 1 week in Seoul.. I'll stay at 4 different Hyatts (2 different hotels in Tokyo) and all of them are $500+ per night.
I think you will get value from the card. There is always lot's of whining about this card on FT, people canceling because they don't see value after changes from the originally launched card. But honestly, this is almost the easiest high annual fee card for us to justify. Every year we save multiples of the annual fee. As long as the card continues this benefit it's an easy keeper for us.

Regards
Old Feb 21, 2018, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scubadu
I think you will get value from the card. There is always lot's of whining about this card on FT, people canceling because they don't see value after changes from the originally launched card. But honestly, this is almost the easiest high annual fee card for us to justify. Every year we save multiples of the annual fee. As long as the card continues this benefit it's an easy keeper for us.

Regards
I think that if you take one trip a year where you stay at a high-end hotel for 4+ nights, it pays for itself.

If you don't do that, then I could see it not having value for some people (like, if you're extending your stay just to use the 4th night, or if you stay at relatively cheap hotels when you travel)

For it to have value I think that you need to be able to book in a way that you get your hotel's loyalty points, and you get the lowest rate that you could otherwise get (member rate, or whatever). (Hotel loyaltly pts + 10% pre-tax savings are easily worth 25% IMO) It sounds like that's possible if you book over the phone, so I think it has value for me.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 10:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
I want to add a Hyatt club access award to a Citi 4th night rez. Any foreseeable problems there?
Old Feb 24, 2018, 11:08 pm

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
I want to add a Hyatt club access award to a Citi 4th night rez. Any foreseeable problems there?
Shouldn't be. As long as your WOH number is on the booking, it should appear in My Reservations like any booking made on the Hyatt website itself. I've used TSUs to bookings made via the Citi Presige Concierge in the past.

Re. club access awards -- do they apply per night or per stay?
Old Feb 24, 2018, 11:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Kilian Zoll
Shouldn't be. As long as your WOH number is on the booking, it should appear in My Reservations like any booking made on the Hyatt website itself. I've used TSUs to bookings made via the Citi Presige Concierge in the past.

Re. club access awards -- do they apply per night or per stay?
Thanks. Yes the rez is showing up in my Hyatt account. Per stay up to seven nights.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 3:38 am

i am planning on doing a 6-month trip through europe, africa, and south america, and am considering getting this card purely for the 4th night benefit (and also the 3hr delay benefits).

however, i'll mostly be doing the budget route and trying to stay at hostels and airbnbs (will likely try to keep the $/night rate to less than $50usd or even less if possible).

i read about a lot of experience of getting 4th nights free at nicer hotels, but does anyone here have any experience with budget accommodation availability with this card? i've read on TPG that hostels are acceptable, but airbnbs and other apartment situations are not.

looking forward to any input!

my main cc at the moment is the sapphire reserve so i'll also have to make a decision as to whether to keep both if i sign up for the prestige.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.