Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Prestige 4th night free hotel benefit July 2017 - August 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 9, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
This is a continuation of the original discussion HERE.

Book online at thankyou.com or by phone at 1-877-288-2484 7/24.

Starting September 1, 2019 the complimentary 4th night benefit can be used up to two times per calendar year. Bookings made prior to September 1, 2019, will not count toward your two-stay cap for 2019. Starting September 1, 2019 bookings for the 4th night benefit must be made exclusively by visiting thankyou.com or calling 1 800 THANKYOU. Citi Concierge will no longer handle new 4th night benefit bookings but will continue to support bookings made prior to September 1, 2019. To utilize your benefit through our online travel site, and/or have the option to use your ThankYou points, please visit thankyou.com, select travel in the top menu bar, select hotels, choose hotel designated as “Complimentary 4th Night Eligible”, book at least 4 nights, see savings at checkout.
Starting for reservations made on or after July 23, 2017, this benefit will give you the average nightly rate on stays of 4+ nights, and will NOT include taxes.

Reimbursement times vary but seem to have improved in 2017, now about 2 weeks is most common. See this thread
for details.
Print Wikipost

Citi Prestige 4th night free hotel benefit July 2017 - August 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2018, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yugi
Actually if you book via TY portal, they don't allow you to book back to back 4th night even in different hotels. I needed to pad it with 1-2 nights booked via Chase or US Bank. So far I booked 4 "free nights" post change in 2017, but I booked on points. Since I have Premier too, each point is 1.66 cents.
I don't believe this is correct as I'm doing 3 four night bookings back to back to back, all booked via portal
Old Feb 1, 2018, 4:52 pm

First of all, thank you to many contributors of the thread. I was about to cancel the card, as the Thank You portal booking is worthless to me. I could never get a decent hotel or decent rate on the hotel I wanted via the portal. However, booking via concierge is a totally different experience. It does depend a lot on the concierge you talk to. Some are more knowledgeable, helpful, and experienced than others. However, a phone call is a much better way to go than the web site. Over the phone, more or less all hotels seem to be eligible, so a much bigger set than what the travel portal shows. HACU seems to cure some issues when they come up. Talking to a manager did help me to solve one issue (took three days to make a booking). In general it seems it's better to call when the hotel reservations are open in whatever country/area you are booking in, because concierges often end up calling the hotel rather than making the reservations online. So far I made three bookings, saved close to $700 total, and decided to keep the card.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 5:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
I saved so much money using this card last year (on 4th night free rebates) that I worry for the future sustainability of the card. If even half of cardusers get north of $1000 in rebates, then Citi has to be losing money hand over fist.

Like you alluded to, without using this benefit, I'd probably cancel this card. However this means that a lot of people who do not use this benefit may indeed by cancelling this card. Thus Citi will have a survivor bias effect on remaining cardholders using the 4FN at higher and higher rates.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 5:34 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by ralphs
I.... Citi has to be losing money hand over fist.

Improbable. The switch from 4th night to 25% means that the travel agency commission should cover much of the cost.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 8:33 pm

what luxury hotel rates can you book with citi 4th night free? like virtuoso, fspp, etc?
Old Feb 1, 2018, 9:11 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by yerffej201
what luxury hotel rates can you book with citi 4th night free? like virtuoso, fspp, etc?
Mastercard's own rates
Old Feb 2, 2018, 8:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by mia
Improbable. The switch from 4th night to 25% means that the travel agency commission should cover much of the cost.
That's good. I didn't realize hotel commissions were so generous!
Old Feb 2, 2018, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by ralphs
That's good. I didn't realize hotel commissions were so generous!
$100/nt rate, 10% tax, total $440.

If Citi gets a 10% travel agent commission ($40) and a 3% merchant fee on the card transaction ($13.40), that covers more than half of the $100 rebate. And the merchant fee probably averages a bit better than that, since any folio incidentals or additional nights are likely also going on the card.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf
Mastercard's own rates
What does that mean in terms of benefits at luxury hotels? I know they can book aaa, corp rates, etc... so
Old Feb 2, 2018, 4:17 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by yerffej201
What does that mean in terms of benefits at luxury hotels? I know they can book aaa, corp rates, etc... so
I believe MasterCard had (still has?) a program called World Luxury Hotels & Resorts (similar to AMEX Fine Hotels/Chase Luxury Hotel Collection), where if you booked through it, you would get certain benefits (credits, free upgrades, late check-in/out). This program was coordinated through Carlson Wagonlit Travel (CWT).

Up until July of last year, CWT was also providing concierge services to Prestige card holders. This meant that Citi Concierge could book these rates easily, as both services were provided by the same agency.

The MasterCard Hotel program is now managed by TEN LIFESTYLE. I think it has changed a little bit, but haven't been able to get much information since the website is rather crap. Also, I believe Citi changed it's Concierge provider from CWT.

TLDR: I'm not sure if the "MasterCard Rates" are still bookable.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 11:27 am

Programs: status free since 2017
4NF datapoint - stay ended 01/15. Credited to account on 02/07.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by Aero137
I believe MasterCard had (still has?) a program called World Luxury Hotels & Resorts (similar to AMEX Fine Hotels/Chase Luxury Hotel Collection), where if you booked through it, you would get certain benefits (credits, free upgrades, late check-in/out). This program was coordinated through Carlson Wagonlit Travel (CWT).

Up until July of last year, CWT was also providing concierge services to Prestige card holders. This meant that Citi Concierge could book these rates easily, as both services were provided by the same agency.

The MasterCard Hotel program is now managed by TEN LIFESTYLE. I think it has changed a little bit, but haven't been able to get much information since the website is rather crap. Also, I believe Citi changed it's Concierge provider from CWT.

TLDR: I'm not sure if the "MasterCard Rates" are still bookable.

I don't think booking the 4NF qualifies for the upgrades/benefits--at least every time I've booked it hasn't. I just get the fourth night free--but I had the choice to take the upgrades/benefits instead.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 9:48 pm

I'm looking to book a 4th night free in the maldives and comboing it with the 1.25cpp since I also have the premier. Can I also use the TY points to pay for addons during the booking process? For instance, adding an all inclusive package or sea plane transportation and pay for it all with TY points.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by Falimz
I'm looking to book a 4th night free in the maldives and comboing it with the 1.25cpp since I also have the premier. Can I also use the TY points to pay for addons during the booking process? For instance, adding an all inclusive package or sea plane transportation and pay for it all with TY points.
The only option for paying with points and getting 4th night free and 1.25cpp is booking through the portal, so those things would have to be included in the actual room rate to be bookable.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm considering getting this card but I'm trying to do the math to see how well it really works. I've been reading this thread to try to understand the rules.

I'm a Hyatt Gobalist, so I stay mostly at Hyatts. My understanding is that if I book through the phone concierge (not email), it will count as an "eligible rate" so I'll earn pts for the stay.

However, it's also my understanding that:

(1) the discount is for an average night's rate but doesn't include the taxes, and
(2) they can't book a rate such as Hyatt's "member rate", because that requires being logged in to get.

Or all these assumptions true?

For example, I just did a random search for a 4-night stay in July at the Grand Hyatt in Kauai. The member rate is 11% cheaper than the standard rate ($479.71 vs $539). Plus, there is a 10.25% occupancy tax and a 4.2% state tax (14.45% in taxes total). Resort fees are waived for me (globalist perk) so I will ignore them.

So, regardless of the rates (but assuming that the member rate is always 89% of the standard rate):

On a 4 night stay, I would pay 4.07x the standard nightly rate out of pocket (0.89 * 4 * 1.1445). I would pay 3.578x the standard rate with citi, after the statement credit (4 * 1.1445 - 1). That's a savings of 12.2%
On a 5 night stay, I would save about 7%. I'd save about 4% on a 6 night stay, 2% on a 7 night stay, and an 8 night stay would be more expensive.

It seems that this perk is not all it's made out to be. Considering that this is THE benefit of the card... I'm not sure if it's worth it (for me) The inability to book discount member rates really cuts into its usefulness (it's a double-whammy because you are paying the higher rate for all but your free night, and the higher taxes on the higher rate for all the nights, even the free one) The exact effect varies depending on (1) how much the member discount is, and (2) how high the taxes are, but member discounts in the 10 or 11 % range are common on Hyatt.

Are my assumptions correct? The ability to book the member rate would change things significantly -- it's a 10+% discount across the board.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.