Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Prestige 4th night free hotel benefit July 2017 - August 2019

Old Aug 9, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
This is a continuation of the original discussion HERE.

Book online at thankyou.com or by phone at 1-877-288-2484 7/24.

Starting September 1, 2019 the complimentary 4th night benefit can be used up to two times per calendar year. Bookings made prior to September 1, 2019, will not count toward your two-stay cap for 2019. Starting September 1, 2019 bookings for the 4th night benefit must be made exclusively by visiting thankyou.com or calling 1 800 THANKYOU. Citi Concierge will no longer handle new 4th night benefit bookings but will continue to support bookings made prior to September 1, 2019. To utilize your benefit through our online travel site, and/or have the option to use your ThankYou points, please visit thankyou.com, select travel in the top menu bar, select hotels, choose hotel designated as “Complimentary 4th Night Eligible”, book at least 4 nights, see savings at checkout.
Starting for reservations made on or after July 23, 2017, this benefit will give you the average nightly rate on stays of 4+ nights, and will NOT include taxes.

Reimbursement times vary but seem to have improved in 2017, now about 2 weeks is most common. See this thread
for details.
Print Wikipost

Citi Prestige 4th night free hotel benefit July 2017 - August 2019

Old May 4, 2018, 4:46 am

Originally Posted by s0ssos
I don't know if this has been mentioned before, is it possible to do 4 nights, then use another card for a booking of 1 night, and then 4 nights? If the hotel lets you combine it into 1 stay will Citi then not count it as 2 4-night stays? What if you use points or something in the middle, that breaks it up, I presume?
This supposedly works, although I have not tried it personally. I highly advise formally checking out, checking back in, checking out again, and then checking back in again.
Old May 6, 2018, 1:44 pm

I do know the travel service calls the hotel to check if you stayed. As such I am not sure your other card plan will work. I am currently using the benefit now but changing to another hotel after every fourth nite. it is working out great!
Old May 14, 2018, 10:01 pm

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Data point: I recently received 4th night credit for a stay that had been booked through the concierge but subsequently booked paid with a different (non Citi) card.

Last edited by Kilian Zoll; May 15, 2018 at 4:52 am
Old May 15, 2018, 2:36 am
Etp

Originally Posted by Kilian Zoll
Data point: I recently received 4th night credit for a stay that had been booked through the concierge but subsequently booked with a different (non Citi) card.
Do you mean you had cancelled your original booking with the concierge and then made a new booking (for same dates) and paid it using a non Citi card? Or do you mean you kept the booking made by concierge but paid it using a non Citi card?
Old May 15, 2018, 3:17 am

Originally Posted by Etp
Do you mean you had cancelled your original booking with the concierge and then made a new booking (for same dates) and paid it using a non Citi card? Or do you mean you kept the booking made by concierge but paid it using a non Citi card?
you are a saint, for having the patience losts in my teens.
Old May 15, 2018, 4:53 am

Originally Posted by Etp
Sorry -- it was booked through the concierge but subsequently paid (to the hotel upon check-out) using a non-Citi card. I.e. the concierge made the booking with the hotel on my behalf -- I paid for the stay using a non Citi card, but the 4th night credit still posted to my Citi card.

I've edited my original post.
Old May 15, 2018, 6:19 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kilian Zoll
Sorry -- it was booked through the concierge but subsequently paid (to the hotel upon check-out) using a non-Citi card. I.e. the concierge made the booking with the hotel on my behalf -- I paid for the stay using a non Citi card, but the 4th night credit still posted to my Citi card.

I've edited my original post.
Citi has been auditing stays so I would interpret this as "slipping thru the crack" instead of policy.
Old May 15, 2018, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by seawolf
Citi has been auditing stays so I would interpret this as "slipping thru the crack" instead of policy.
Yes, I was assuming that would be the case -- just providing a data point that it appears to still be happening in some cases.
Old May 15, 2018, 10:32 am

the earlier wisdom in this thread is that a hotel won't reveal the credit number (or last 4 digits) to the booking travel agent, so the post stay validation is simply that a Mastercard was used to settle the folio.
Old May 15, 2018, 11:57 am
Etp

Originally Posted by Colin
the earlier wisdom in this thread is that a hotel won't reveal the credit number (or last 4 digits) to the booking travel agent, so the post stay validation is simply that a Mastercard was used to settle the folio.
Why should Citi do this validation with the hotel? Citi can easily validate whether or not the stay was paid by Citi Prestige beacuse they already have information about usage (or lack thereof) of the card.
Old May 15, 2018, 12:25 pm

Citi has chosen to outsource the administration of this benefit to a 3rd party.
It sorta does make sense that credit card transaction detail can't just be shared with a 3rd party.
Etp likes this.
Old May 15, 2018, 12:48 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Citi has chosen to outsource the administration of this benefit to a 3rd party.
It sorta does make sense that credit card transaction detail can't just be shared with a 3rd party.
Don’t know if the team auditing stays is part of concierge or another team and whether they have access to transaction data.

However I do know administrator handling rental car damage coverage DO have some access. Had a rental claim with all paperwork in order but before they approved the claim they asked me to close a chargeback in process against Hertz. Don’t see how they would know about chargeback unless Citi is giving them some level of access.
Old May 17, 2018, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
What I said back in post 97, I am 2 for 2 getting credit after paying with a different card, and neither was a MC. But I don't recommend doing it intentionally, the risk of losing the free night reimbursement likely dwarfs whatever small benefit the alternate card might offer.

Originally Posted by swag
I mentioned this upthread, but I've done it twice this year, and gotten credit both times.

Both booked before the changes via email. The first was a Fairfield, I used my SPG Amex out of habit, realized my error while on the flight home. The second was a Holiday Inn, when I arrived I realized my Prestige was sitting on my desk at home; I think I used a Chase Sapphire instead. After my mistakes, I wasn't expecting credit for either one, so it was a surprise when it posted as usual.

That said, I think I just got lucky. It's not something I'd count on or expect, And I won't intentionally take the risk, the relatively smaller benefits offered by other cards would be dwarfed by losing the free night.
Old May 18, 2018, 7:57 am

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
Has anyone noticed response time for emails to the Concierge have gone up dramatically? I always email my request instead of calling in. It used to take 4-8 hours for a response. Now it takes days/ My last two requests have been followed by an email that says (for a request emailed on May 17).

Thank you for emailing us today. We have received your request. We will have information to you by 11:00 pm ET on May 20, 2018, at the latest.

I can't imagine calling in can be an easier than my very clear hotel reservation requests. Not sure what the reason would be, but reasons would include
  • Reduction of staffing / concierge budget
  • "Stalling" tactic to try and push people to call, which maybe busy people don't have the time to bother with
  • The sign of things to come!?
  • Seasonality
How have response times for email and phone wait times been for everyone lately?
Old May 20, 2018, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ryandelmundo
How have response times for email and phone wait times been for everyone lately?
Last time I used them was a month ago, response by email was same day. Now unfortunately they booked it for the wrong days so I had to call in. Again no wait and the agent was very apologetic because she could clearly see the first agent screwed up and booked the wrong days.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.