Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2020, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yugi
What counted as online purchase with Sears card (alphabetical order)
  • Amazon purchase or re-load
  • Carters.com (Merchandise-CHILDRENS / INFANTS WEAR STORE)
  • Costco.com
  • Ebay seller fees (direct entry) (MCC: N/A)
  • Fluz (MCC varies, YMMV)
  • Gift Card Mall
  • Homedepot.com (Merchandise-HOME SUPPLY WAREHOUSE STORES)
  • Iherb.com (Merchandise-MISC FOOD STORE,SPECIALTY,CONVENIENCE)
  • Kygunco.com (Merchandise-DURABLE GOODS, NOT ELSEWHERE CLASSIFIED)
  • Lockedloaded.com (Merchandise-SPORTING GOODS STORES)
  • MileagePlusX (MCC varies)
  • Pirateship.com (Services-COURIER SERVICE, FREIGHT FORWARDERS)
  • Plastiq (Restaurants-UTILITIES-ELECTRIC,GAS,SANITARY,WATER)
  • Scholastic.com (Organizations-MISC SCHOOLS / EDUCATIONAL SERVICES)
  • Usmint.gov (Services-MISC GOVERNMENT SERVICES)
  • united.com (Air Travel-UNITED AIRLINES)
What didn't count as online purchase (alphabetical order):
  • Fluz (MCC varies, YMMV)
  • Geico.com (Services-INSURANCE-SALES / UNDERWRITING)
  • Paypal (MCC varies)
What counted as utilities purchase with Sears card (alphabetical order)
  • Cable, Satellite, TV (Restaurants-CABLE,SATELLITE,PAY TV/RADIO SERVICES)
  • Telecom (Restaurants-TELEPHONE SERVICE)
  • Telecom (Services-TELEPHONE SERVICE/EQUIPMENT)
  • Utilities (Restaurants-UTILITIES-ELECTRIC,GAS,SANITARY,WATER)
What didn't count as Travel purchase (alphabetical order):
  • VRBO

Credit Line Increases
This is very odd, but according to the Chatbot on the website:
Q. When requesting a credit limit increase, is the credit inquiry a hard or soft credit inquiry?
A. Unfortunately, until we process the request, there isn't a way for us to know if a credit line increase request will be a soft or hard hit on your credit report. For this reason, we have to receive your permission to pull a copy of your credit report before we process the increase request. If you process the request online, you will see a message stating "By submitting this form, you authorize Citibank, N.A. to obtain your credit report."

To request an increase online:
In order to request an increase, you will need to go to your “Credit Home” page, and find “Available Credit” at the top of the page. Then, click on the link that says “Request Increase” to begin the process.

Print Wikipost

Citi Sears Cards (2014 - 2023)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2018, 1:42 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Most of the Alberstons Family Chains sell Visa GC and you can purchase with CC.

https://www1.albertsons.com/ShopStor...e-locator.page
Old Oct 16, 2018, 3:28 pm

Thanks for the info jtav559. There is an acme grocery store about 30 miles from me. May be worth the drive for the points lol if they have them
Old Oct 19, 2018, 9:42 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
I just closed my Sears Card. I decided to close it so it wouldn't get converted to another card. I think Sears is gone.

edited to add: I was never targeted for the promos that are talked about above. It did earn TYP. I applied for the card over a decade ago when buying appliances. Without the promos, it wasn't a very good card anyway. I just kept it because it had no annual fee.

Last edited by jeanie; Oct 19, 2018 at 9:48 pm
Old Oct 26, 2018, 3:46 am

Originally Posted by jeanie
I just closed my Sears Card. I decided to close it so it wouldn't get converted to another card. I think Sears is gone.

edited to add: I was never targeted for the promos that are talked about above. It did earn TYP. I applied for the card over a decade ago when buying appliances. Without the promos, it wasn't a very good card anyway. I just kept it because it had no annual fee.
no idea what ur ultimate goal was. u closed a very old card with over a decade of history because u didnt want the auto PC? why is that a problem even if sears is gone? the sears card may become something more useful at citi or another bank may purchase the portfolio like discover. most people dont know sears founded Discover Card.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
For someone who is not totally on top of their cards situation, that's not an awful choice to close.

These store card vendors are pretty sloppy, and if they screw something up it can cause other mischief and be had to fix.

We suffered when there was a handoff issue between Macys / Amex / Citi when those firms changed their back end relationship.

So I wouldn't be so sanguine about 'just wait for a product change opportunity as a free option' kind of thing.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
I'm, not voluntarily closing mine while its still earning TYPs period.
mia and akr1970akr like this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 12:23 pm

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
sure, if you were getting all the juicy TYP offers, and using them definitely keep it open.

Citi paid 400mm+ for access to those borrowers, so presumably they want them, and seem to be acting like they do (in terms of incentives)

I'm just pointing out that for those not getting them, or otherwise not using the card, that closing it can eliminate a potential problem.

DSNB, Citi Retail Card Services and other back end white label servicers (FIA etc.) have more low level constant glitches in my experience, and wouldn't be my first choice unless there was something juicy enough going on merit it.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by GundamWing01
no idea what ur ultimate goal was. u closed a very old card with over a decade of history because u didnt want the auto PC? why is that a problem even if sears is gone? the sears card may become something more useful at citi or another bank may purchase the portfolio like discover. most people dont know sears founded Discover Card.
Originally Posted by akr1970akr
For someone who is not totally on top of their cards situation, that's not an awful choice to close.

These store card vendors are pretty sloppy, and if they screw something up it can cause other mischief and be had to fix.

We suffered when there was a handoff issue between Macys / Amex / Citi when those firms changed their back end relationship.

So I wouldn't be so sanguine about 'just wait for a product change opportunity as a free option' kind of thing.
Actually, I have several credit card accounts that are over 20 years old. My Discover Card is almost 30 years old. AMEX has started looking at credit utilization for all cards that are open. So the credit card landscape is beginning to lean against people that have cards that aren't used on a regular basis. My credit score is over 830. I am fully informed about my decisions, and this was the best course of action for me and my credit card plans in the future.

Just because someone makes a different decision than you would doesn't mean it was the wrong decision.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:29 am

So Sears MC offers are still rolling in. Last month I received an offer of $50 credit after $500 spending. Better yet, yesterday I received a new offer for 10% cash back on groceries, gas, and restaurants with a minimum spending of $2000 and maximum spending of $2500, per month. So that's $200 to $250 cash back per month, from 1/1/19 to 3/31/19. My card is NOT TYP. I had the card for 15 years and the offers started about 3 years ago or a little longer. Credits are applied as a statement credit to my account.

I love the offers and I don't want to change the card to TYP as the offers may stop!! I expected that offers would end after Sears bankruptcy but hasn't happened yet.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 1:49 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Originally Posted by AlexTheMan
So Sears MC offers are still rolling in. Last month I received an offer of $50 credit after $500 spending. Better yet, yesterday I received a new offer for 10% cash back on groceries, gas, and restaurants with a minimum spending of $2000 and maximum spending of $2500, per month. So that's $200 to $250 cash back per month, from 1/1/19 to 3/31/19. My card is NOT TYP. I had the card for 15 years and the offers started about 3 years ago or a little longer. Credits are applied as a statement credit to my account.

I love the offers and I don't want to change the card to TYP as the offers may stop!! I expected that offers would end after Sears bankruptcy but hasn't happened yet.
I guess it is a wait and see right now.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 9:36 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Received Saturday, New offer for 10X TYPs on groceries, gas, and restaurants with a minimum spending of $2000 and maximum spending of $2500, per month. So that's 20,000 to 25,000 TYPs per month, from 1/1/19 to 3/31/19.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 10:30 pm

For those of you that “ms” with this card do you get fraud alerts often? I’ve been ramping up on 500 vgc purchases but citi sometimes declines for fraudulent activity smh. Any way to prevent this? I suspect 1 vgc a week instead of 1500 in one shot.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 12:16 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
I received my first offer today. It's 5x additional points on purchases totaling $500 or more up to 5000 points. I applied for this card last April and converted it to TYP.
akr1970akr likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 12:20 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Originally Posted by Champy
For those of you that “ms” with this card do you get fraud alerts often? I’ve been ramping up on 500 vgc purchases but citi sometimes declines for fraudulent activity smh. Any way to prevent this? I suspect 1 vgc a week instead of 1500 in one shot.
Let us know how this goes.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by yugi
I received my first offer today. It's 5x additional points on purchases totaling $500 or more up to 5000 points. I applied for this card last April and converted it to TYP.
That's how it starts, make the spend on this one and you should start getting the bigger ones along with the rest of us!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.