Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2020, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yugi
What counted as online purchase with Sears card (alphabetical order)
  • Amazon purchase or re-load
  • Carters.com (Merchandise-CHILDRENS / INFANTS WEAR STORE)
  • Costco.com
  • Ebay seller fees (direct entry) (MCC: N/A)
  • Fluz (MCC varies, YMMV)
  • Gift Card Mall
  • Homedepot.com (Merchandise-HOME SUPPLY WAREHOUSE STORES)
  • Iherb.com (Merchandise-MISC FOOD STORE,SPECIALTY,CONVENIENCE)
  • Kygunco.com (Merchandise-DURABLE GOODS, NOT ELSEWHERE CLASSIFIED)
  • Lockedloaded.com (Merchandise-SPORTING GOODS STORES)
  • MileagePlusX (MCC varies)
  • Pirateship.com (Services-COURIER SERVICE, FREIGHT FORWARDERS)
  • Plastiq (Restaurants-UTILITIES-ELECTRIC,GAS,SANITARY,WATER)
  • Scholastic.com (Organizations-MISC SCHOOLS / EDUCATIONAL SERVICES)
  • Usmint.gov (Services-MISC GOVERNMENT SERVICES)
  • united.com (Air Travel-UNITED AIRLINES)
What didn't count as online purchase (alphabetical order):
  • Fluz (MCC varies, YMMV)
  • Geico.com (Services-INSURANCE-SALES / UNDERWRITING)
  • Paypal (MCC varies)
What counted as utilities purchase with Sears card (alphabetical order)
  • Cable, Satellite, TV (Restaurants-CABLE,SATELLITE,PAY TV/RADIO SERVICES)
  • Telecom (Restaurants-TELEPHONE SERVICE)
  • Telecom (Services-TELEPHONE SERVICE/EQUIPMENT)
  • Utilities (Restaurants-UTILITIES-ELECTRIC,GAS,SANITARY,WATER)
What didn't count as Travel purchase (alphabetical order):
  • VRBO

Credit Line Increases
This is very odd, but according to the Chatbot on the website:
Q. When requesting a credit limit increase, is the credit inquiry a hard or soft credit inquiry?
A. Unfortunately, until we process the request, there isn't a way for us to know if a credit line increase request will be a soft or hard hit on your credit report. For this reason, we have to receive your permission to pull a copy of your credit report before we process the increase request. If you process the request online, you will see a message stating "By submitting this form, you authorize Citibank, N.A. to obtain your credit report."

To request an increase online:
In order to request an increase, you will need to go to your “Credit Home” page, and find “Available Credit” at the top of the page. Then, click on the link that says “Request Increase” to begin the process.

Print Wikipost

Citi Sears Cards (2014 - 2023)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
I've got 3 overlapping offers recently:
1. Activate this offer now to earn 15X Bonus ThankYou® Points**
(up to a total of 6,000 points each month) when you spend $300 or more on eligible TRAVEL purchases each month and use your Sears Mastercard® from 10/1/19 – 1/31/20.

2. Earn 10,000 Bonus ThankYou® Points*
when you activate this offer and make eligible purchases totaling $1,000 or more with your Sears Mastercard® between 11/6/2019 - 1/4/2020.

3. Activate to earn 20X Bonus ThankYou Points² on all eligible purchases at: Gas Stations Grocery Stores Restaurants. For total eligible purchases of $800 or more made each month from 10/1/2019 - 12/31/2019 up to a maximum total of 20,000 Bonus Points each month.

This card is a points making machine!
I have a question though, if I activated late, will the previous purchases count? I kinda missed October on promo 3 (activated today) but I did spend $1000 in October at gas stations.

355F1 and akr1970akr like this.

Last edited by yugi; Nov 14, 2019 at 11:16 am
Old Nov 19, 2019, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Anyone know how to change the card from earning SYW points to thank you points? There doesn't seem to be an option to change this within the Citi account settings.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 11:30 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by comptalk
Anyone know how to change the card from earning SYW points to thank you points?
Apparently done by telephone, but scroll back to 108 and read forward.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

I tried. No luck. That was why I posted again. At least this time I didn't receive any unnecessary flaming such as in the Southwest forum.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 3:13 pm

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
That's strange. Have you tried escalating to a US supervisor
Old Nov 19, 2019, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by akr1970akr
That's strange. Have you tried escalating to a US supervisor
I was told "no supervisor was available."
Old Nov 20, 2019, 9:37 am

I was told "no supervisor was available."
just keep trying every day, whether with phillipines based reps (they have supervisors there too) or over chat. a foreign supervisor was the one who converted by SYW into TYP earning. she seemed very familiar with it, not a strange alien request.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 6:33 pm

Anyone know how to change the card from earning SYW points to thank you points? There doesn't seem to be an option to change this within the Citi account settings.
My card pre-dated the SYW program, so I can't speak as to any specific limitations on that version. I did have the option to convert to either the SYW or the TY version in my account at one point (when you went through it it prompted you to call though). I was able to convert to the TY version with no issues though. I'm still interested in what the Max version is though.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by schuaa
I am also wondering about this. I often get 10% cash back offers on online spending or groceries, dining, gas. I was just offered to convert my card to TYP. The welcome offer is 30,000 points on $3,000. Have others recently converted? Do the offers keep coming, and are they always in the form of TYP after converting?
Do you mind sharing what the mailed in offer looks like? I am very interested in the conversion even without the offer. Called in multiple times but no luck.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brajalle
My card pre-dated the SYW program, so I can't speak as to any specific limitations on that version. I did have the option to convert to either the SYW or the TY version in my account at one point (when you went through it it prompted you to call though). I was able to convert to the TY version with no issues though. I'm still interested in what the Max version is though.
As did I. I do not recall if I was given an option to convert. My SYW points just expire as I have no use for them. I currently have around 256k in SYW points, but no Sears or Kmart around to use them. The online site is useless for redeeming. I only use the SYW card for the 10% - 20% cash back offers. Right now, I have 20% cash back on gas and grocery until the end of the year. I honestly do not know how Sears or Citi makes any money on this card..

Originally Posted by Fate.AKong
Do you mind sharing what the mailed in offer looks like? I am very interested in the conversion even without the offer. Called in multiple times but no luck.
I get them all the time too. I am also concerned if I turn it into a Thankless Points card I'd lose the cash back offers too.

Last edited by mia; Nov 24, 2019 at 1:33 am Reason: Combine consecutive replies.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 9:36 am

As did I. I do not recall if I was given an option to convert. My SYW points just expire as I have no use for them. I currently have around 256k in SYW points, but no Sears or Kmart around to use them. The online site is useless for redeeming. I only use the SYW card for the 10% - 20% cash back offers. Right now, I have 20% cash back on gas and grocery until the end of the year. I honestly do not know how Sears or Citi makes any money on this card..
The Sears card portfolio has unusual metrics compared to Citi mainline own branded cards. The customers tend to carry balances, do lots of suboptimal spending, and pay interest rates running 1000 bps higher than mainline cards. They also have lower income, and lower CLs. Citi hives off much of the balances to receivables trusts (held by investors) and to meet the requirements for those they need some average FICO score etc. Sprinkling in a few churners can help with those metrics. A couple years ago Citi paid about 250mm to retain the rights to hold on to these customers (Sears was looking at what Synchrony, FIA etc would have given them) so its clearly something they have analyzed. They just seem to be willing to share more of the uprfront benefits with the customers at the moment; eventually if things get stabilized and customer churn is over the deals are likely to slow down. But lets enjoy it while it lasts! If a recession hits, the defaults on this card will likely hit 13% and I'd expect them to treat people harshly. My SO once had a glitch with a Macys card that came from CitiRetailCard Services (their fault) and fixing it was a nightmare that took 18mos. And they were not all that apologetic, nice, or contrite about it. Sears card holders could get the same kind of treatment too. I treat the card very gingerly for servicing requests, based on that prior knowledge.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 9:33 am

Anyone know what happens when you have multiple activated offers on the card?

For example, I've got the 15% back (up to $120/month) on supermarkets, gas stations and I forget what the third one is
Then there's the 10% back on Travel
and then they sent me one for 10% back (one month only I think) for anything over $300 that's basically not Kmart/Sears purchases.

so are they smart enough (it is Citibank) so that if you charge $300 at the supermarket, it falls under the 15% and not the 10%?

I won't know as it takes up to 3 months for the statement credits to post.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by luv2vacay

For example, I've got the 15% back (up to $120/month) on supermarkets, gas stations and I forget what the third one is
and then they sent me one for 10% back (one month only I think) for anything over $300 that's basically not Kmart/Sears purchases.

so are they smart enough (it is Citibank) so that if you charge $300 at the supermarket, it falls under the 15% and not the 10%?

Phone reps have told me multiple eligible offers can stack, and there seems to be so isolated reports of that being true (from people who reported on prior quarters)
luv2vacay likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 1:47 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by luv2vacay

It seems that it works. I just got 30k dropped today to my account, this is from 2 October promos. One was 10k for spending $1k and another was 20x on spending $1k at gas stations, groceries, restaurants. Spent $1k at gas station, and got both promos fulfilled. Post dated activation also worked, it seems.
355F1, akr1970akr and luv2vacay like this.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 8:38 pm

Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC
I love this card now. Signed up.just to get discount on an appliance last year. I started to get offers in the summer for statement credits but they seemed to good to be true and were worded poorly so I didn't jump on them.

They got better with lower spend thresholds so I decided to try it out.

I currently am working 4 offers:

This limited-time offer gives you the flexibility to earn statement credits just by using your Shop Your Way Mastercard® for eligible purchases at gas stations, grocery stores and restaurants. For total eligible purchases of $200 or more made each month from 10/1/2019 - 12/31/2019, you’ll earn 10% in statement credits (up to a maximum total statement credit of $120 each month).

Activate this offer now to earn 10% back in a statement credit**

(up to a total statement credit of $60 each month) when you spend $150 or more on ALL eligible purchases each month and use your Shop Your Way Mastercard® from 10/1/19 – 1/31/20

EARN

BONUS SHOP YOUR WAY POINTS2 ($40 VALUE)

when you activate this offer and make eligible purchases totaling $200 or more with your new Shop Your Way Mastercard ending in xxxx between 11/27/2019 – 12/26/2019

And

ACTIVATE NOW THROUGH 11/30/19 AND ENJOY:
18 MONTHS SPECIAL FINANCING
+
5% BACK AS A
STATEMENT CREDIT**
(UP TO A TOTAL MAXIMUM OF $50 FOR THE ELIGIBLE SPECIAL FINANCING PURCHASES)
ON SINGLE ELIGIBLE PURCHASES OF $549 OR MORE MADE OUTSIDE OF SEARS FROM THE DATE YOU ACTIVATE THROUGH 1/31/20

​​​​​​
This was one of the previous offers, 5% instead of 10% and $500 vs $200.

Activate this offer now to earn 5% back in a statement credit**
(up to a total statement credit of $50)
when you spend $500 or more on ALL eligible purchases and use your Shop Your Way Mastercard® from 7/1/19 – 9/30/19

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.