Citi Sears Card

Hide Wikipost
Old May 6, 22, 2:26 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: yugi
Wiki Link
What counted as online purchase with Sears card (alphabetical order)
  • Amazon purchase or re-load
  • Carters.com (Merchandise-CHILDRENS / INFANTS WEAR STORE)
  • Costco.com
  • Ebay seller fees (direct entry) (MCC: N/A)
  • Fluz (MCC varies, YMMV)
  • Gift Card Mall
  • Homedepot.com (Merchandise-HOME SUPPLY WAREHOUSE STORES)
  • Iherb.com (Merchandise-MISC FOOD STORE,SPECIALTY,CONVENIENCE)
  • Kygunco.com (Merchandise-DURABLE GOODS, NOT ELSEWHERE CLASSIFIED)
  • Lockedloaded.com (Merchandise-SPORTING GOODS STORES)
  • MileagePlusX (MCC varies)
  • Pirateship.com (Services-COURIER SERVICE, FREIGHT FORWARDERS)
  • Plastiq (Restaurants-UTILITIES-ELECTRIC,GAS,SANITARY,WATER)
  • Scholastic.com (Organizations-MISC SCHOOLS / EDUCATIONAL SERVICES)
  • Usmint.gov (Services-MISC GOVERNMENT SERVICES)
What didn't count as online purchase (alphabetical order):
  • Fluz (MCC varies, YMMV)
  • Geico.com (Services-INSURANCE-SALES / UNDERWRITING)
  • Paypal (MCC varies)
What counted as utilities purchase with Sears card (alphabetical order)
  • Cable, Satellite, TV (Restaurants-CABLE,SATELLITE,PAY TV/RADIO SERVICES)
  • Telecom (Restaurants-TELEPHONE SERVICE)
  • Utilities (Restaurants-UTILITIES-ELECTRIC,GAS,SANITARY,WATER)

Print Wikipost

Old Jul 21, 20, 10:32 am

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
Originally Posted by mistermalibu View Post
Don't have Premier nor Prestige and it is a bad timing for new cc LOL.

I am slightly concerned for the yet-to-credit points though. I am waiting on 6k for DECEMBER travel category, 7500 for APR-JUN minimum spend, and 16k for May spend. Nothing credited along with July statement
You can definitely ping them on the December ones, since those should have posted some time ago. The others, they might try and say you need to wait the full T&C time until the investigate. Sears is indeed slow, and the accounting is murky, but so far they haven't shorted me.

Take a look at the charges that were Travel and make sure they were really T&C travel category too. You might have to look at the original offer email to see what was defined, and confirm that you were enrolled.
Old Jul 23, 20, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by BUF777 View Post
I took the chance and paid about $500 in rent online - worst case scenario would be loosing 2500 points, but this DP will be useful in the future.
Well, my rent payment did not count as online. No big deal - it was only 2500 points, I guess
Old Jul 23, 20, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by BUF777 View Post
Well, my rent payment did not count as online. No big deal - it was only 2500 points, I guess
If you have another Citi card, you can login and look at the "Purchase Method" coded under each transaction. If the transaction says "Online" it should count for the Sears card online purchase promos as well. If it says "Card Swiped" or is completely missing that line it probably won't count. It's annoying as some purchases you would think are "Online" aren't always coded that way.
akr1970akr, EZjace and BUF777 like this.
Old Jul 27, 20, 9:08 am

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, AA, WN, BA, AS, TK, Radisson, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham
Today I received my first points from "online" promo. GCM and Plastiq did count, but Paypal didn't. Damn!
akr1970akr likes this.
Old Aug 8, 20, 1:04 pm

This has to be one of the most profitable (for the consumer) credit cards ever!

I have a GC and gas station rewards of 10% over $2000 (start in Jan-Mar when the had 20% instead, and they keep refreshing) running until the end of September. For May-June, they had a 10% back when you spend more than $500 online. In the interim, I got two more offers to spend $1000 and get $75 credits (May-Jun and Jun-Jul 17). And then last month got a 5% back when you spend more than $549 in a single purchase (and generally these are all combinable!). Today I got another offer with a 20% back on utilities (for a max of $75 per month through the end of September).

I am at around $1600 in cashback for the year (from a spend of $12200 dollars, and another 800 pending from purchase), and looks like I'll likely make more purchases to get another $600 for the year by the looks of it!

Thus, I have gotten $2400 from a spend of around $12500 thus far (about an 18-19% cashback, in spite of. the many 10% offers, because of all the additional $75 on top when you spend $Y). Just to put that in perspective, I would've needed a spend of $120,000 on a 2% cashback card to get the same amount! I also get the 1-2% SYW points (which are largely worthless but add to another $125-$175 worth of points at Sears/Kmart).
Old Aug 8, 20, 5:41 pm

New offer today on top of an existing one (the 20x on grocery/gas/food) - 25x points on utilities. Haven't gotten this category before.

Activate your offer now to start earning 25X Bonus ThankYou® Points on
eligible utility purchases.2 For total eligible utility purchases of $100 or more made each month from 8/01/20 to 10/31/20, you’ll earn 25X Bonus ThankYou Points (up to a maximum total of 9,000 Bonus ThankYou Points each month).
So it looks like to maximize this I'd have to spend exactly $460 in utilities each month. Note that it's 25x in addition to the existing 1x - so it would be 9460 points (20.5x) on exactly $460.

Definition of utilities -
Utilities are classified as merchants that provide electricity, gas (natural or propane), home heating oil, water system supply services, collection and disposal of refuse, or the delivery of cable or satellite television or radio programming on a subscription or fee basis.
I'm not sure if it would cover internet, online radio (ie pandora or spotify), or streaming services, but it reads like it covers SiriusXM sat radio. Probably depends on exact merchant code. If anyone has a propane tank or can pay extra on utilities to build up a credit, this may be a good way to maximize this promo if you receive it.
Old Aug 9, 20, 10:11 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by brajalle View Post
- 25x points on utilities. Haven't gotten this category before.

So it looks like to maximize this I'd have to spend exactly $460 in utilities each month. Note that it's 25x in addition to the existing 1x - so it would be 9460 points (20.5x) on exactly $460.
$360 x 25 = 9360 TYPs.

I got it too.
Old Aug 10, 20, 1:05 pm

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
Originally Posted by mhdena View Post
$360 x 25 = 9360 TYPs.

I got it too.
Ugh. I have not been getting any of the new Sears offers at all.

At least some of the other points posted.

Have not been doing the Gas/Grocery/Rest ones since they are 2k/mo min for me, and I'm not MS'ing.

I could have really used that utility one today!
Old Aug 11, 20, 10:24 pm

$360 x 25 = 9360 TYPs.

I got it too.
Ditto. Card opened since 1996.
Old Aug 12, 20, 4:45 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
Got it as well. Member since '12
Old Aug 13, 20, 9:41 pm

Programs: yes
Just got approved for this card. CL of $1002.
Income $65k, FICO ~800.

Do they start everybody off with such a paltry credit limit?
Ebates did this too me, then like 6 months later raised it to like $8k, just wondering if that is the common case here too
Old Aug 17, 20, 11:41 am

Looking to apply for the Sears MasterCard with TYP.
Went to the Citi site but not seeing the Sears card listed for application.
Did you apply from the Sears web site? Also, if we apply from there, can we choose TYP as the reward?

Originally Posted by DH Jed View Post
Just got approved for this card. CL of $1002.
Old Aug 17, 20, 11:55 am

Programs: yes
The TYP option has supposedly been shut down for a while, 2017 i think i saw. Still worth it for the chance of the generous statement credit offers, and now that SYW points can be used on some GCs through raise

https://m.sears.com/searscard is where I applied
Old Aug 18, 20, 8:35 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
$360 x 25 = 9360 TYPs.

I got it too.
This is a very timely bonus with the heat wave we're having, the next few months will be the highest electric bills, I have solar but still nice to have a category spend.
Old Aug 18, 20, 11:05 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
7500pts for $750+ spend between 8.18-10.16

Search this Thread