Community
Wiki Posts
Search

getting grace period back on Citi cards

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2017, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

getting grace period back on Citi cards

Does anyone know exactly when a grace period is reinstated, on a card (specifically Citi Double Cash) that was previously carrying a balance? (I know this is a rare situation for us, but I had a 0% promo rate on purchases, which is ending soon; and I actually want to use the Double Cash for some purchases even after the 0% ends.)

The terms say you "won't have a grace period on Purchases again until you pay the New Balance in full by the payment due date 2 Billing Periods in a row."

The main thing I'm not sure about is whether the grace period applies to new purchases immediately after I make the 2nd full-statement-balance payment, or if it doesn't apply until after the current due date or after the current statement closes.

e.g.: 0% ends 6/1. For 4/14 statement, payment is due 5/10 and I pay the full balance from that statement on 5/9; for 5/12 statement due 6/10, I pay full balance 5/18. If I make a new purchase 5/18, will it have a grace period (i.e., after 6/1 it won't be charged any interest)? Or only purchases after the June statement closes will have a grace period?

(I also wonder whether the "2 Billing Periods" rule might not even apply if I have 0% interest, i.e., maybe they're just talking about avoiding interest on a previous finance charge. But to be safe I paid the full balance for 2 statements.)
(Funny side note: I called Citi to ask about this and they told me nonsense like "Citi cards don't have a grace period".)

Last edited by sbft77; May 26, 2017 at 12:57 am
Old May 21, 2017, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by sbft77
e.g.: 0% ends 6/1. For 4/14 statement, payment is due 5/10 and I pay the full balance from that statement on 5/9; for 5/12 statement due 6/10, I pay full balance 5/18. If I make a new purchase 5/18, will it have a grace period (i.e., after 6/1 it won't be charged any interest)? Or only purchases after the June statement closes will have a grace period?
IMO - just to be safe, I would pay off the entire balance on or before 6/1, which 0% will come to an end. Then I would try to avoid using the card for the rest of the billing cycle.

Then Citi has no excuse charging you interest.

Originally Posted by sbft77
(Funny side note: I called Citi to ask about this and they told me nonsense like "Citi cards don't have a grace period".)
Citi ranked last among all major credit issuers in term of credit card service. In that case, should you really have an expectation at all?
Old May 22, 2017, 11:59 am

Generally speaking (i.e with most creditors but I can't speak specifically to Citi), paying in full twice is to address residual interest. If you haven't carried a balance subject to interest then you won't have residual interest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.