Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Best way to redeem 5700 Thank you points without airlines usage....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2017, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Looking for a 1c per point transaction, even if it's just gift cards.

I think there's also an option to redeem the points toward a single purchase on my statement... but I'm not sure whether my accumulated points need to be less than or greater than that single purchase. I'm also not sure if I even get a 1c valuation this way...

Any ideas before I cancel this card (ideas that don't involve travel, at least)?
Old Feb 24, 2017, 8:39 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
The redemption value of points depends on the card that you hold, and you haven't told us the name of your card. What redemption values do you see when you login to thankyou.com?
jjmiller69 likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
The redemption value of points depends on the card that you hold, and you haven't told us the name of your card. What redemption values do you see when you login to thankyou.com?
Well... it appears that for statement credits, each point is only worth half a cent. Gift cards appear to be a 1:1 ratio.

And the "Select and Credit" feature I was referring to is somewhere between half a cent and 1c per point. I don't have any purchases on my statement to try it out, but in Citi's video they made.... the example female in the video was perhaps getting 0.7c valuation per point??? And apparently, you must have enough points to cover the entire transaction. So if I were to make a $57 transaction, 5700 points wouldn't cover it because I actually need 50% more points (or something to that effect).

The card I have is the Access More card. I used it just to sell an iPhone 7. This was one of my more lucrative cards, even if it did require a couple more hoops to jump thru.

I guess I should just stick to $50 in gift cards?? And perhaps make a couple $1 or $2 purchases to handle the remaining 700 points...
Old Feb 26, 2017, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by DoctorBuzz
I guess I should just stick to $50 in gift cards??
Yes.

Originally Posted by DoctorBuzz
And perhaps make a couple $1 or $2 purchases to handle the remaining 700 points...
Redeem the rest through Amazon.
jjmiller69 likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I now have a lot of points expiring on 12/31 and wonder too. I earned from the banking side and don't really have their credit card. I also have more hotel/airline points than I can use. So, it seems merchandise is the option? It seems they are all mostly 1 point = 1 cent, right? No way to turn into Amazon credit (that I can use later), right?

Thanks.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by username
I earned from the banking side and don't really have their credit card.
TY points earned through banking are not transferable.

So, it seems merchandise is the option? It seems they are all mostly 1 point = 1 cent, right? No way to turn into Amazon credit (that I can use later), right?
I could be wrong. But I believe you can.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 9:34 pm

I now have a lot of points expiring on 12/31 and wonder too. I earned from the banking side and don't really have their credit card. I also have more hotel/airline points than I can use. So, it seems merchandise is the option? It seems they are all mostly 1 point = 1 cent, right? No way to turn into Amazon credit (that I can use later), right?

Thanks.
You can't buy Amazon gift cards directly, but you can buy gift cards to Best Buy, Home Depot, Staples, and Target, which all sell tons of different types of gift cards. I'm not sure if Best Buy still does, but they used to carry Kindle gift cards, which are just Amazon gift cards under another name. Or if you're like most of us, Target gift cards are the same as cash, just like Amazon.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 1:20 am

You can redeem for a mortgage or student loan check also at 1c.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.