Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA Platinum invitation to upgrade to AA Executive (no bonus)

Old Jan 21, 2017, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum

Hi Guys,

My AF for my Citi AA Platinum card just posted and I received the following email:

A special Citi® / AAdvantage® cardmember invitation to upgrade.*

As a valued Citi® / AAdvantage® cardmember, you’re now eligible to upgrade* to the Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite™ MasterCard®. It delivers a collection of exceptional benefits designed for you and your travels on the world’s largest airline.

ADMIRALS CLUB® MEMBERSHIP1

You can now upgrade to the only credit card that grants you membership to the Admirals Club® lounges — a value of up to $550. You and your Authorized Users will have access to the comfort and convenience of more than 50 Admirals Club® lounges worldwide. There, you can relax, enjoy complimentary refreshments and prepare for your journey.

YOUR JOURNEY BEGINS WITH VIP PRIVILEGES

With this upgrade, you’ll also enjoy a number of privileges including an opportunity to earn Elite Qualifying Miles,2 Global Entry or TSA Pre√® Application Fee Credit3 (up to a $100 value every 5 years) and an Enhanced Airport Experience on domestic flights.4 Plus, your first checked bag5 is free for you and up to 8 travel companions — 4 more than what you get with your current card.

Experience all this and more for an annual fee of $450. Upon upgrading, 10% redeemed miles back will not be available on your new account.

And best of all, you will keep the same account number when you upgrade.

And now as a SPECIAL BONUS when you upgrade, you can earn 20,000 AAdvantage® miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months!†

As you can see I am being offered 20k miles to upgrade. My questions are:

Do you guys know by experience if they do a hard pull or anything? I clicked the link and only asked me for my last 4 digits of the social and last name. But since citi have my SSN I wonder if they will pull it anyways.

Does Citi still offers $350 AF for this card for being a citigold?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by mia; Jan 21, 2017 at 2:32 pm Reason: Combine cross-posted question.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 10:44 am

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
I seem to recall that any website offered "upgrade" was just a guise for doing a pre-approved hard pull.

I don't think it is worth it for you. "Upgrading" means:
- just getting 20K while applying outright/fresh will net you 50K
- there is no 10K annual rebate on the Exec Card (two rebates in two years will match the 20K offered)
- retention offers are easier on the AA Plat since it is only a 95 annual fee.

For me I got in on the deal when AA was offering 100K miles for the AA Exec, years back. They are now only offering 50K but honestly, for me, the card is really only good for AA Admirals Club Membership if you tend to use it a lot. I let the card go after a year. Prestige, CSR, and even the AMEX Plat have more compelling reasons to keep a premium card.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by lotrbfme
does this card still have the $350 AF for citigold clients?
Yes, although unlike the Prestige, they would not apply the $350 AF to an existing account. We ended up applying for a new one in-branch (using an offer for CitiGold clients) which had the $350 AF and no 24-month restriction.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mrkymark
I seem to recall that any website offered "upgrade" was just a guise for doing a pre-approved hard pull.

- there is no 10K annual rebate on the Exec Card (two rebates in two years will match the 20K offered)

For me I got in on the deal when AA was offering 100K miles for the AA Exec, years back. They are now only offering 50K but honestly, for me, the card is really only good for AA Admirals Club Membership if you tend to use it a lot. I let the card go after a year. Prestige, CSR, and even the AMEX Plat have more compelling reasons to keep a premium card.
Thank you for the information!
Old Jan 21, 2017, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nall
Yes, although unlike the Prestige, they would not apply the $350 AF to an existing account. We ended up applying for a new one in-branch (using an offer for CitiGold clients) which had the $350 AF and no 24-month restriction.
What really? No 24month restriction on citigold offer in branch? How many miles do you get on that offer?^^
Old Jan 21, 2017, 4:00 pm

What really? No 24month restriction on citigold offer in branch? How many miles do you get on that offer?^^
50K, I forget the spend requirement. This was several months ago, so it may have changed.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by mrkymark

In my case, when I upgraded, Citi told me no hard pull and there was none. Do not disagree with the rest of your analysis. I had my reasons to upgrade vs apply for a new card at the time, but for many people getting a new card would be best.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 8:05 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Is there anywhere on the account page that I can see if I'm eligible for upgrade?
Old Feb 6, 2017, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Do you guys know by experience if they do a hard pull or anything? I clicked the link and only asked me for my last 4 digits of the social and last name. But since citi have my SSN I wonder if they will pull it anyways.
A consent must be given for the HP. If no mentioning, no pull or soft pull.

It should.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Is there anywhere on the account page that I can see if I'm eligible for upgrade?
They send out e-mails, but I believe I also saw an invitation somewhere on my account page. Where exactly on the page I unfortunately do not remember.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 11:23 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Platinum
Upgrade Citi AAdvantage Platinum MC to Executive?

I just received an Email inviting me to upgrade my Citi AAdvantage Platinum World Elite MasterCard to the AAdvantage Executive World Elite MasterCard.

In return for the increased annual fee, the only real advantage seems to be access to the Admirals Club. The upgrade offer did NOT include the opportunity to earn any bonus points. And unlike the Platinum MC, the Executive Card does not rebate 10% of your redeemed AAdvantage miles back (up to 10,000 miles per year).

I'm inclined to pass on this offer as I don't fly AA that often and thus don't usually make us of the Admirals Clubs. Most of my flying is on United and I have the United Club card that gives me access to United Clubs worldwide.

What do you think? Are there reasons to upgrade my AAdvantage card that I'm missing?

Thanks!
Old Jul 25, 2017, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AMEX-Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG-Gold
I am primarily UAL, but just started flying AA a bunch and have the Platinum Select card. Thinking about upgrading to AA Club Card once I get my initial 50K miles. UAL is better payout with 1.5 miles per $ spent. So I will just be using it for Club access due to my increased flying on AA. If your not traveling with AA much the extra cost is not worth it. IMHO

I get Global TSA refund through my Amex Plat.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 1:43 pm

I upgraded to get club access because I am flying aa much more often on domestic routes. The other benefit was the EQMs. I was told that the spend would be transferred if I upgraded rather than apply for the new card. Now I am being told that spend prior to the upgrade does not count towards the 40000 I need to get the eqms. Confusing in that my spend report shows spend prior and post upgrade. Does anyone have experience here It is annoying in that applying for the new card was far more beneficial other that the ability to have the dollars I had already spent count in a year I will probably need the extra eqms.

Thanks for any info on this
Old Nov 10, 2017, 1:26 pm

anyone know if the prorated thing works when you have paid for your admirals club with MILES and not cash? I need to have authorized users (my kids who are over 18) be able t enter the club for holiday trip, and will go ahead and apply for the card. Just wondering if they'll rebate some miles since the club membership won't have yet expired. Called Citi and AA and reps I spoke with said they didn't know due to miles being used for the previous club membership renewal.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 5:10 pm

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime

Thanks in advance.
I've been looking online and I can't seem to find much reference to the Citi AA Exec card being offered at $350 for Citigold accounts?

Is this an 'in branch only' offer?

Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.