Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Should I get the Citi Prestige to complement Chase Sapphire Reserve?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2017, 10:01 am
Original Poster

So, I recently got a Sapphire Reserve card which is my only credit card currently. I have been considering another card to complement this card and for different benefits and also to begin to diversify my spending for value on different airlines.

I also would like to take a trip to Australia/New Zealand this next year and fly business or first class there and back.

It seems that Thank You points could be used on 3 airlines for this, Eithad, Emirates and Quantas.

Im also curious if you can transfer to additional airlines that are members of the same alliances as the partners that you can transfer points to?

The main reason why I was considering the Prestige was the fact that it has the 4th night free which seems by itself to completely cover the AF. All the other benefits don't seem that interesting or I already get with my CSR.

I have also been considering getting the SPG Amex since I hear good things about that also. Id like to know what others think.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 11:28 am

Programs: UA, VX, QF, EY, VA
Originally Posted by choff5507
So, I recently got a Sapphire Reserve card which is my only credit card currently. I have been considering another card to complement this card and for different benefits and also to begin to diversify my spending for value on different airlines.

I also would like to take a trip to Australia/New Zealand this next year and fly business or first class there and back.

It seems that Thank You points could be used on 3 airlines for this, Eithad, Emirates and Quantas.

Im also curious if you can transfer to additional airlines that are members of the same alliances as the partners that you can transfer points to?

The main reason why I was considering the Prestige was the fact that it has the 4th night free which seems by itself to completely cover the AF. All the other benefits don't seem that interesting or I already get with my CSR.

I have also been considering getting the SPG Amex since I hear good things about that also. Id like to know what others think.
I carry all 3 cards. My primary use of TYP is SQ or Flying Blue redemptions. Qantas points are worthless.

MC also have better exchange rates for a lot of currency pairs.

My last trip to Sydney was a SQ Suites award there, and a Virgin Australia business award back (through Delta via a MR transfer).

My next trip will be in UA F award SFO-AKL and back via UR points.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 11:30 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
...can transfer to additional airlines that are members of the same alliances as the partners that you can transfer points to?.
No, you can only transfer to the airline programs listed HERE, but you can redeem through those programs for flights operated by their alliance and other partners.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by patrick.barnes
I carry all 3 cards. My primary use of TYP is SQ or Flying Blue redemptions. Qantas points are worthless.

MC also have better exchange rates for a lot of currency pairs.

My last trip to Sydney was a SQ Suites award there, and a Virgin Australia business award back (through Delta via a MR transfer).

My next trip will be in UA F award SFO-AKL and back via UR points.
I appreciate your response. I already have access to SQ and Flying Blue through UR so that would be doubling up and not extending my options.

Is it difficult to find round trip award tickets in business or first or should I plan on perhaps booking on different airlines coming and going?

I asked also in the Starpoints forum about the SPG Amex, it seems that the responses I got make it uncertain about what will happen with the Marriott merger.

Outside of the points, it seems like the Citi Prestige would be hard to not make money off of with the 4th night free promo but wouldn't really change what airlines I have points for.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you end up finding availability for that SFO-AKL award and how many points did you spend on it?

TIA
Old Jan 15, 2017, 8:03 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
So, I recently got a Sapphire Reserve card which is my only credit card currently. I have been considering another card to complement this card
In your position I recommend getting the Sapphire Preferred with 50K URs no 1st year fee. After making the spend getting the Freedom or Freedom Unlimited or both. These cards points will complement the Reserve and add to the UR bucket of points.

The other cards mentioned will be available most anytime. That's not currently the case with Chase's 5/24 rule.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 10:01 pm

Programs: UNITED 1P
I wouldn't given that most of the benefits is the same unless u want it for the sign on.

And even though I travel frequently, I find it pretty hard to stay in one place for 4 nights to ever use the 4th night benefit. It depends on ur travel habits I guess.

I appreciate your response. I already have access to SQ and Flying Blue through UR so that would be doubling up and not extending my options.

Is it difficult to find round trip award tickets in business or first or should I plan on perhaps booking on different airlines coming and going?

I asked also in the Starpoints forum about the SPG Amex, it seems that the responses I got make it uncertain about what will happen with the Marriott merger.

Outside of the points, it seems like the Citi Prestige would be hard to not make money off of with the 4th night free promo but wouldn't really change what airlines I have points for.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you end up finding availability for that SFO-AKL award and how many points did you spend on it?

TIA
Old Jan 15, 2017, 10:12 pm

If you want more point transfer options, then yes.

Last edited by s0ssos; Jan 18, 2017 at 1:28 pm Reason: corrected
Old Jan 17, 2017, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos
If you want more point transfer options, then yes. But the main thing is the Priority Pass with the Citi allows you to take a guest for free (for other cards it is $28 or something)
The CSR does the same. It seems like he already has that card.

I would say that the real benefit over the CSR is the 4th night free. I never used it. But if you can get $200+ value out of that, the Prestige could be worth it.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 6:05 pm

If you can use the fourth night to great value it's amazing. If you can't then it's mediocre as the transfer partners are relatively awkward. My wife and I can extract $5,000+ of value out of it a year, so it's pretty obviously worth it. But if you never stay more than three nights anywhere, I don't really see the value.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 8:02 pm

I hold the Citi Prestige, and I consider the following perks valuable:

- 4th night free. Basically buy 3 get 1 free. Free night can help boost hotel status, or use it for late check-out.
- 3-hour for trip delay coverage to kick in.
- 24 months extended warranty.
- 60-day price rewind.
- 120-day purchase protection on theft and damage.
- Missed event protection.

I am still pretty bumped that Admirals Club access is being taken away though.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 4:02 pm

For benefits, consider pairing it with an Amex Platinum. Both also go well with the no-annual fee Everyday and Freedom cards.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 8:31 pm

Prestige's spot in your wallet really depends how you rank the benefits.

The 4th night free can be great, or mostly worthless. There's often promos that are equal to it, or specific discounts available that end up being worth about the same. On the flip side, it's pretty much agnostic about where/how you use it, and it's an easy flat 25% off.

The other benefits - the consumer protection benefits are available on any no-AF Citi card, and the travel benefits just depend on if you think you'll need them (for the record, they rock IMO).

So it's really hit or miss for the $450 AF, just evaluate it on your own and determine if it merits a spot in your wallet.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by brajalle
Prestige's spot in your wallet really depends how you rank the benefits.

The 4th night free can be great, or mostly worthless. There's often promos that are equal to it, or specific discounts available that end up being worth about the same. On the flip side, it's pretty much agnostic about where/how you use it, and it's an easy flat 25% off.

The other benefits - the consumer protection benefits are available on any no-AF Citi card, and the travel benefits just depend on if you think you'll need them (for the record, they rock IMO).

So it's really hit or miss for the $450 AF, just evaluate it on your own and determine if it merits a spot in your wallet.
This is right. I have both CSR and Prestige and use the Prestige exclusively for the 4th night free benefit. That is immensely valuable to us because we stay at mainly independent hotels, and usually even if we are at a chain hotel I pay cash because we save our points for aspirational redemptions. I will personally save about $1600 on 4th night free stays between January and May this year, which is obviously worth it. If you won't use the 4th night free I don't think it is worth it to have the Prestige in addition to the CSR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.