Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Should I get the Citi Prestige to complement Chase Sapphire Reserve?

Should I get the Citi Prestige to complement Chase Sapphire Reserve?

Old Jan 15, 17, 10:01 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 100
Should I get the Citi Prestige to complement Chase Sapphire Reserve?

So, I recently got a Sapphire Reserve card which is my only credit card currently. I have been considering another card to complement this card and for different benefits and also to begin to diversify my spending for value on different airlines.

I also would like to take a trip to Australia/New Zealand this next year and fly business or first class there and back.

It seems that Thank You points could be used on 3 airlines for this, Eithad, Emirates and Quantas.

Im also curious if you can transfer to additional airlines that are members of the same alliances as the partners that you can transfer points to?

The main reason why I was considering the Prestige was the fact that it has the 4th night free which seems by itself to completely cover the AF. All the other benefits don't seem that interesting or I already get with my CSR.

I have also been considering getting the SPG Amex since I hear good things about that also. Id like to know what others think.
choff5507 is offline  
Old Jan 15, 17, 11:28 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: SF
Programs: UA, VX, QF, EY, VA
Posts: 756
Originally Posted by choff5507 View Post
So, I recently got a Sapphire Reserve card which is my only credit card currently. I have been considering another card to complement this card and for different benefits and also to begin to diversify my spending for value on different airlines.

I also would like to take a trip to Australia/New Zealand this next year and fly business or first class there and back.

It seems that Thank You points could be used on 3 airlines for this, Eithad, Emirates and Quantas.

Im also curious if you can transfer to additional airlines that are members of the same alliances as the partners that you can transfer points to?

The main reason why I was considering the Prestige was the fact that it has the 4th night free which seems by itself to completely cover the AF. All the other benefits don't seem that interesting or I already get with my CSR.

I have also been considering getting the SPG Amex since I hear good things about that also. Id like to know what others think.
I carry all 3 cards. My primary use of TYP is SQ or Flying Blue redemptions. Qantas points are worthless.

MC also have better exchange rates for a lot of currency pairs.

My last trip to Sydney was a SQ Suites award there, and a Virgin Australia business award back (through Delta via a MR transfer).

My next trip will be in UA F award SFO-AKL and back via UR points.
patrick.barnes is offline  
Old Jan 15, 17, 11:30 am
  #3  
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami & London
Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Posts: 42,268
Originally Posted by choff5507 View Post
...can transfer to additional airlines that are members of the same alliances as the partners that you can transfer points to?.
No, you can only transfer to the airline programs listed HERE, but you can redeem through those programs for flights operated by their alliance and other partners.
mia is offline  
Old Jan 15, 17, 2:28 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 100
Originally Posted by patrick.barnes View Post
I carry all 3 cards. My primary use of TYP is SQ or Flying Blue redemptions. Qantas points are worthless.

MC also have better exchange rates for a lot of currency pairs.

My last trip to Sydney was a SQ Suites award there, and a Virgin Australia business award back (through Delta via a MR transfer).

My next trip will be in UA F award SFO-AKL and back via UR points.
I appreciate your response. I already have access to SQ and Flying Blue through UR so that would be doubling up and not extending my options.

Is it difficult to find round trip award tickets in business or first or should I plan on perhaps booking on different airlines coming and going?

I asked also in the Starpoints forum about the SPG Amex, it seems that the responses I got make it uncertain about what will happen with the Marriott merger.

Outside of the points, it seems like the Citi Prestige would be hard to not make money off of with the 4th night free promo but wouldn't really change what airlines I have points for.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you end up finding availability for that SFO-AKL award and how many points did you spend on it?

TIA
choff5507 is offline  
Old Jan 15, 17, 8:03 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: LAX, BUR
Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Posts: 1,820
Originally Posted by choff5507 View Post
So, I recently got a Sapphire Reserve card which is my only credit card currently. I have been considering another card to complement this card
In your position I recommend getting the Sapphire Preferred with 50K URs no 1st year fee. After making the spend getting the Freedom or Freedom Unlimited or both. These cards points will complement the Reserve and add to the UR bucket of points.

The other cards mentioned will be available most anytime. That's not currently the case with Chase's 5/24 rule.
mhdena is offline  
Old Jan 15, 17, 10:01 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: US, CA, HK
Programs: UNITED 1P
Posts: 508
I wouldn't given that most of the benefits is the same unless u want it for the sign on.

And even though I travel frequently, I find it pretty hard to stay in one place for 4 nights to ever use the 4th night benefit. It depends on ur travel habits I guess.

Originally Posted by choff5507 View Post
I appreciate your response. I already have access to SQ and Flying Blue through UR so that would be doubling up and not extending my options.

Is it difficult to find round trip award tickets in business or first or should I plan on perhaps booking on different airlines coming and going?

I asked also in the Starpoints forum about the SPG Amex, it seems that the responses I got make it uncertain about what will happen with the Marriott merger.

Outside of the points, it seems like the Citi Prestige would be hard to not make money off of with the 4th night free promo but wouldn't really change what airlines I have points for.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you end up finding availability for that SFO-AKL award and how many points did you spend on it?

TIA
nanirina is offline  
Old Jan 15, 17, 10:12 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 6,260
If you want more point transfer options, then yes.

Last edited by s0ssos; Jan 18, 17 at 1:28 pm Reason: corrected
s0ssos is offline  
Old Jan 17, 17, 1:13 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 393
Originally Posted by s0ssos View Post
If you want more point transfer options, then yes. But the main thing is the Priority Pass with the Citi allows you to take a guest for free (for other cards it is $28 or something)
The CSR does the same. It seems like he already has that card.

I would say that the real benefit over the CSR is the 4th night free. I never used it. But if you can get $200+ value out of that, the Prestige could be worth it.
maxp0wers is offline  
Old Jan 19, 17, 6:05 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: GUW
Posts: 475
If you can use the fourth night to great value it's amazing. If you can't then it's mediocre as the transfer partners are relatively awkward. My wife and I can extract $5,000+ of value out of it a year, so it's pretty obviously worth it. But if you never stay more than three nights anywhere, I don't really see the value.
Productivity is offline  
Old Jan 20, 17, 8:02 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 205
I hold the Citi Prestige, and I consider the following perks valuable:

- 4th night free. Basically buy 3 get 1 free. Free night can help boost hotel status, or use it for late check-out.
- 3-hour for trip delay coverage to kick in.
- 24 months extended warranty.
- 60-day price rewind.
- 120-day purchase protection on theft and damage.
- Missed event protection.

I am still pretty bumped that Admirals Club access is being taken away though.
nesnith is offline  
Old Jan 21, 17, 4:02 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,226
Originally Posted by choff5507 View Post
So, I recently got a Sapphire Reserve card which is my only credit card currently. I have been considering another card to complement this card and for different benefits and also to begin to diversify my spending for value on different airlines.
For benefits, consider pairing it with an Amex Platinum. Both also go well with the no-annual fee Everyday and Freedom cards.
nall is offline  
Old Jan 22, 17, 8:31 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 85
Prestige's spot in your wallet really depends how you rank the benefits.

The 4th night free can be great, or mostly worthless. There's often promos that are equal to it, or specific discounts available that end up being worth about the same. On the flip side, it's pretty much agnostic about where/how you use it, and it's an easy flat 25% off.

The other benefits - the consumer protection benefits are available on any no-AF Citi card, and the travel benefits just depend on if you think you'll need them (for the record, they rock IMO).

So it's really hit or miss for the $450 AF, just evaluate it on your own and determine if it merits a spot in your wallet.
brajalle is offline  
Old Jan 24, 17, 11:10 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 144
Originally Posted by brajalle View Post
Prestige's spot in your wallet really depends how you rank the benefits.

The 4th night free can be great, or mostly worthless. There's often promos that are equal to it, or specific discounts available that end up being worth about the same. On the flip side, it's pretty much agnostic about where/how you use it, and it's an easy flat 25% off.

The other benefits - the consumer protection benefits are available on any no-AF Citi card, and the travel benefits just depend on if you think you'll need them (for the record, they rock IMO).

So it's really hit or miss for the $450 AF, just evaluate it on your own and determine if it merits a spot in your wallet.
This is right. I have both CSR and Prestige and use the Prestige exclusively for the 4th night free benefit. That is immensely valuable to us because we stay at mainly independent hotels, and usually even if we are at a chain hotel I pay cash because we save our points for aspirational redemptions. I will personally save about $1600 on 4th night free stays between January and May this year, which is obviously worth it. If you won't use the 4th night free I don't think it is worth it to have the Prestige in addition to the CSR.
MapleLeafss is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: