Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

How to cancel flight purchased through Citi Travel Center

Old Sep 10, 16, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

my plans have changed and so I can no longer use the return portion of my non-refundable ticket. I understand that I may be eligible to receive the taxes I paid back; however, on my itinerary it shows that the Citi travel center used their mastercard to make the purchase with AA (I paid in points on the Citi website).

Ordinarily I would call up AA to request the refund but wouldnt they just refund Citi's card as thats the one that was used to make the purchase? Instead, do I need to call Citi and have them request the taxes back and wait for Citi to reimburse me? Are there any other options, such as receiving a credit voucher for the unused leg?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice
Old Sep 11, 16, 3:55 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Typically "nonrefundable" tickets can be changed and used by the same passenger within 365 days of the date of issue (not the original date of travel), by paying a fee. In some cases the fee may exceed to value of the ticket, but if you are eligible for a credit it will be issued in the form of an electronic voucher. The voucher will not appear anywhere in aa.com, you simply need to know that you have it.

Start here:

https://prefunds.aa.com/refunds/
Old Sep 11, 16, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia View Post
Typically "nonrefundable" tickets can be changed and used by the same passenger within 365 days of the date of issue (not the original date of travel), by paying a fee. In some cases the fee may exceed to value of the ticket, but if you are eligible for a credit it will be issued in the form of an electronic voucher. The voucher will not appear anywhere in aa.com, you simply need to know that you have it.

Start here:

https://prefunds.aa.com/refunds/
Thanks for the reply. So you are saying that if I go through this process it doesnt matter that I booked through Citi travel center (and so it is their corporate credit card which made the booking with AA as opposed to mine)?
Old Sep 12, 16, 9:10 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Originally Posted by renzomullany View Post
... doesnt matter that I booked through Citi travel center...
It would matter if the ticket were refundable, but because it is nonrefundable the original method of payment is unimportant. AA will not be crediting anything to that card.
Old Sep 12, 16, 10:06 am

It would matter if the ticket were refundable, but because it is nonrefundable the original method of payment is unimportant. AA will not be crediting anything to that card.
so still has two choices?

1) pay cancellation fee on nonrefundable, get credit to be used in next 12 months

2) don't use ticket, get a refund on taxes?

https://www.aa.com/pubcontent/en_US/...ce/Refunds.jsp

Upon request, taxes and fees not imposed by the airline may be refunded if the airline's obligation to remit the tax or fee depends upon use of the ticket for travel. Taxes and fees will not be refunded if the airline's obligation to remit the tax or fee arises from the collection of the tax or fee.

All taxes and fees imposed by the United States government fall within this category and are not refundable.
Old Sep 12, 16, 10:34 am
mia

Originally Posted by paperwastage View Post
so still has two choices?
We don't know if the ticket domestic or international.
Old Sep 12, 16, 3:18 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG-Marriott-R-C Plat Elite, IHG Plat
I just did something like this. This past spring, I cancelled a domestic flight I had booked online using ThankYou points. The ticket was for a non-refundable F fare on AA, so Citi's travel agency held the "credit" for me, and I had to re-book a new flight within a year of ticket issuance (really important detail, as it's not 12 months from the date of travel, so in my case I had less than a year to travel on a re-booked ticket).

When I was ready to re-book a new flight, I was required to call Connexions travel (Citi's agency), and pay the fare difference plus $200 change fee. You cannot re-book online. Their number is 800-842-6596.
Old Sep 12, 16, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

We don't know if the ticket domestic or international.
It's the return portion of an international flight: the unused leg will be JFK -> LHR. I think I will be better off asking for a refund of taxes - not sure how much that is, but the total breakdown is:

Passenger x 1

131.00 USD

Taxes
230.66 USD

Carrier-imposed fees
210.20 USD

Total (all passengers)
571.86 USD

I think I will have to call Connexions, and hopefully they will know of this policy to refund unused taxes
Old Sep 13, 16, 8:31 am
mia

Originally Posted by renzomullany View Post
It's the return portion of an international flight:
I did not use all the segments of my nonrefundable ticket. Am I entitled to any sort of compensation?

A: Most nonrefundable tickets are issued on a completed round-trip basis. The residual value is determined as the difference between the fare paid and the fare for the transportation actually used as determined by the applicable rules less any fees or penalties defined in the rules of the fare that was purchased. Had you purchased a ticket with only the segments you actually traveled, the fare would probably have been much higher, so typically there is no residual value from the unused portion of your ticket.
https://www.aa.com/pubcontent/en_US/...ce/Refunds.jsp
Old Sep 13, 16, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. This extract doesnt address the issue of taxes, although another section of your link does - I will have next to no residual value of the ticket fare, but some of the taxes should be refunded (the ones which are paid to the relevant authorities dependent on whether the passenger travels). As the flight is not until December, I think ill wait a while to see if there is a late schedule change (which will allow me to rebook for free
), and if not I will cancel closer to the time and hopefully get some taxes back
Old Sep 18, 16, 4:48 pm

Programs: WN A-List; Hyatt Glob: CC/HH Gold, Hertz 5*
For a JFK-LHR flight the taxes are most likely just $5.60, LHR-JFK is another story....
Old Aug 12, 19, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
With the pending devaluation, I would like to use my remaining TYP to purchase air tickets - but do not have any current travel plans. Is it possible to purchase a fully refundable ticket, receive full credit toward a future flight?

Looked for other threads, this was the only one I could find.

Thanks!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: