Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

August 2016: Citi limit 1 personal card bonus per program (AA/EX/HH/TY) in 24 months.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

August 2016: Citi limit 1 personal card bonus per program (AA/EX/HH/TY) in 24 months.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2016, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by pfl5001
Is there confirmation that being an AU does not reset or change the clock on getting the bonuses again?

Example, I cancelled AA Exec last year so I should have 1 more year to go on my 24 month clock. However, I am also an AU on my Wife's card. If she cancels it today, will it also reset my 24 months or should I still be safe next year?
You'll still be safe. Being an AU does not in any way affect your eligibility for a bonus.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt LT Global Elitist, Bonvyoed LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Denied Citi Prestige Sign Up Bonus

Hi,

I signed up for a Citi Prestige Card on August 24th, using the 40,000 TYP / $4000 spend offer, before the new "24 month" rule went into effect.

I'm now being told by CitiBank that I don't qualify for an "acquisition" offer because I had applied for, and recieved, a bonus for the Citi Premier Card in Feburary of this year.

Is this accurate? I thought by applying before August 28th I was in the Clear.

Is there anything I can do to fight this?

Thanks,
Old Dec 1, 2016, 5:09 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
The restriction began to appear is offers published in early August. A blogger published an article asserting that the rule would not be enforced until a certain date, but Citi enforced the rule as written. Scroll back to review the chronology. I have merged in another report of the same outcome, at post 100.

Last edited by mia; Dec 2, 2016 at 7:01 am
Old May 24, 2017, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Downgrading in most cases with Citi counts the same as closing, for the purposes of the 24-month clock. (Downgrading is actually closing one card and opening another card in its place, and transferring the credit limit and history.)

The 24-month clock hasn't applied to TYP cards long enough (and signup bonus haven't been around consistently enough for TYP cards other the Prestige lately) for us to know whether downgrading one TYP card to another TYP card is an exception to that or not. (We do know that downgrading an AA Plat card to Double Cash resets the 24-month clock, because it reset the 18-month clock for one or more people back when the clock was 18 months.)

There are indications that downgrading to a TYP Preferred card may keep your points from expiring, but a Preferred card doesn't let you transfer.

The only card you downgrade Prestige to that would still let you transfer is the $95/year Premier card. Whether that keeps your points from expiring after 60 days, I don't think we have an datapoints on that yet.
Does anyone have a data point on whether you can downgrade a Citi Prestige card to Citi Preferred without resetting the 24 month clock on sign up bonuses for TYP cards (Prestige/Premier/Preferred)? Thanks in advance
Old May 24, 2017, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by roder
Hi,

I signed up for a Citi Prestige Card on August 24th, using the 40,000 TYP / $4000 spend offer, before the new "24 month" rule went into effect.

I'm now being told by CitiBank that I don't qualify for an "acquisition" offer because I had applied for, and recieved, a bonus for the Citi Premier Card in Feburary of this year.

Is this accurate? I thought by applying before August 28th I was in the Clear.

Is there anything I can do to fight this?

Thanks,
I believe that August 28 date was unofficial. I applied for AA gold on Aug 27 on a whim and also got nothing. Roll of the dice.
Old May 25, 2017, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dangw20
Does anyone have a data point on whether you can downgrade a Citi Prestige card to Citi Preferred without resetting the 24 month clock on sign up bonuses for TYP cards (Prestige/Premier/Preferred)? Thanks in advance
I have my doubts. We've only seen one or two datapoints of people who downgraded any Citi TYP card (Prestige or Premier) to Preferred in the first place (ie, datapoints on the downgrade itself). Unless those one or two people tested the 24 month clock, and then came back to report, I don't see where you going to get any data points. (Apparently very few people in this forum have done that downgrade to date.)

So you may have to become your own guinea pig, if you're that interested in finding out if it's possible.
Old May 27, 2017, 6:02 am

I have my doubts. We've only seen one or two datapoints of people who downgraded any Citi TYP card (Prestige or Premier) to Preferred in the first place (ie, datapoints on the downgrade itself). Unless those one or two people tested the 24 month clock, and then came back to report, I don't see where you going to get any data points. (Apparently very few people in this forum have done that downgrade to date.)

So you may have to become your own guinea pig, if you're that interested in finding out if it's possible.
Thanks, I plan on calling in a couple months when my fee hits and if they don't offer a good retention offer given all the devaluations I am going to downgrade to Preferred and see if it works.
Old May 31, 2017, 7:17 pm

Would love some insight here. Wondering if anyone had some experience with this info.

I applied for the Citi Premier on 4/23/15, and the Prestige on 6/29/15. Kept them both open because of retention offers, but now the annual fee on the Premier hit again. If I wait it out until the 24 months mark of the Prestige, would I be able to apply for another TYP card again?
Old Jun 1, 2017, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Amex For Children Of Africa
Would love some insight here. Wondering if anyone had some experience with this info.

I applied for the Citi Premier on 4/23/15, and the Prestige on 6/29/15. Kept them both open because of retention offers, but now the annual fee on the Premier hit again. If I wait it out until the 24 months mark of the Prestige, would I be able to apply for another TYP card again?
If Citi is by magic accurate with their timing calculations, perhaps.

But since Citi is well known for being sloppy with their timing calculations, 25 months plus a few days (ie, 8/1/17 or later) after 6/29/15 sounds much safer.

But alas that may require you pay another annual fee on the Prestige too, depending on the timing of the annual fee. Though if they're a month plus late on the annual fee of the Prestige, like they just seem to have been on the Premier, that may not be an issue. Worst case, you can get a possibly-prorated refund if you cancel a month after paying the second Prestige fee.

When Citi has been sloppy with their timing calculations in the past, AFAIK they've never reversed their decision because of that. People were stuck with the wrong decision. So unless you want to risk having all these annual fees go to waste, I strongly recommend you wait 25 months plus the few days it takes to have the month roll over. (No datapoints that one or two people got approved at 24 months and N days would prove that Citi can never get the timing wrong on this. Citi is random about their timing mistakes.)
Old Jun 11, 2017, 1:42 am

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Is there any reason not to think ATT is part of the TY family for the 24 month rule? Completely brain farted and forgot about the ATT while planning the next Premier or Prestige app post 24 months..
Old Jun 11, 2017, 7:20 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by frudd38
Is there any reason not to think ATT is part of the TY family for the 24 month rule?
It isn't mentioned in the terms:

Bonus ThankYou Points are not available if you have had a ThankYou Preferred, ThankYou Premier or Citi Prestige card opened or closed in the past 24 months.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 2:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
If Citi is by magic accurate with their timing calculations, perhaps.

But since Citi is well known for being sloppy with their timing calculations, 25 months plus a few days (ie, 8/1/17 or later) after 6/29/15 sounds much safer.

But alas that may require you pay another annual fee on the Prestige too, depending on the timing of the annual fee. Though if they're a month plus late on the annual fee of the Prestige, like they just seem to have been on the Premier, that may not be an issue. Worst case, you can get a possibly-prorated refund if you cancel a month after paying the second Prestige fee.

When Citi has been sloppy with their timing calculations in the past, AFAIK they've never reversed their decision because of that. People were stuck with the wrong decision. So unless you want to risk having all these annual fees go to waste, I strongly recommend you wait 25 months plus the few days it takes to have the month roll over. (No datapoints that one or two people got approved at 24 months and N days would prove that Citi can never get the timing wrong on this. Citi is random about their timing mistakes.)
Anyone have recent data points on how exact Citi is from 24 months of the last app date?

Specifically, would they check the 24 month rule at the time of new card app or when you meet the new card's bonus spend (thus forcing us to keep the first card open longer, likely into another AF past 37 days)

Last edited by frudd38; Jul 24, 2017 at 3:07 pm
Old Jul 24, 2017, 3:14 pm

Anyone have recent data points on how exact Citi is from 24 months of the last app date?

Specifically, would they check the 24 month rule at the time of new card app or when you meet the new card's bonus spend (thus forcing us to keep the first card open longer, likely into another AF past 37 days)
No data point but i recall someone saying and me thinking it was a good idea to wait after the 24th month. So if your time frame was to end on July 13th then August 1 should be fine. That way the 24th "month" has finished.

Funny note I had cycle and thought someone would find the joke in that then put period and immediately erased that after i typed it. Now it says time frame.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 3:32 pm

It is based on when you opened/closed/product changed the old card and when you apply for the new card. How exact they are with their calculation is as yet to be seen.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 2:22 pm

I am curious if "opened" means literally when you opened it, or "HAD it open". So, if I open a Prestige on Day 1, and keep it open for 2 years and 1 day, on year 2, day 2 can I get a Premier and get a signup bonus while the Prestige is still open? Or does it mean, 2 years from the last day you still had a card open/closed it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.