Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

August 2016: Citi limit 1 personal card bonus per program (AA/EX/HH/TY) in 24 months.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

August 2016: Citi limit 1 personal card bonus per program (AA/EX/HH/TY) in 24 months.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2017, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by antonius66
I am curious if "opened" means literally when you opened it, or "HAD it open". So, if I open a Prestige on Day 1, and keep it open for 2 years and 1 day, on year 2, day 2 can I get a Premier and get a signup bonus while the Prestige is still open? Or does it mean, 2 years from the last day you still had a card open/closed it?
Opened is the day it was approved. It can remain open for 24+ months and you can get a new one while the first is still open.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 9:36 am

Thank you much.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by Doctor of Credit
Update: It affects all brands (e.g American Airlines, Expedia, Hilton, Citi ThankYou Points). Can't edit title so if a mod can that would be great.

Citi TYP earning cards now read:

Previously it was on a card by card basis, now these three cards are grouped together.
I see this wording for a $1000 spend/ 15K bonus points offer on a TYP card.

This wording appears to be like the Hilton and AA cards where you could get the bonus regardless of when you last had the card.

This offer is valid for new accounts only. You must be at least 18 years of age. If you're married, you may apply for a separate account. Citibank, N.A., Sioux Falls, SD, ("Citi," "we" or "us") is the issuer of your account. Please allow 4 weeks from date of submission to process your Card Account application.

Last edited by flyer4512; Jul 27, 2017 at 3:33 pm
Old Jul 27, 2017, 3:22 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by flyer4512
...a TY card....
Do you mean ThankYou Preferred?

https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/cr...preferred-card

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...13-2016-a.html
Old Jul 27, 2017, 3:32 pm

Yes, that's the card. Is it good to go without any bonus restrictions ? Thanks
Old Jul 28, 2017, 6:53 am

I got a targeted offer for TY Premier and it has no mention of the 24 months rule. Would I qualify for this offer?
Old Jul 29, 2017, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by unnamedone
I got a targeted offer for TY Premier and it has no mention of the 24 months rule. Would I qualify for this offer?
More details needed. An email offer or a physical mailer? You've read every word (on both the offer and the application) and the number "24" isn't mentioned anywhere?

FYI: The language is not always in the same place. For example, in the past sometimes for normal online offers Citi has mentioned such language on the landing page but not the application page, and other times only on the application page but not on the landing page.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
More details needed. An email offer or a physical mailer? You've read every word (on both the offer and the application) and the number "24" isn't mentioned anywhere?

FYI: The language is not always in the same place. For example, in the past sometimes for normal online offers Citi has mentioned such language on the landing page but not the application page, and other times only on the application page but not on the landing page.
It was a mailer. The bonus is only mentioned on the envelope and a separate insert. The fine print has no mention of the bonus nor restrictions. It seems like no one knows if I would qualify or not so I applied anyway. The online app has the exact same fine print. No mention of the bonus nor 24 month limit. I guess $3k spend isn't too much to risk.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 9:21 am

Is there any way to figure out if I am eligible for the bonus outside of applying? I have an active Premier card that's currently 2+ yrs old, but in addition to that I used to have a Preferred card that Citi issued to me when the discontinued some other card I had before. Preferred card was not used for years and Citi ended up closing it ~6 month ago. Would like to understand if that made me ineligible for the bonus.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by dangw20
Does anyone have a data point on whether you can downgrade a Citi Prestige card to Citi Preferred without resetting the 24 month clock on sign up bonuses for TYP cards (Prestige/Premier/Preferred)? Thanks in advance
Originally Posted by sdsearch
I have my doubts. We've only seen one or two datapoints of people who downgraded any Citi TYP card (Prestige or Premier) to Preferred in the first place (ie, datapoints on the downgrade itself). Unless those one or two people tested the 24 month clock, and then came back to report, I don't see where you going to get any data points. (Apparently very few people in this forum have done that downgrade to date.)

So you may have to become your own guinea pig, if you're that interested in finding out if it's possible.
Originally Posted by dangw20
Thanks, I plan on calling in a couple months when my fee hits and if they don't offer a good retention offer given all the devaluations I am going to downgrade to Preferred and see if it works.
Update: Called to cancel this week and was offered the $50 credit per billing cycle for 7 cycles if you spend $1500 or more that many are reporting in this thread. So this experiment will have to wait, unless someone else gets a data point in the meantime.

I plan on applying for a ThankYou points earning card in February once I'm out of the 24 month window with Preferred, Premier, and Prestige all still open. Will be interesting to see if I am approved. Will report back then.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 5:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
I got the bonus on the premier card two years ago. Last month I product changed my Prestige card to a citi double cash. The account number for that card did not change. Normally a product change will reset the bonus clock, but I thought I read somewhere that the bonus clock will not reset if when you PC you keep the same account number. Does anyone know if this is the case?

I currently have a premier card which will pass the two year mark next month. I just product changed my prestige card to a citi double cash. When I did the PC I kept the same account number. Has anyone PCd a prestige or premier card to a double cash, kept the same account number and got another signup bonus in less than two years?

Last edited by mia; Sep 14, 2017 at 9:34 am Reason: Please do not post the same question in more than one thread or forum.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Red259
I got the bonus on the premier card two years ago. Last month I product changed my Prestige card to a citi double cash. The account number for that card did not change. Normally a product change will reset the bonus clock, but I thought I read somewhere that the bonus clock will not reset if when you PC you keep the same account number. Does anyone know if this is the case?
You might be confusing different downgrades. Downgrading from Premier to Preferred is likely to not reset the clock, because you've downgraded to another TYP card and kept the same card number.

That we do have do have successful data points on.

Downgrading to a non-TYP card is completely different. Your TYP points expire, and you're so likely to restart your clock, that few people try to test that, and so there may be no data points there from people who spelled out that kept the same number.

So are you sure you weren't just reading posts about people who downgraded to Preferred (rather than to DoubleCash) who kept the same number who didn't reset their 24-month clock?

See, if you product change a TYP card to a non-TYP card, from a program perspective, you've certainly "closed" your TYP card and opened a non-TYP card.

At any rate, the 24-month clock issues are discussed in this thread:

Last edited by sdsearch; Sep 10, 2017 at 10:48 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.