Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

August 2016: Citi limit 1 personal card bonus per program (AA/EX/HH/TY) in 24 months.

August 2016: Citi limit 1 personal card bonus per program (AA/EX/HH/TY) in 24 months.

Old Aug 25, 2016, 10:53 pm

Wife applied for a Citi Hilton Basic on 8/8 and approved, and I the Reserve on 8/7. Neither showed anything about bonuses. She got the Reserve a few months ago, this is my first Hilton. I confirmed both have a bonus through SM though and both have gotten emails reminding us we should spend for the bonus and both have the tracker enabled.

I'm good to apply for the Hilton Basic timewise, correct? My previous apps are the aforementioned Reserve on 8/7 and a Prestige on 5/24.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by corpgator
Wife applied for a Citi Hilton Basic on 8/8 and approved, and I the Reserve on 8/7. Neither showed anything about bonuses. .
The letter that arrives BEFORE the actual card mentions the bonus. It's only one line so it's easy to miss
Old Aug 27, 2016, 11:51 am

Programs: Spg Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by corpgator
Wife applied for a Citi Hilton Basic on 8/8 and approved, and I the Reserve on 8/7. Neither showed anything about bonuses. She got the Reserve a few months ago, this is my first Hilton. I confirmed both have a bonus through SM though and both have gotten emails reminding us we should spend for the bonus and both have the tracker enabled.

I'm good to apply for the Hilton Basic timewise, correct? My previous apps are the aforementioned Reserve on 8/7 and a Prestige on 5/24.
You have the tracker , you will get the bonus if you meet the spend requirement.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 10:44 pm

couldn't verify accuracy of the information you provided

I, like many others, submitted an app for Hilton Reserve before the 24th. I was asked to call at the end and I did so couple of days later. The reviewer looked at my app and denied me on the spot. I called again few days later and was told "this is final decision" and that I should wait for a letter.

Well, I got the letter and it says the following:

Unfortunately, we can't approve your application
We reviewed your application and can't approve it because we couldn't verify the accuracy of some of the information you provided.

how the hell do I fix this? It seems that recon is a no go. Oh and I've had no issue grabbing cards from other providers as of late.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 4:20 pm

Well, back luck. I applied for the Hilton Signature to beat the 8/28 deadline. I was denied but not told why and today I got the letter in the mail saying it was because I failed verification - no idea how. I called in and they applied the 1 card per type rule (I opened a Reserve at the end of July).
Old Sep 6, 2016, 12:34 pm

I have a question. I have the Prestige and Premier both due in the next two months. At this point does it make sense to go for a retention? Next year will I be able to apply for a signup bonus for either card if i already have them both open? It may not be worth paying/retaining both if I can only get the Preferred card next year.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 9:22 pm

I applied and was approved for the Hilton signature card on 8/27 - I have never had this card before, but I recently got the Hilton reserve card (July 2016). I got the card today and added it to my online profile but the bonus tracker does not show the 75K spend bonus - it only has the 1K hilton spend loyalty bonus and the 20K for status upgrade. Did anyone that applied after they new language was posted on the apps but before 8/28 see the 75K on the bonus tracker?
Old Sep 7, 2016, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by osugrad2x
I have a question. I have the Prestige and Premier both due in the next two months. At this point does it make sense to go for a retention? Next year will I be able to apply for a signup bonus for either card if i already have them both open? It may not be worth paying/retaining both if I can only get the Preferred card next year.
1. How can we know?

All we know is that by today's rules, yes, if you keep both open, you (a) will keep all the points from both alive (in case that matters to you), and (b) it will allow you to apply for another one of either and get the bonus (if any) again.

But Citi changed the rules twice in just 5 months (18-:>24 months in April, then from per card to per program in August). So what's to say that in another year they won't have changed it again (for example, to say you cannot have the card still open, or to increase 24 to 36)? No one knows, but 2 churning policy changes in 5 months does not make me confident that they're done with changes.

2. There hasn't been any signup bonus at all on the Premier in months:
So I'm not sure how you can be confident that there'll be another signup bonus in a year.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 12:23 pm

Programs: United 1k, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Stupid question, but could I theoretically apply for this Exec card, and then subsequently open a Personal Platinum Select and a Business Platinum Select? It looks like it's just either/or on the Exec vs Personal cards but some of the wording is confusing depending on which sources you read.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lavezzi
Stupid question, but could I theoretically apply for this Exec card, and then subsequently open a Personal Platinum Select and a Business Platinum Select? It looks like it's just either/or on the Exec vs Personal cards but some of the wording is confusing depending on which sources you read.
I'm confused, what sources are you talking about?

The "definitive" source is what it says on the application / landing site for the credit card offer, isn't it? So what does it say exactly on the personal Platinum Select offer you're considering? Doesn't it say you won't get the bonus if you've opened or closed any AA card other than the business card in the past 24 months? If so, that would obviously include the Exec, since it's not the business card.

The AA Exec is a personal card, the AA Gold is a personal card, and the AA Plat is a personal card.

The reason they have separate threads here on FT is because the Exec has such completely different benefits, not because the Exec is not a personal card. (In fact, it's the business card that's discussed together with personal Gold and personal Plat in the same thread, because the benefits of the business card are much more similar to the benefits of the Plat card than to the benefits of the Exec card.)

So how the cards are grouped in the FT threads has nothing to do with how Citi groups them for purposes of the 24-month rule.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 12:40 pm

Programs: United 1k, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by sdsearch
I'm confused, what sources are you talking about?

The "definitive" source is what it says on the application / landing site for the credit card offer, isn't it? So what does it say exactly on the personal Platinum Select offer you're considering? Doesn't it say you won't get the bonus if you've opened or closed any AA card other than the business card in the past 24 months? If so, that would obviously include the Exec, since it's not the business card.

The AA Exec is a personal card, the AA Gold is a personal card, and the AA Plat is a personal card.

The reason they have separate threads here on FT is because the Exec has such completely different benefits, not because the Exec is not a personal card. (In fact, it's the business card that's discussed together with personal Gold and personal Plat in the same thread, because the benefits of the business card are much more similar to the benefits of the Plat card than to the benefits of the Exec card.)

So how the cards are grouped in the FT threads has nothing to do with how Citi groups them for purposes of the 24-month rule.
It was the Exec Thread wiki that threw me off as it doesn't seem to be updated with the new Citi 24 month application wording.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NYCRuss
DoC is now reporting that the old rules will apply through August 27.
http://www.doctorofcredit.com/apply-...8th-old-terms/

It might also be possible to apply under the old rules on August 28, but the article is not clear about that.
We now have at least one report (in the Hilton 60k/75k thread) of someone applying on Aug 26 who were denied for the new rules (whereas they shouldn't have been denied under the old rules). So it now appears that Citi did not change over to the new rules on exactly the date DoC reported they might, but somewhat earlier.

This is of course of not much immediate use (since Aug 28 is long passed by now), but keep it in mind the next time you hear a rumor that Citi has some date on which they'll do something.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 8:46 pm
Suspended

We now have at least one report (in the Hilton 60k/75k thread) of someone applying on Aug 26 who were denied for the new rules (whereas they shouldn't have been denied under the old rules). So it now appears that Citi did not change over to the new rules on exactly the date DoC reported they might, but somewhat earlier.

This is of course of not much immediate use (since Aug 28 is long passed by now), but keep it in mind the next time you hear a rumor that Citi has some date on which they'll do something.
FWIW, I applied on 8/21 for a Gold card. Never had one before (so OK under the prior "no bonus if you opened or closed same card in past 24 mos" rule), but have had multiple other personal (Plat) cards opened and/or closed in the last 2 years.

Approved on 9/2; approval ltr explicitly states the bonus. So:
  • App date, not decision date, is what matters. (Nothing new there.)
  • New stricter policy wasn't yet in effect as of 8/21.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 4:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by beltway
FWIW, I applied on 8/21 for a Gold card. Never had one before (so OK under the prior "no bonus if you opened or closed same card in past 24 mos" rule), but have had multiple other personal (Plat) cards opened and/or closed in the last 2 years.

Approved on 9/2; approval ltr explicitly states the bonus. So:
  • App date, not decision date, is what matters. (Nothing new there.)
  • New stricter policy wasn't yet in effect as of 8/21.
Followup: DW, whose previous AA Gold card was closed > 24 months earlier, applied for a new Gold card on 8/24. Opened latest Citi AA Plat card earlier this year.

Result: denied. Letter in the mail, but my money is on "card-family restriction had gone into effect by 8/24." Rats.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 9:06 pm

1. How can we know?

All we know is that by today's rules, yes, if you keep both open, you (a) will keep all the points from both alive (in case that matters to you), and (b) it will allow you to apply for another one of either and get the bonus (if any) again.

But Citi changed the rules twice in just 5 months (18-:>24 months in April, then from per card to per program in August). So what's to say that in another year they won't have changed it again (for example, to say you cannot have the card still open, or to increase 24 to 36)? No one knows, but 2 churning policy changes in 5 months does not make me confident that they're done with changes.

2. There hasn't been any signup bonus at all on the Premier in months:
So I'm not sure how you can be confident that there'll be another signup bonus in a year.
Well not confident at all, more hopelessly optimistic. Basically I would sign up for any card that has a bonus. But yeah two changes in 5 months is making me reconsider this strategy because the next logical move would be to not allow you to apply if you have it open. Also I would have to keep them both open to not risk the clock resetting.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.