Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

August 2016: Citi limit 1 personal card bonus per program (AA/EX/HH/TY) in 24 months.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

August 2016: Citi limit 1 personal card bonus per program (AA/EX/HH/TY) in 24 months.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2016, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by nineworldseries
Well, got the letter in the mail today confirming the bonus on the 40k Platinum. Opened Gold AA 9/2015 and closed 4/2016.
Awesome, thanks for the followup.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 9:23 pm

just closed my ty card today. am i too late to get a new one before the 24 month rule goes into effect?
Old Aug 24, 2016, 10:11 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by edubsmann
just closed my ty card today.
What is the name of the card you closed and of the card for which you would apply?
Old Aug 24, 2016, 12:39 pm

There have been some rumors about major changes to Citi cards coming at the end of this week. I'm assuming those changes probably won't be for the better...
Old Aug 24, 2016, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by mia
What is the name of the card you closed and of the card for which you would apply?
i closed thank you card and want to apply for the same one again
Old Aug 24, 2016, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eh9
Thanks ya I agree. It's hard though with the same category rule affecting applications supposedly around 8/28 it may be a matter of applying and chancing missing the bonus or waiting another ~1.5yrs since last app of same category
And the big reason to pad: Citi is notorious for counting time inaccurately. Their stated rule is "no more than 2 applications in any 60 day period", but you hear it being called the 65-day rule by everyone on FlyerTalk because Citi has denied people for that specific reason when they had waited 62 or even 63 days since their next-to-last application!

And if they're known to count time in accurately in one case, why would you trust them to count time accurately in another case?

In my case, I waited 25.5 months since closing my last Citi AA Gold card before applying this month, and I did get the mention of the bonus in the approval letter and I do have the bonus progress tracker online when I go to my account and then "view AA miles", so that was clearly enough.

(The reason I chose 25.5 months; I had closed my previous Gold card in the middle of the June 2014, so in case they counted calendar months, I wanted to have 25 full calendar months in between, and so waited until it became August 2016 to apply.)

I'm not saying you necessarily have to wait quite that long, but lacking a lot of datapoints about attempts to do it at 24.1, 24.2, 24.3, etc, etc, I'd err on the side of caution.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by edubsmann
i closed thank you card and want to apply for the same one again
You're not answering the question.

There are many different Thank You cards:
Thank You Prestige
Thank You Premier
Thank You Preffered
AT&T Access More
AT&T Universal

etc

So which exact Thank You card did you close, and which exact Thank You card do you want to apply for now?

Unfortunately, to know if you can apply for the very same exact one, you would need to be sure that the exact link you're going to use stated no "24 month" wording before August 11. If it had any "24 month" wording before August 11, you can't use it. (But in most cases, I don't know how you'd figure out now what the wording was before August 11, if you didn't make a printout before then.)

The only safe thing to do, if you don't know that, is to apply for a different kind of Thank You card than you either opened or closed in the past 24 (or 25) months. That's because I bet most offers already said "24 months since opening or closing this specific kind of card" before August 11, and since then changed that to "24 months since opening or closing any Thank You card". But the exemption until August 28 is only against the post-August-11 language, it does exempt you against any pre-Auguest-11 language.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 5:21 am

It seems like I can only apply for one Citi card before August 28th when the new rule becomes effective.

I have a Citi Hilton Reserve card which I applied on August 25, 2014 and it is still open.

My data shows I applied on August 25, 2016 and APPROVAL email on August 26th, 2014. Which date do I use for the 24 month rule?

Will I be safe to apply on August 27, 2016?

I have not applied for any Citi cards for the last 7 months.

Also, I have never had the AMEX Hilton Surpass card before. Can I apply for both Amex Hilton Surpass and Cit Hilton Reserve cards?

TIA

Last edited by metoo; Aug 25, 2016 at 5:40 am
Old Aug 25, 2016, 8:18 am

Can I apply for both Amex Hilton Surpass and Cit Hilton Reserve cards?
Yes.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 10:15 am

This may sound like a dumb question, but if Citi closes the account due to inactivity, is that counted the same way under the new rules as if I had closed the account myself thus meaning I'm going to have to wait 24 months after? I ask because I had opened one of the HHonors credit cards in 2013, but it was closed in December of 2015 because of inactivity. I'm just trying to decide what I want to try to open before the new rules apply.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by PumpkinSmasher
This may sound like a dumb question, but if Citi closes the account due to inactivity, is that counted the same way under the new rules as if I had closed the account myself thus meaning I'm going to have to wait 24 months after?
Yes.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 11:11 am

Just put on your calendar every 6 months: "buy $1 amazon gift card with Citi XYZ" and they'll never close your account.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by metoo
It seems like I can only apply for one Citi card before August 28th when the new rule becomes effective.

I have a Citi Hilton Reserve card which I applied on August 25, 2014 and it is still open.

My data shows I applied on August 25, 2016 and APPROVAL email on August 26th, 2014. Which date do I use for the 24 month rule?

Also, I have never had the AMEX Hilton Surpass card before. Can I apply for both Amex Hilton Surpass and Cit Hilton Reserve cards?

TIA
You haven't gotten an answer yet, because there's no good answer to your question, unfortunately. See the post 2 above yours about Citi being bad at math. Supposedly, yes, you should be ok. Realistically, there's no real way to know without trying.

Then again, if you haven't opened or closed another Citi Hilton card besides that Reserve in the past 2 years, you should be ok to wait a month or so before applying again. The 8/28 deadline wouldn't affect you. Just don't close your current card before your next application.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by metoo

When's the last time you opened or closed the Citi no-annual-fee (non-Reserve) Hilton Visa card? If well more than 24 months (or never), that would be safer to apply for today, than to wait until Aug 27 to apply again for the Reserve. Because, as already mentioned, Citi is notorious for counting wrong, plus not explaining themselves clearly, and they may mean 24 "full calednar" months, in which case 24 "full calendar months" after August 26. 2014 wouldn't be until September 1, 2016. Or they may mean 24.49 months, in which case it would be mid-September.

Remember, 24 months for the same card is not overridden by applying before Aug 28. Only 24 months for a different card in the same program (in the case Hilton) is overridden. But that only works if you apply for the non-Reserve Hilton card and if you didn't open or close the non-Reserve Hilton card in the past 24 or hopefully 25 months.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 5:13 pm

I guess I am out of luck. I have another Citi Hilton card opened September 2014

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.