Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

August 2016: Citi limit 1 personal card bonus per program (AA/EX/HH/TY) in 24 months.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

August 2016: Citi limit 1 personal card bonus per program (AA/EX/HH/TY) in 24 months.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2016, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moretimeoffguy
Way way back, believe it was 18 months after applying for.
Not so far back. Citi went from 18 months on a per-card-type basis, to 24 months on a per-card-type basis, now to 24 months on a per-card-program basis, all in less than 5 months. (The first 24 month language was noticed in early April of this year, by late April it had extended just about everywhere.)

Which begs the question: How more changes will Citi make before 24 months from now?

Remember, this isn't a policy that looks forwards, this is a policy that looks backwards. So just because it says "24 months" and per-category now doesn't mean that 24 or 25 months from now it'll say the same thing.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Not so far back. Citi went from 18 months on a per-card-type basis, to 24 months on a per-card-type basis, now to 24 months on a per-card-program basis, all in less than 5 months. (The first 24 month language was noticed in early April of this year, by late April it had extended just about everywhere.)

Which begs the question: How more changes will Citi make before 24 months from now?

Remember, this isn't a policy that looks forwards, this is a policy that looks backwards. So just because it says "24 months" and per-category now doesn't mean that 24 or 25 months from now it'll say the same thing.
Damn. Thanks for correction. That's a lot of change in short order! And certainly, no one has a CC policy change crystal ball. Well, good luck to those pulling the trigger under present circumstances.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 1:49 pm

For whatever it's worth, which I know isn't much given that Citi customer service reps are notorious for giving bad information, I was just approved for a Prestige card and the rep, who clearly had my other account information in front of her because she mentioned that I can link my online account to my Premier and AAdvantage cards, told me unprompted that I was eligible for the 40,000 point bonus.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by eclare
For whatever it's worth, which I know isn't much given that Citi customer service reps are notorious for giving bad information, I was just approved for a Prestige card and the rep, who clearly had my other account information in front of her because she mentioned that I can link my online account to my Premier and AAdvantage cards, told me unprompted that I was eligible for the 40,000 point bonus.
I'm gonna guess the system showed it, so you're good to go.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 2:11 pm

How long did you have the Premier open?
Old Aug 17, 2016, 2:40 pm

Programs: PetCo Pals Rewards
I stopped by a branch to apply for the Prestige card yesterday. They had the 50K with 5K spend offer. It said bonus was available to customers who had not had the prestige card opened or closed in the past 24 months, no mention of the premier card.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 5:56 pm

It's such weird wording. It doesn't say anything about currently open cards. I have a Citi Hilton Reserve, with no plans to cancel. The annual free night for $10k spend works for me. I am planning on applying for the Hilton Signature Visa if I am approved for the Chase Sapphire Reserve on Sunday. If not, I don't want to go over Chase's 5/24, so I'll skip the Citi card too.

I have not opened or closed my Reserve in the past 24 months. It is still open, but neither of those things have happened. Very weird that closing it would make me ineligible for a bonus from a different card.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 7:02 pm

Programs: AS MVP, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Datapoint - Just applied for Citi AA Gold card. Agent verified bonus without prompting after previously mentioning "all the other" cards I had with them. Last AA card was the platinum which I opened about 12 months ago. Currently have 2 platinums open.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by penner42
It's such weird wording. It doesn't say anything about currently open cards. I have a Citi Hilton Reserve, with no plans to cancel. The annual free night for $10k spend works for me. I am planning on applying for the Hilton Signature Visa if I am approved for the Chase Sapphire Reserve on Sunday. If not, I don't want to go over Chase's 5/24, so I'll skip the Citi card too.

I have not opened or closed my Reserve in the past 24 months. It is still open, but neither of those things have happened. Very weird that closing it would make me ineligible for a bonus from a different card.
Yes, it's weird, but at least it's documented by the bank, as opposed to Chase's 5/24.

And it means that the only good time to close a card is when you've just been approved for (or just activated) a related card, since that means the most recent open date and most recent close date will be about the same. Any other time is not a good time to close a Citi card.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 7:18 pm

Yes, it's weird, but at least it's documented by the bank, as opposed to Chase's 5/24.

And it means that the only good time to close a card is when you've just been approved for a related card, since that means the most recent open date and most recent close date will be about the same. Any other time is not a good time to close a Citi card.
Yeah. I just called to have them convert my AA Amex to a Citi Double Cash. I'd keep the Citi one and cancel my Barclays instead, but it gets the grandfathered annual 10k miles from the old US Airways card. Oh well. I have a lot of AA miles so it'll probably be 2+ years before I need any more.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 10:54 am

And it means that the only good time to close a card is when you've just been approved for (or just activated) a related card, since that means the most recent open date and most recent close date will be about the same. Any other time is not a good time to close a Citi card.
I sorta just realized the logic behind it. If I get, say, an AA card for the signup bonus, I have to wait two years to get another. Makes sense. But then if I cancel it after the first year so I don't have to pay the annual fee, it pushes my next signup bonus back a year. So the decision to made is: Pay the annual fee an extra year or get the next signup bonus a year later.

It's actually pretty smart. In that case, I'd probably pay almost any sub-$100 annual fee for another year.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 11:13 am

So I'm assuming the Prestige offers will be changed to reflect the new policy fairly soon in branches.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by CNMAZ
How long did you have the Premier open?
I opened the Premier in May and received a 40,000 point bonus.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 7:32 am

Here's another data point that suggests good news. Received my confirmation letter today, with bonus language. Says nothing at all about the new restrictions. I won't be fully convinced until the points are in my account, but so far it looks like there's still a window for getting the bonus.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Here's another data point that suggests good news. Received my confirmation letter today, with bonus language. Says nothing at all about the new restrictions. I won't be fully convinced until the points are in my account, but so far it looks like there's still a window for getting the bonus.
I apped for the 40k AA Plat today and got a verbal confirmation of the bonus from the rep over the phone. I'm starting to believe that DoC is accurate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.