Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Prestige benefit and reward changes effective July 23, 2017

Old Jul 25, 2016, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oopl
7/16: New changes that will take effect on 7/23.
  • 4th night free bookable online at thankyou.com (benefit applied as discount at checkout)
  • Cash out TY at 1 cpp
  • metal card
  • 75,000 TY for $7,500 spend signup bonus

1. The following benefits will be changed effective July 23, 2017:

- Loss of AA Admirals Club Access (Effectively immediately if the account is opened on or after 09/01/2016. See Post 296.

- $0.0125 per each TY points for airfare redemptions at thankyou.com.

- Loss of Complimentary International & Domestic Golf

- 4th Night benefit will be based on the average nightly rate of your complete stay for reservations made on or after July 23, 2017. Taxes will no longer be included within the statement credit.

2. $100 Annual Fee Reduction will be extended to Citi Priority if you are currently a Citigold client and you are impacted by the increase in minimum balance and downgrade.
Print Wikipost

Citi Prestige benefit and reward changes effective July 23, 2017

Old Jul 3, 2017, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA LP pleb, QR Plat., Bonvoy Ti, IHG Diamond Amb, Foolish Hoarder of Miles, Fid. Def.
Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
I've not tried it myself, but I've been told on FT that refunds would be in TYPs. Also, I did recently needed to make a change on AA flights paid with TYPs, due to AA rescheduling, and had to use the TYP Concierge to do so.

If anyone has gotten it to work the way you suggest, I too would like to hear about it, and I'm sure others would, too.
I haven't tried it, but I'm quite confident this wouldn't work, reason being that AA will only refund to original form of payment... which in this case is Connexions Travel's credit card, not one's own CP. Best case scenario is that the refund is processed and points are restored at a 1.25˘/pt buyback rate, but I have to think Citi has anticipated that eventuality and will guard against such shenanigans.

Also, booking a fare you have no intention of flying is a great way to get in hot water with AA. Bottom line: I'd recommend playing it straight. Can't beat the house at this game.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 6:50 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by Nick92
Rep said announcement comes July 17th, and will feature a new metal card plus other positive changes. If you login, it prompts you to review the changes to the benefits but the page fails to load. So maybe the site will launch sooner.
The Prestige would look pretty awesome in metal, I think. Citi's reps don't know squat 90% of the time, so I wouldn't hold my breath while waiting for "positive changes" that the rep probably has no clue about since they likely 1) Don't have the card 2) Don't travel and if they do #2 , don't use credit card points to travel.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 7:49 am

I would normally agree but someone on Reddit posted that they were told July 17th. I spoke with a rep that was reading off something that specifically said July 17th is the announcement of enhancements to Citi Prestige including a premium metal card. That's all she could reveal.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 10:21 am

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by NavSTL
I haven't tried it, but I'm quite confident this wouldn't work, reason being that AA will only refund to original form of payment... which in this case is Connexions Travel's credit card, not one's own CP. Best case scenario is that the refund is processed and points are restored at a 1.25˘/pt buyback rate, but I have to think Citi has anticipated that eventuality and will guard against such shenanigans.

Also, booking a fare you have no intention of flying is a great way to get in hot water with AA. Bottom line: I'd recommend playing it straight. Can't beat the house at this game.
Sure. I would not buy with no intention of flying. But I am moving away from TYPs for obvious reasons, so if I did need to cancel for some legitimate reason, $ would be preferred.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 1:05 pm

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
Originally Posted by rxgeek
I'm sure lots of us are in the same situation of having TYPs but no immediate plans for an AA flight. How can I preserve the max value of these points on AA before the devaluation? In my mind, the ideal scenario would be to buy a fully refundable ticket with TYPs and get a cash refund from AA although that may be wishful thinking. My searches on FT and blogs came up empty.
I'm in the same boat. I tried a refundable ticket but it shows as a consolidator fare to AA, so they are unable to change. Anyone have a workaround?
Old Jul 7, 2017, 10:06 am

Credit /u/modernloves

https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/comments/6jbaq7/new_updates_to_citi_prestige_coming_july_17/djqleeq/

Comprehensive list of benefit changes:
  • Acquisition bonus shifting to 40K points for $4K spend in first 3 months (was 50K points)
  • Removing AA Admiral's Club Access
  • Modified 4NF to average rate, based on pre-tax totals
  • Allowance to book 4NF with TYP (fully vested points OR combination); however, more limited access to certain rates / benefits- corporate, group, etc, would not be available through TYP portal, and loyalty numbers cannot be added until arrival at hotel. 4NF paid with TYP will be discounted, NOT reconciled after the fact like a cash reservation.
  • Removing complimentary rounds of golf
  • Flight redemption (both AA and non-AA) modified to 25% bonus, compared to 60%/33% bonus previously
  • Cash redemption increased to 1 point = 1 cent (aka 10,000 TYP = 100.00 cash / 100.00 gift card)
  • Complimentary ShopRunner membership
  • Roll-out of metal card over the next 12 months
Old Jul 7, 2017, 11:35 am

Disappointing. I called yesterday and did not get a retention offer. Was going to hold off til I heard of the new "benefits". Only paying $350/year, but still not worth it.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 11:56 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Thank you for the information.

I guess I really don't see the point in them making the cash redemption value at 1TYP = 1 cent since it's supposed to be a travel card, but I guess adding value isn't ever a bad thing. Adding Shop Runner isn't a terrible perk either, but AMEX already offers that with cheaper cards, or even free ones for that matter.

Perhaps they should increase the quality of their customer service instead.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Huh. I don't see any good news at all. Am I missing something?
Old Jul 7, 2017, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
But all of those were known removal of benefits.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 12:39 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by ralphs
Originally Posted by hiima
But all of those were known removal of benefits.
The ability to book some variant of Fourth Night Free hotel stays online and (part) pay with ThankYou points is new. This was hinted at in the terms, but never implemented.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by Upgrademe731
Disappointing. I called yesterday and did not get a retention offer. Was going to hold off til I heard of the new "benefits". Only paying $350/year, but still not worth it.
It is especially disappointing that Prestige doesn't at least match the Premier's more expansive travel category. Also I thought Citi would move Dining to 3x.

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
Thank you for the information.

I guess I really don't see the point in them making the cash redemption value at 1TYP = 1 cent since it's supposed to be a travel card, but I guess adding value isn't ever a bad thing. Adding Shop Runner isn't a terrible perk either, but AMEX already offers that with cheaper cards, or even free ones for that matter.

Perhaps they should increase the quality of their customer service instead.
I get SR for free so this wasn't as exciting either. The best "perk" is probably the new metal card. Nothing else really appeals to me.

Originally Posted by ralphs
ShopRunner? lol
Old Jul 7, 2017, 2:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Good grief.

Salvage plan:
  1. Cancel spouse's Prestige when it comes up soon.
  2. Commit myself to a trip or two in Fall so that I can use up TYPs on AA at 1.6cents
  3. Hold onto my Prestige for Fourth Night Free unless I cease being grandfathered into the $350/yr AF, because at $450/yr no longer sure it is worth the aggravation.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 3:29 pm

So they took away the best parts and gave us a metal card as a pittance. That about sums it up?
Old Jul 7, 2017, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Allowance to book 4NF with TYP (fully vested points OR combination); however, more limited access to certain rates / benefits- corporate, group, etc, would not be available through TYP portal, and loyalty numbers cannot be added until arrival at hotel. 4NF paid with TYP will be discounted, NOT reconciled after the fact like a cash reservation.
What a pain in the a**. I hope they aren't going to be forcing into consolidator rates where you don't earn points.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.