Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Prestige benefit and reward changes effective July 23, 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 25, 2016, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oopl
7/16: New changes that will take effect on 7/23.
  • 4th night free bookable online at thankyou.com (benefit applied as discount at checkout)
  • Cash out TY at 1 cpp
  • metal card
  • 75,000 TY for $7,500 spend signup bonus

1. The following benefits will be changed effective July 23, 2017:

- Loss of AA Admirals Club Access (Effectively immediately if the account is opened on or after 09/01/2016. See Post 296.

- $0.0125 per each TY points for airfare redemptions at thankyou.com.

- Loss of Complimentary International & Domestic Golf

- 4th Night benefit will be based on the average nightly rate of your complete stay for reservations made on or after July 23, 2017. Taxes will no longer be included within the statement credit.

2. $100 Annual Fee Reduction will be extended to Citi Priority if you are currently a Citigold client and you are impacted by the increase in minimum balance and downgrade.
Print Wikipost

Citi Prestige benefit and reward changes effective July 23, 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2016, 8:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Exactly.

Most of us who are bemoaning the loss of this or that benefit (I'm in the 1.6x and Admirals Club moaners' camp) are comparing what we will get starting a year from now with what we have been getting.

You, not unreasonably, are comparing what you will be getting with what the card costs.

Three provisos:
  1. You will have to have >$250 air charges in each year. You can't buy a $500 ticket in 2016 and collect a second $250 on it in 2017.
  2. The dating of a year depends on your last 2016 statement date. Say it is the 5th of the month. Then whatever you plan to get reimbursed on in 2016 must POST (not be charged, in the process of ticketing, pending, etc.) on or prior to 5 December 2016. Something that posted 10 December 2016 would count against your 2017 purchases.
  3. This trick only works the first year. Next July or whenever, if you pay the $450, you can only offset $250 in 2018. With the disappearance of some of the benefits, you will have to decide if Priority Pass for multiple folks, the 4th night free benefit, and 1.2 cents a TYP when applied to airfare will be worth the $200 net.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 12:18 am

Programs: AA
Is the 1.6 to 1.25 happening immediately or is it happening next July? I thought it was immediate but noticed the wiki that says 2017.

With the points to purchase on AA flights going down to 1.25, do you guys think it's more beneficial to bank AA miles rather than TYP? I also have the Barclays Aviator Silver card which I use to bank 10,000 EQM every year by spend but once I meet that threshold, I've been using the Prestige card for the rest of the year. I've been redeeming AA miles for domestic economy tickets (usually 25000 miles round trip). So the way I calculate it, it would still be beneficial to use the TYP portal to book airfares up to $312 (25000 TYP x 0.0125) rather than with 25,000 AA miles (especially since you can earn EQMs when you purchase the ticket). I know this logic is not completely sound because of variables such as 3x, 2x categories for different cards but I think it's pretty close.

Anyone else have other thoughts?
Old Jul 27, 2016, 4:35 am

Programs: US Chairman's Preferred
Geez, I am the kiss of death. I just obtained this card 10 days ago, because I liked the Admirals Club access, 1.6 AA flights and free golf. I guess I will enjoy it for a year, then look for a better option in July of 2017.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by finster869
Geez, I am the kiss of death. I just obtained this card 10 days ago, because I liked the Admirals Club access, 1.6 AA flights and free golf. I guess I will enjoy it for a year, then look for a better option in July of 2017.
I am glad you were the kiss of death and not me

I opened this card at 6 AM the very day the first post about possible changes showed up on Doctor of Credit's site, which I then read about an hour or so after applying. So, I had thought I was the kiss of death.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 8:24 am

Can anyone tell me if AA GC are still considered as valid purchase for $250 x 2 reimbursement? I saw other threads and posts but not sure if anything changed in the last month or so.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 9:19 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by meinhoonna
Can anyone tell me if AA GC are still considered as valid purchase for $250 x 2 reimbursement? I saw other threads and posts but not sure if anything changed in the last month or so.
Yes, pretty much anything travel purchased from an airline is covered.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 9:58 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Ambassador
Count me in the 1.6 and AC club. I'm a DL Diamond flyer but they usually suck for awards other than Intl J, and don't get my brood free into Skyclub, so used this for family vacations. Was perfect. Cheap and available tix and everybody into the AC. PP useless to me and available on other cards. Still not a bad card, but seems likely there will be better ones. At least will have a year before going bye-bye. Can't really complain, Citi is a business and these benefits were over the top.

Would probably be easier to swallow if it didn't come on the heels of the sh** show with Costco card and retention dept. disappearing.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 10:06 am

Anything from Citi today? Today's the day of the announcement.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 12:16 pm

Have they posted the PDF of the change yet?
Old Jul 27, 2016, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
Exactly.

Most of us who are bemoaning the loss of this or that benefit (I'm in the 1.6x and Admirals Club moaners' camp) are comparing what we will get starting a year from now with what we have been getting.

You, not unreasonably, are comparing what you will be getting with what the card costs.

Three provisos:
  1. You will have to have >$250 air charges in each year. You can't buy a $500 ticket in 2016 and collect a second $250 on it in 2017.
  2. The dating of a year depends on your last 2016 statement date. Say it is the 5th of the month. Then whatever you plan to get reimbursed on in 2016 must POST (not be charged, in the process of ticketing, pending, etc.) on or prior to 5 December 2016. Something that posted 10 December 2016 would count against your 2017 purchases.
  3. This trick only works the first year. Next July or whenever, if you pay the $450, you can only offset $250 in 2018. With the disappearance of some of the benefits, you will have to decide if Priority Pass for multiple folks, the 4th night free benefit, and 1.2 cents a TYP when applied to airfare will be worth the $200 net.
Ok I think I understand the billing cycle, let's say the worst case is I don't need to buy an air ticket by Dec 5; I assume I can purchase $250 worth of AA 500 mile upgrades which I think never expire.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 4:41 pm

Programs: Amex,Citi
Losing the Admirals Club access is a big hit for me, most of the airports have no PP lounges, Admirals Club was the only option.

Not sure if I will drop the card in 2017, or just stop flying AA.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by ChicagoKev
Not sure if I will drop the card in 2017, or just stop flying AA.
I do think AA (and other airlines in similar situations in the past) have been short sighted in things like this, having the lounge access makes me more likely to fly AA, without it, I might as well fly DL where I have access with the Amex Plt or another random airline.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by kmandrew
I also just got the card a couple of weeks ago so still figuring things out. Don't we get a $250 air statement credit now and $250 again in January so as long as we spend $500 on air travel the AF is covered?
It is for the first year but not after that. I was anticipating holding the card long term. You can only "double dip" once (unless you get a new card). So after that it is net $200 dollars for PP club access and fourth night "free" in whatever incarnation it takes on next July. That is still a decent deal if you can get a couple of free nights but the value proposition is a lot less than it was.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 7:46 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
I just changed from the Exec card to this card for two reasons: It saves $250 for the AC and you can use these points whereas saver awards are pretty useless. To me this is a defensive move to salvage the Exec card which has no real reason to exist with the old benefits on this card.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 8:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by abk
I just changed from the Exec card to this card for two reasons: It saves $250 for the AC and you can use these points whereas saver awards are pretty useless. To me this is a defensive move to salvage the Exec card which has no real reason to exist with the old benefits on this card.
Ding, ding, ding we have a winner!

Regards

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.