Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Prestige benefit and reward changes effective July 23, 2017

Citi Prestige benefit and reward changes effective July 23, 2017

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 16, 17, 5:50 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: oopl
Wiki Link
7/16: New changes that will take effect on 7/23.
  • 4th night free bookable online at thankyou.com (benefit applied as discount at checkout)
  • Cash out TY at 1 cpp
  • metal card
  • 75,000 TY for $7,500 spend signup bonus

1. The following benefits will be changed effective July 23, 2017:

- Loss of AA Admirals Club Access (Effectively immediately if the account is opened on or after 09/01/2016. See Post 296.

- $0.0125 per each TY points for airfare redemptions at thankyou.com.

- Loss of Complimentary International & Domestic Golf

- 4th Night benefit will be based on the average nightly rate of your complete stay for reservations made on or after July 23, 2017. Taxes will no longer be included within the statement credit.

2. $100 Annual Fee Reduction will be extended to Citi Priority if you are currently a Citigold client and you are impacted by the increase in minimum balance and downgrade.
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 22, 16, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
does citi have a history of devalueing with no notice? Wondering if I should spend my hoard of TYP before next week. I really didn't want to book my upcoming trips for Nov/Dec till Sep, but maybe I should.
Old Jul 22, 16, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, WoH Glob, HHonors (faux) Diamond
Originally Posted by ellinj View Post
does citi have a history of devalueing with no notice? Wondering if I should spend my hoard of TYP before next week. I really didn't want to book my upcoming trips for Nov/Dec till Sep, but maybe I should.
Me and you both ... man, I wish I knew the answer to this question ... between spouse and self I am sitting on >250K TYPs, which means that a drop from 1.6x to 1.33x would be a >$400 loss. When I get a grip, I have to ask myself whether I would be buying tickets that would get $400 cheaper if I stalked them in my usual manner.

I guess it's like balancing stocks and bonds. I'll probably hedge and unload 100K this weekend (if it's not too late!)
Old Jul 22, 16, 3:40 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Ex-UA Gold, Ex-AA Gold , Ex-SPG Gold, Peon everywhere else
This was the reason I decided to contact citi through a chat this morning and try get a definitive answer on whether my points would be worth the same, less, or more for AA redemptions after implementing the new "benefits" change next week. All I got was this is what they are worth right now. Now I may have to redeem all my points even though that was not what I had planned.
Old Jul 22, 16, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by Biggie Fries View Post
Me and you both ... man, I wish I knew the answer to this question ... between spouse and self I am sitting on >250K TYPs, which means that a drop from 1.6x to 1.33x would be a >$400 loss. When I get a grip, I have to ask myself whether I would be buying tickets that would get $400 cheaper if I stalked them in my usual manner.

I guess it's like balancing stocks and bonds. I'll probably hedge and unload 100K this weekend (if it's not too late!)
The ThankYou travel portal still advertises and calculates with 1.6x for AA flights.
Old Jul 22, 16, 6:51 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
http://milestomemories.boardingarea....-more-changes/
Old Jul 22, 16, 6:54 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
does citi have a history of devaluing with no notice?
No, but I would not want to predict if existing cardholders will receive a month, a quarter or a full year's notice.
Old Jul 22, 16, 7:03 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
I knew that I wouldn't be flying AA this year and have only one flight, an award flight, booked for next year. Therefore, I downgraded to the Premier Card back in February. It now appears that I will not be upgrading back to the Prestige for the foreseeable future. If I ever again fly AA often enough to require AC membership, I'll consider the Exec Card. FWIW, Citi should try to get AA as a transfer partner.

Last edited by eajusa; Jul 22, 16 at 7:14 pm
Old Jul 22, 16, 8:21 pm

July 2017? Plenty of time for me to run this card and it's bennies into the ground just before the AF hits.

Still a shame...

Last edited by Jpr0930; Jul 22, 16 at 8:38 pm
Old Jul 22, 16, 10:43 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, WoH Glob, HHonors (faux) Diamond
Question Everything still good through July 2017? Really?

I do not mean to be a nervous Nelly, a wet blanket, etc.

And, yes, I can read. I have read this thread. I have read Miles to Memories' blog posting. I have read the Facebook page alluded to there, including all of the comments.

Also, I do believe and accept that the enumerated features of the card will change and/or go away.

But, with the exception of the access to AA Admirals Clubs, do we really know that the disappearance/change date is 27 July 2017?

When I push through the various Benefit links for the AA Admirals Club, it tells me in no uncertain terms that this benefit goes "poof" after 27 July 2017.

However, I am still offered golf, I can still buy AA flights at 1.6 cents per TYP, and there is nothing in the 4th night free offer (including the FAQ *.pdf) mentioning taxes, averaging, and so on.

This is wonderful... today. But the fact that there is no mention of their termination, on 27 July 2017 or any other date, makes me concerned that more shoes could drop here. By which I mean different dates for the disappearance of these benefits.

If someone has some information other than what I have read above, I would love to have it!
Old Jul 22, 16, 11:23 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, WN, SPG Gold, Choice Platinum, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Club Carlson Gold
n

I don't think there is firm information yet. Miles to Memories seems to have jumped ahead of the curve here. An absence of information, especially as difficult as it is currently to access information about Prestige benefits that we have known through FT were available, does not equate to certainty that all of the benefits he's listed will disappear.

I think there was a feeling that the Prestige was too good to be true. Admirals' Club access (although not membership) was almost worth the price of the card alone. The $250 reimbursement for airline costs, which seemed to cover anything (including, possibly, a $250 offset against Admirals' Club memberships or the purchase of day passes). The fourth night free--when the fourth night meant literally the fourth night, no matter how expensive that might be in comparison with the other three nights. The three free rounds of golf--not valuable to everyone, but to golfers, a benefit that could be made of outsize value. The 1.6 cent value for AA.

On a card with a $450 annual fee, that was a lot of value. Some of that stuff had to go away, and there shouldn't be much surprise that the Admirals' Club benefit would be the first to go given the Exec card's benefit. Lots of folks would have avoided the Exec card based on that (I have both and was debating what to do with the Exec since other than club membership, I don't see a compelling reason for the card after meeting the initial spend bonus if the Prestige would offer access).

Although the alteration to the fourth night free terms is a loss for customers, I think it's a realistic change, but the wholesale change to the remainder of the benefits Miles and More is speculating about--as of yet, no other BA blogger, including some with more Citi bona fides than M&M, has gone down this path--would so obviously lead to many more folks dumping the card that I can't imagine why Citi would think they could continue to charge an annual fee of $450.
Old Jul 22, 16, 11:30 pm

I dont get the logic here, at all.

Blogs have been pumping this card heavily.

So now you have a whole bunch of people who signed up, get $500 worth of air credit, get the $100 global entry reimbursement, and got 50,000 points.

And then you give them all an incentive to cancel at the 1 year mark rather than stick around and pay a second $450 fee...????

Im completely baffled.

I think the 4th night free being an average makes perfect sense. But remove everything else and you have a $99 card trying to charge a $450 fee.
Old Jul 23, 16, 12:30 am

I am most baffled about speculations being thrown around the web, which are causing undue worries and panic.

So far, we have 2 confirmed facts (with sources cited from Citi):
1. AA access while flying AA will no longer be complimentary as of July 23, 2017.
2. Lower sign-up bonus with higher spend requirement.

One comment on Facebook (without source), and almost everyone is panicking?

Take it easy!
Old Jul 23, 16, 12:51 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by jamesinclair View Post
I dont get the logic here, at all.

So now you have a whole bunch of people who signed up, get $500 worth of air credit, get the $100 global entry reimbursement, and got 50,000 points.

And then you give them all an incentive to cancel at the 1 year mark rather than stick around and pay a second $450 fee...????

Im completely baffled.

I think the 4th night free being an average makes perfect sense. But remove everything else and you have a $99 card trying to charge a $450 fee.

I was very disappointed when I heard of the news that the admirals club access is being dropped. Thought about it more and decided that because it still has the best priority pass access and 250 air credit, I am willing to keep the card as long as the fee comes down. Even if AA redemption drops further. Would I keep it at an annual fee of 450? Probably not but I think the card is still worth more than $99. I would probably pay $250-300 a year to keep this card
Old Jul 23, 16, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries View Post
If someone has some information other than what I have read above, I would love to have it!
Originally Posted by lwildernorva View Post
I don't think there is firm information yet.
Consider it is a firm information.

For some unknown reasons, Citi has decided to screw as many customers as it can since last year. Its products are practically a messy situation. In many instances, many concerned customers have obtained the updated information way earlier than frontline employees. What makes this worse is the new information is not even available yet (A classic example is the increased requirement for Citigold and the downgrade to Citi Priority).

So when you read Citi's website and discover that the benefit is no longer mentioned, you can consider that benefit is gone for good.

Frontline employees are as puzzled as you are.

Originally Posted by jamesinclair View Post
They get commissions for it.
Old Jul 23, 16, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
I have never seen a card's benefits hit this hard, by a long shot. Stunning.

Wife and I each have it and almost certainly will be dumping late this year when it is time to renew.

Not understanding the point of advertising a card like crazy, paying bloggers to push it, paying us 50k TYPs to take it, and then driving us away almost ASAP.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: