Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Prestige benefit and reward changes effective July 23, 2017

Citi Prestige benefit and reward changes effective July 23, 2017

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 16, 17, 5:50 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: oopl
Wiki Link
7/16: New changes that will take effect on 7/23.
  • 4th night free bookable online at thankyou.com (benefit applied as discount at checkout)
  • Cash out TY at 1 cpp
  • metal card
  • 75,000 TY for $7,500 spend signup bonus

1. The following benefits will be changed effective July 23, 2017:

- Loss of AA Admirals Club Access (Effectively immediately if the account is opened on or after 09/01/2016. See Post 296.

- $0.0125 per each TY points for airfare redemptions at thankyou.com.

- Loss of Complimentary International & Domestic Golf

- 4th Night benefit will be based on the average nightly rate of your complete stay for reservations made on or after July 23, 2017. Taxes will no longer be included within the statement credit.

2. $100 Annual Fee Reduction will be extended to Citi Priority if you are currently a Citigold client and you are impacted by the increase in minimum balance and downgrade.
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 22, 16, 10:42 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Bananastand1984 View Post
Does anyone have any information on whether or not the 3 free golf rounds are going to be a perk of the card? I've gotten a ton of value from this, and would really hate to see it go.

I took a look at the most recent Citi Prestige application online and they make no mention of the three free rounds.
The golf has always been a little hard to find when applying but appears to be unchanged. I agree with you, this perk is very important to me. I am lucky enough to live near some of the nicer courses on the list and can easily play $1,000+ in free golf over the three rounds.
Old Jul 22, 16, 11:47 am

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Ex-UA Gold, Ex-AA Gold , Ex-SPG Gold, Peon everywhere else
The new application landing page says 40k points can be redeemed for $800 in AA flights. If this is really the case then we would now be getting 2 cents per point (instead of 1.6) on AA flight redemptions. This I value more than having the ability to transfer points to AA, since at the moment AA award availability is at all time lows. Maybe Citi reasoned that if they are going to take away AA lounge access and they cannot offer AA as a transfer partner, then the least they can do is increase the point value when redeeming points for AA flights. I wish Citi had the same benefit that Chase offers to its UA CC holders where you can purchase a UA flight on the UA website and use miles (at .01/mile) afterwards to offset all or part of the cost of the flight. And you will earn full EQM's and redeemable miles.

Last edited by eknock007; Jul 22, 16 at 11:53 am
Old Jul 22, 16, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by eknock007 View Post
If this is really the case
Don't hold your breath...
Old Jul 22, 16, 12:29 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Ex-UA Gold, Ex-AA Gold , Ex-SPG Gold, Peon everywhere else
One more interesting bit of useless information:

AA club membership fees are increasing by $50 on July 25th. Maybe that explains why the Prestige no longer gets AC access. Citi didn't want to fork over the extra money.

Last edited by eknock007; Jul 22, 16 at 12:41 pm
Old Jul 22, 16, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by Jpr0930 View Post
Don't hold your breath...
I agree.
I guess the $800 language is from the old offer of 50k with 1.6 AA redemption that comes to $800.
Old Jul 22, 16, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Belllaaa View Post
I agree.
I guess the $800 language is from the old offer of 50k with 1.6 AA redemption that comes to $800.
Yeah, that seems to be the consensus around the web. Not surprising, since: Citi.
Old Jul 22, 16, 12:56 pm

Yeah, that seems to be the consensus around the web. Not surprising, since: Citi.
Agree, especially since they don't even mention anything special about American. I guess they will just do a flat rate of 1.33 for all airlines including American. I will be very happy even if they just leave the current offer of 1.6 on American.
Old Jul 22, 16, 1:02 pm

Agree, especially since they don't even mention anything special about American. I guess they will just do a flat rate of 1.33 for all airlines including American. I will be very happy even if they just leave the current offer of 1.6 on American.

Heck, I'll be happy even if they only leave it for existing Prestige holders for a year. Grabbing the card recently instantly made my 50k TY points from Forward $300 more valuable on AA. Since I have a redemption for all of that in mind for next September, just need them to keep it around long enough to maximize @ the 1.6 rate when the schedule opens up.

Probably wasn't going to keep the card past year 2 anyhow.
Old Jul 22, 16, 1:05 pm

Heck, I'll be happy even if they only leave it for existing Prestige holders for a year. Grabbing the card recently instantly made my 50k TY points from Forward $300 more valuable on AA. Since I have a redemption for all of that in mind for next September, just need them to keep it around long enough to maximize @ the 1.6 rate when the schedule opens up.

Probably wasn't going to keep the card past year 2 anyhow.
The new language no loner mention $800 on American! not even 1.6!
Attached Images  

Last edited by Belllaaa; Jul 22, 16 at 1:17 pm
Old Jul 22, 16, 1:07 pm

The new language no loner mention $800 on American!
I'm well aware. But the language I signed up under did, hence my remark about being happy if they leave it for existing cardholders for a year or so instead of pulling the rug out from everyone at the same time.
Old Jul 22, 16, 1:12 pm

The new language no loner mention $800 on American! not even 1.6!
Also, this link I clicked through directly from Citi's website shows the $800 on American still:

https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/cr...3P671C2L10101W

Granted, this is for 40,000 points (2cpp!!), which leads me to believe it is an error and they either meant to remove it or didn't update the math. (Though stranger still that the other values, $400 in gift cards and the 'other airlines', do reflect the proper amounts @ 40k TYP)

Time will tell...
Old Jul 22, 16, 1:15 pm

I assume legal text has to go through legal. How are they legally allowed to screw things up so badly?

They changed all the other values.
Old Jul 22, 16, 1:27 pm

Programs: AS,UA
Are we sure the Golf benefit is going away? I don't even remember this being advertised as a regular perk on the old apps and that you kind of had to know about the perk to begin with, it was pretty much unknown that you could actually used this for 7 free rounds in Asia while everywhere else it was 3
Old Jul 22, 16, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by jamesinclair View Post
I assume legal text has to go through legal. How are they legally allowed to screw things up so badly.
Think again.

1. When you believe that legal text has to go through legal, in fact many literature have skipped the "going through legal" portion.

2. Many screw-up may not be a result of the originator, but legal...
Old Jul 22, 16, 2:10 pm

So about half-hour ago I got off a the longest chat I have had with someone at Citi specifically about this AA point valuation issue. I did not print a copy of the chat but basically, I pointed out about that the language on the offer specifically was saying 40,000 points for $800 of AA flights. The rep confirmed that was what he were seeing, so I pressed him to confirm the correct valuation. He came back a awhile later with 62.5 point per dollar. That is the way he gave me the valuation which does translate to 1.6 c/point. So I reminded him that the website was really 50 points/dollar or 2 c/point. After that I went throught the longest pause. So he came back and pretty much affirmed the 62.5 points per dollar. I did comment that the website should be updated to reflect to true value of the points on AA flights as they were giving perspective applicants false information. Soon after I had ended the chat, the language on the citi website about the AA valuation was gone.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: