Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Prestige benefit and reward changes effective July 23, 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 25, 2016, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oopl
7/16: New changes that will take effect on 7/23.
  • 4th night free bookable online at thankyou.com (benefit applied as discount at checkout)
  • Cash out TY at 1 cpp
  • metal card
  • 75,000 TY for $7,500 spend signup bonus

1. The following benefits will be changed effective July 23, 2017:

- Loss of AA Admirals Club Access (Effectively immediately if the account is opened on or after 09/01/2016. See Post 296.

- $0.0125 per each TY points for airfare redemptions at thankyou.com.

- Loss of Complimentary International & Domestic Golf

- 4th Night benefit will be based on the average nightly rate of your complete stay for reservations made on or after July 23, 2017. Taxes will no longer be included within the statement credit.

2. $100 Annual Fee Reduction will be extended to Citi Priority if you are currently a Citigold client and you are impacted by the increase in minimum balance and downgrade.
Print Wikipost

Citi Prestige benefit and reward changes effective July 23, 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2016, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by fliesdelta
How do you access that club? Just show an MC World Elite card, regardless of issuer, plus a boarding pass? Does it matter what airline you're flying?
The website indicates you just have to have a MC World Elite Card, but it is not clear if it doesnt matter which country it was issued in. The Amex club in mex doesnt care about the country of issue.

https://www.priceless.com/es-mx/mexi...ge-/offer.html

It's airside so you need a boarding pass to get to it but I dont think there is an airline requirement.

A google search reveals other MasterCard Elite lounges in Brazil and Eastern Europe.

Edit: Apparently Montreal as well

Again, this is very similar to Amex where the US website does not mention the lounges in Latin America anywhere, and the agents dont know anything if you ask, but the clubs in Mexico City, Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires etc will all happily let you in with a US card and have done so for 10+ years, way before they began to open lounges in the US.

It baffles me why they try and hide the benefit.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 6:57 pm

This was posted in one of the comments at VFAW. More changes on the way?

Official changes coming July 27th to Prestige:
*Removal of AA benefits (lounge access & higher value on AA redemptions using TY points)
*Removal of the 3 complementary rounds of golf
*The 4th night free benefit will now be based on the average nightly rate of the complete 4 day stay and taxes will no longer be included.
*The TY points value on all airline redemptions will be reduced to 25%
Old Jul 21, 2016, 7:11 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
And so, devaluation is now complete.
Earn 40,000 bonus ThankYou® Points after you spend $4,000 in purchases within 3 months of account opening.2 Points are redeemable for an $800 flight on American Airlines, a $532 flight on any other airline or $400 in gift cards.
$800 must be a mistake just unwittingly copied from the previous offer. That would be 1:2 ratio, while $532 is the old 1:1.33 ratio good for all other airlines.

Didn't see anything on a free hotel night or golf offer.

https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/cr...-prestige-card

There gotta be residual links for the old offer, there always are.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by iluvdoco

Lol Hey CITI, just close the card completely if you want to play these games.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 7:23 pm

I guess a lot of people will cancel/convert if this happens... From what I've read, people were either already very unhappy about taking away AA lounge access and wanted to cancel, or still willing to hold the card for 4th night free benefit.. If citi devalues both, they will lose A LOT of customers.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 7:34 pm

That would indeed get me to cancel next year, yes.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 8:04 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Most of us will cancel it after the first year anyhow.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 8:26 pm

Programs: American Airlines
Just as someone else suspected in an earlier post, I'm thinking that with Citi eliminating AA lounges, lowering the value of TYP needed to redeem on an American Airline flight means two things to me:

1) They are about to introduce AA as a transfer partner
Or:
2) Citi will remove benefit A, and replace with benefit B.

There is no way Citi can stay profitable introducing (again, just my speculations) AA as a transfer partner, and keeping the Prestige intact.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 8:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
If the 1.6x for AA purchases does go away...

... how does this get implemented for existing TYP holders? At the moment, there are ambiguous sign-up links out there (one promising 2x [I wish!], the other not mentioning the special 1.6x treatment of TYP for AA). And TYP will still sell me AA tickets for 1.6 cents per TYP. Is it possible (likely) than when Citi gets their act together and establishes a single current offer, that they will flip a switch and kill the 1.6x AA value within the TYP travel purchase engine? Will they announce a date? I recognize that this is something no one can know for sure, but I'd be curious how past changes with values of TYP got implemented.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 9:21 pm

*Removal of AA benefits (lounge access & higher value on AA redemptions using TY points)
*The 4th night free benefit will now be based on the average nightly rate of the complete 4 day stay and taxes will no longer be included.
Are they confirmed? Or just someone's comments?
Old Jul 22, 2016, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
Are they confirmed? Or just someone's comments?
Just some rando's comments. I'm not refuting the claims, but in typical internet fashion it's just some musings in a blog comment at this point.

Also, the final point is confusing. I get what they mean, but it's worded terribly.

TravelHackerNoob says:
July 21, 2016 at 9:28 am
Old Jul 22, 2016, 7:00 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
I hope if they do devalue thank you points that they give us some lead time, I am sitting on about 100k TYP that I intend to use for AA tickets sometime this year.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 7:34 am

No mention of the 1.6c AA redemption on the new citi prestige page ($4k/40k TYP):

Rewards Program Details
Earning and Redeeming ThankYou Points
Earn points faster with Citi Prestige®, including triple points on airfare and hotels, double points on dining and entertainment, and one point on other purchases.
Travel more with fewer ThankYou® Points
Your points are worth 33% more on other flights compared to non-air travel when booked through the Citi ThankYou® Travel Center.
With no points cap and no expiration of points, there's no limit to the points you can earn.
Redeem ThankYou Points for almost anything, from travel, electronics, and one-of-a-kind experiences, to statement credits, cash and gift cards from popular retailers. You can also use your points to make a donation to charity.
Points Transfer
Transfer points to participating travel loyalty programs.2

Knowing citi they will prob (at best) just add more useless airline transfer partners.

Last edited by mia; Jul 22, 2016 at 7:44 am
Old Jul 22, 2016, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by Jpr0930
Just some rando's comments. I'm not refuting the claims, but in typical internet fashion it's just some musings in a blog comment at this point.

Also, the final point is confusing. I get what they mean, but it's worded terribly.
Hopefully not true, as the golf benefit is one of the most valuable to me (I will get like $750 out of it this year).

FWIW, the new landing page doesn't mention the golf benefit (the old one does) but it also refutes what this guy said because it still says that the 4th night free is at the 4th night rate plus applicable taxes.

All in all I'm not too bothered by these changes so far, as I mainly have the card for 4th night free and priority pass. I fly American maybe once a year. Will be annoyed if I lose the golf, but I have the lower AF through CitiGold so at $100 net after the airfare reimbursement I'm still getting a ton of value.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by slivrflyr
Knowing citi they will prob (at best) just add more useless airline transfer partners.
You mean to say you haven't found value in EVA's Infinity MileageLands program?

Which I think gets its name from the fact you have to work until infinity to get enough miles to book a trip!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.