Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Prestige benefit and reward changes effective July 23, 2017

Citi Prestige benefit and reward changes effective July 23, 2017

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 16, 17, 5:50 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: oopl
Wiki Link
7/16: New changes that will take effect on 7/23.
  • 4th night free bookable online at thankyou.com (benefit applied as discount at checkout)
  • Cash out TY at 1 cpp
  • metal card
  • 75,000 TY for $7,500 spend signup bonus

1. The following benefits will be changed effective July 23, 2017:

- Loss of AA Admirals Club Access (Effectively immediately if the account is opened on or after 09/01/2016. See Post 296.

- $0.0125 per each TY points for airfare redemptions at thankyou.com.

- Loss of Complimentary International & Domestic Golf

- 4th Night benefit will be based on the average nightly rate of your complete stay for reservations made on or after July 23, 2017. Taxes will no longer be included within the statement credit.

2. $100 Annual Fee Reduction will be extended to Citi Priority if you are currently a Citigold client and you are impacted by the increase in minimum balance and downgrade.
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 19, 16, 7:17 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by dukerau View Post
Per Gary @ VFTW, Citi rep confirms July 23, 2017, end date for Prestige Admiral's Club access and denies the removal of 2x for dining (in other words, 2x for dining will remain).
Despite having other options dining would have been the bigger loss. I am more or less airline agnostic and don't have an Admiral's Club at my home airport. Definitely using the AA loss as leverage for a concession at renewal though.
Old Jul 19, 16, 7:18 pm

Giving 1 year notice is good. It also gives them time to find an alternative value proposition if they intend to keep the fee the same.

When Amex lost lounge access, they started developing their own lounge system.

I cant see Citi doing that. It seems really expensive and it takes a very long time. Additionally, many airports have no room.

However, since Prestige offers the best PP access of any card (2 free guests), they can work with them to increase PP pass lounges in the US. Most US airports have at most 1 tiny lounge, where internationally you can pick from a dozen quality lounges.

Another alternative is partnering with Mastercard. Mexico City airport has a Mastercard World Elite lounge. Time to bring that concept to the US? Mex also had 3 Amex lounges long (LONG) before they started opening them in the US, so there is precedence.

That would save Citi money because the cost would be split with everyone who issues a Mastercard World Elite card.
Old Jul 19, 16, 7:48 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by mia View Post
I still do not see this as a reason to remove Dining from Prestige. Even the free Preferred card offers 2X points for Dining and Entertainment, as do the legacy Forward cards. Dining keeps the card in the wallet -and- it creates a situation where a cardholder might discuss it with a friend or colleague.

I suspect this means that Citi is not rolling out revised offers until next week.
I was at a branch today. They did not have any physical handouts on the counter, but I spoke with one of the reps. They went into the system and pulled up the most recent promotions (they said that they are good through the 23rd).

Printed out with the 50,000 points after $3000 spend. Did not say 2x dining (did not ask further), mentioned Admirals Club, $350 annual fee. Dining wouldn't be a huge loss, since I have the Forward and CSP (although one less card to carry if Prestige still has dining).

Considering applying, since I am interested in the $250 airline credit and using the reimbursement for Global Entry (worth the annual fee alone at $350 in my eyes). Only problem is on the preapproved page, it does not mention the Prestige or Premier, only the AAdvantage Platinum Select, Preferred, Hilton, and Simplicity.
Old Jul 19, 16, 8:39 pm

Programs: SPG Plat. AA Plat. UA Gold
I suspect this means that Citi is not rolling out revised offers until next week.
July 24, 2016 also happens to be a Sunday which is when new transfer partners tend to appear. It'd be interesting if they coupled the new offer with an AA transferability announcement. It's quite a reach based on the limited data points out there, but always fun to speculate on the reason for the delayed offer updates.

Although I agree that the 1.6c is overall much more valuable to me right now given the sad state of AA Award availability on their own metal.

I've used the ability to full/partial pay with TYP multiple times in order to cut down on out of pocket costs on AA flights when there was zero award availability.
Old Jul 19, 16, 11:12 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT
Originally Posted by jamesinclair View Post
Giving 1 year notice is good. It also gives them time to find an alternative value proposition if they intend to keep the fee the same.

When Amex lost lounge access, they started developing their own lounge system.

I cant see Citi doing that. It seems really expensive and it takes a very long time. Additionally, many airports have no room.

However, since Prestige offers the best PP access of any card (2 free guests), they can work with them to increase PP pass lounges in the US. Most US airports have at most 1 tiny lounge, where internationally you can pick from a dozen quality lounges.

Another alternative is partnering with Mastercard. Mexico City airport has a Mastercard World Elite lounge. Time to bring that concept to the US? Mex also had 3 Amex lounges long (LONG) before they started opening them in the US, so there is precedence.

That would save Citi money because the cost would be split with everyone who issues a Mastercard World Elite card.
I don't think any of the above will happen.

IMHO, dropping AA club acces makes sense as it cannibalize AA EXEC MC. Wouldn't be surprised if it is AA pushing for access to be dropped. This would reflect the trend of other US airlines to tie lounge access exclusively to branded credit card or paid membership. This would also be reason why PP will not gain access to US airlines lounges.

As PP does not own/operate lounges, it would be up to a third party to build lounges in US for PP to associate themselves with. If it was viable to begin with, it would have happened already with/without Citibank. Having PP as the only partner will not be economically viable for a lounge. Lounge will have to partner with other airlines. Given US airlines already have their own lounges, a third party lounge will have to partner with foreign non-alliance carriers. Not many of them left.

As for MasterCard World Elite lounge, think crowded AMEX Centurion lounge crowded by a factor of 10 due to low annual fee on such a card.

Last edited by seawolf; Jul 19, 16 at 11:17 pm
Old Jul 20, 16, 12:33 am

Will they still keep Global Entry reimbursement? I just received the Prestige card last week and I applied for GE. It shows on my online statement as USCUSTOMSKNOW----X for $100.00. I am hoping that they will still honor it.
Old Jul 20, 16, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I can see why AA would see unlimited access as an issue, but surely they could compromise with something like 5 annual passes (including 2 guests) a year?
I believe the cutting AC access is mainly due to Barclays' re-entering to the competition, not AA.

In other word, there should be a Barclays' card for AC access introduced in 2017.

Additionally, many airports have no room.
Many airports are either currently under renovation or planning to renovate. New spaces can be usually found as a result.

The issue is there is no time, as it takes years to do so.
Old Jul 20, 16, 6:02 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
As PP does not own/operate lounges
They do, on a modest scale. All of the lounges named The Club at ... are operated by the same insurance company which owns Priority Pass.

http://www.collinsongroup.com/what-w...enefits#Second
Old Jul 20, 16, 8:07 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT
They do, on a modest scale. All of the lounges named The Club at ... are operated by the same insurance company which owns Priority Pass.

http://www.collinsongroup.com/what-w...enefits#Second
But what percentage is that out of the entire network?

IMO, it doesn't change the economics. Having just PP members for a club is not viable. For a club in US, you need contracts with foreign airlines which are not already operating in a terminal shared by a US-based alliance member.
Old Jul 20, 16, 9:42 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
If the 1.6 AA redemption is gone I am out. I don't know that the 4th night benefit is worth the hassle since I might just break even on it.
Old Jul 20, 16, 10:44 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
So might we possibly speculate that Barclays will come out with an Admirals Club "gold" card to compete with the Citi Executive? I'll just note that their current top AA offering was rather carefully named a "silver" card.

Trust me, no one in the world names their top offering "silver." No one.

None of that means I'm right, of course. This is pure naked speculation.

Personally, I'm just sad that all this nonsense is going to end up costing me an extra $400 or so per year -- poor, miserable, unfortunate DFW hub captive that I am.
Old Jul 20, 16, 11:33 am
dw
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat Pro, IHG Spire Amb/Kimpton IC
Originally Posted by FallenPlat View Post
So might we possibly speculate that Barclays will come out with an Admirals Club "gold" card to compete with the Citi Executive? I'll just note that their current top AA offering was rather carefully named a "silver" card.
I would not be surprised to see Barclays announce a new top tier AA card that will include lounge access or membership. Hopefully it will be somewhat more competitive than the Citi AA Executive Card, in terms of either bonus spend categories or benefits (I wish the Citi Executive card had the 10% points rebate that the lower tiered cards have).
Old Jul 20, 16, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Dealbreakers for me would be the elimination of 1.6 TYP redemption for AA tickets, 4th night free.

Not happy about Admiral's Club, but not a dealbreaker, perhaps Citi will follow AMEX practice of reimbursement of Admiral's Club fee, once the benefit was removed.

Will it still be possible to use $250 annual airline reimbursement to purchase airline gift card?

Last edited by mia; Jul 20, 16 at 1:29 pm
Old Jul 20, 16, 4:03 pm

Programs: Paying student debt and traveling when i can
losing AA lounge access is sad for citi prestige users.

even amex plat allows delta lounge access w/a delta ticket.
Old Jul 20, 16, 4:08 pm

Accident post, please delete.

Last edited by lgnki; Jul 20, 16 at 4:25 pm Reason: Quoted wrong post.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: