Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Prestige benefit and reward changes effective July 23, 2017

Citi Prestige benefit and reward changes effective July 23, 2017

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 16, 17, 5:50 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: oopl
Wiki Link
7/16: New changes that will take effect on 7/23.
  • 4th night free bookable online at thankyou.com (benefit applied as discount at checkout)
  • Cash out TY at 1 cpp
  • metal card
  • 75,000 TY for $7,500 spend signup bonus

1. The following benefits will be changed effective July 23, 2017:

- Loss of AA Admirals Club Access (Effectively immediately if the account is opened on or after 09/01/2016. See Post 296.

- $0.0125 per each TY points for airfare redemptions at thankyou.com.

- Loss of Complimentary International & Domestic Golf

- 4th Night benefit will be based on the average nightly rate of your complete stay for reservations made on or after July 23, 2017. Taxes will no longer be included within the statement credit.

2. $100 Annual Fee Reduction will be extended to Citi Priority if you are currently a Citigold client and you are impacted by the increase in minimum balance and downgrade.
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 19, 16, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by Bananastand1984 View Post
Does anyone have any information on whether or not the 3 free golf rounds are going to be a perk of the card? I've gotten a ton of value from this, and would really hate to see it go.

I took a look at the most recent Citi Prestige application online and they make no mention of the three free rounds.
No info, but I can't imagine why they'd get rid of that benefit. The problem for Citi/AA is that the AA Exec card is damn near worthless since the Prestige card is cheaper with the same benefits.

This is about product differentiation:
Citi Prestige for the playa, with free golf, 4th night free, TYP that can be used on any airline since you're not really loyal to any one airline, $200 air travel credit

Citi AA Exec for the AA loyalist, with AC access, AA miles earning, AA EQM earning if you spend a ton of money...well, IMO the AA Exec card would still suck under this scenario, but it sucks a little less.

Also, benefits like free golf or 4th night free aren't going to be used by most cardholders. Golf is a declining sport (Don't believe me? Google "golf is dead."), and how many travelers spend 5 days in one place? It's a way to plump up the benefits brochure while knowing that most cardholders will never take advantage of them.
Old Jul 19, 16, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA
As a frequent Admirals Club visitor, this is a pretty big blow to me. I was in the process of canceling my Executive AAdvantage card but now I'm trying to see if it would be worth asking for a retention offer. If it's true that the Prestige card is dropping the 1.6c/TYP for AA purchases, changing the $200 airline credit to incidentals and dropping the 2X dining, the only other thing I use with this card is the Priority Pass and maybe 1-2x a year (at most).... This card is not worth 350-450 AF to me.

Last edited by moonwoo; Jul 19, 16 at 2:59 pm
Old Jul 19, 16, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by dw View Post

"You will have access to the American Airlines Admirals Club® lounges until June 20th, 2017. After that, you’ll no longer have complimentary access with your Prestige card."
It now says July 23, 2017
Old Jul 19, 16, 3:24 pm

KF transfer is the way to go IMO if you've got access to united or Aa. I don't see a benefit to Etihad since Aa has brutal availability for domestic
Saver judging by lack of Avios redemption space.

I'll try my luck w UA/KF
Old Jul 19, 16, 3:28 pm
dw
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat Pro, IHG Spire Amb/Kimpton IC
Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28 View Post
Good find. I guess that makes it harder for people to complain that they paid their annual fee but received less than one year of this benefit.
Old Jul 19, 16, 3:30 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
I assume KF refers to SQ? KF is a Canadian cargo airline .
Old Jul 19, 16, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by mia View Post
I assume KF refers to SQ? KF is a Canadian cargo airline .
Krisflyer
Old Jul 19, 16, 4:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, UA Silver, National Executive
I wonder if new applications after today will still have Admirals Club access until July 23, 2017? They certainly won't advertise it on the application page anymore, but there could be lots of confusion at Admirals Clubs if there is a tier of Prestige members that do and another tier that don't have access.
Old Jul 19, 16, 5:24 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Originally Posted by MrPink View Post
The 3x 2x split overlapped a little too much with the thankyou premier card
I still do not see this as a reason to remove Dining from Prestige. Even the free Preferred card offers 2X points for Dining and Entertainment, as do the legacy Forward cards. Dining keeps the card in the wallet -and- it creates a situation where a cardholder might discuss it with a friend or colleague.

Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28 View Post
I suspect this means that Citi is not rolling out revised offers until next week.
Old Jul 19, 16, 5:52 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT
Definitely reason to cancel card coupled with the hold times to talk to an agent...25 minutes and counting..... It's not even the middle of the night (7PM Eastern).

You think they would be able to afford CSRs to pickup the phone on a card with a $450 annual fee.
Old Jul 19, 16, 6:10 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Club Carlson Gold, National EE, *G
Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
Definitely reason to cancel card coupled with the hold times to talk to an agent...25 minutes and counting..... It's not even the middle of the night (7PM Eastern).

You think they would be able to afford CSRs to pickup the phone on a card with a $450 annual fee.
Old Jul 19, 16, 6:23 pm

I'm so torn on whether I should stay with the Prestige and AA or just move over to Delta and get the Delta Reserve. The Prestige dropping Admirals Club access is killer and after the AA devaluation, I'm not seeing a ton of great uses for AA miles. At least I'd be able to hit the spending threshold for Delta's miles boost and have a hopefully better airline operation.
Old Jul 19, 16, 7:12 pm

Programs: Amex MR, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by themicah View Post
I love the 1.6c TYP redemptions as they're incredibly easy. I just bought two AA tickets this week using TYPs.

It's not easy at all these days to get 1.6c of value out of an AA mile unless you're really flexible with scheduling.
I think it's pretty easy if you don't want to fly AA and you don't want to cross the Atlantic Ocean.
Old Jul 19, 16, 7:22 pm
mia

Originally Posted by hiima View Post
Krisflyer
Yes, but if someone does not recognize the acronyms used on Flyertalk they will look in the glossary. If they lookup SQ they will find that it is the industry code for Singapore Airlines. If they lookup KF they will not find anything about Singapore Airline's frequent flyer program.
Old Jul 19, 16, 7:32 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by mia View Post
I still do not see this as a reason to remove Dining from Prestige. Even the free Preferred card offers 2X points for Dining and Entertainment, as do the legacy Forward cards. Dining keeps the card in the wallet -and- it creates a situation where a cardholder might discuss it with a friend or colleague.
Per Gary @ VFTW, Citi rep confirms July 23, 2017, end date for Prestige Admiral's Club access and denies the removal of 2x for dining (in other words, 2x for dining will remain).

Search this Thread