Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Prestige benefit and reward changes effective July 23, 2017

Citi Prestige benefit and reward changes effective July 23, 2017

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 16, 17, 5:50 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: oopl
Wiki Link
7/16: New changes that will take effect on 7/23.
  • 4th night free bookable online at thankyou.com (benefit applied as discount at checkout)
  • Cash out TY at 1 cpp
  • metal card
  • 75,000 TY for $7,500 spend signup bonus

1. The following benefits will be changed effective July 23, 2017:

- Loss of AA Admirals Club Access (Effectively immediately if the account is opened on or after 09/01/2016. See Post 296.

- $0.0125 per each TY points for airfare redemptions at thankyou.com.

- Loss of Complimentary International & Domestic Golf

- 4th Night benefit will be based on the average nightly rate of your complete stay for reservations made on or after July 23, 2017. Taxes will no longer be included within the statement credit.

2. $100 Annual Fee Reduction will be extended to Citi Priority if you are currently a Citigold client and you are impacted by the increase in minimum balance and downgrade.
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 19, 16, 7:06 am
dw
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat Pro, IHG Spire Amb/Kimpton IC
Originally Posted by Irish80 View Post
The thank you.com page still shows a huge banner for 1.6/points for American flights so I'm not sure what they are doing in regards to point redemption for those flights.
If there are any changes, I'd expect that Citi will provide advance notice to existing cardholders before they are implemented for them, so we should probably be on the lookout for some mailings from Citi in the next few weeks.
Old Jul 19, 16, 7:27 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, AA Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Virgin America Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by dw View Post
If there are any changes, I'd expect that Citi will provide advance notice to existing cardholders before they are implemented for them, so we should probably be on the lookout for some mailings from Citi in the next few weeks.
Good point. I can only imagine the amount of closures if all these rumored changes are announced all at once.
Old Jul 19, 16, 7:31 am
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by Irish80 View Post
... if all these rumored changes are announced all at once.
Typically Citi has announced offsetting improvements before announcing negative changes. This has not worked well, perhaps this time they will announce all the product changes simultaneously.
Old Jul 19, 16, 8:17 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, AA Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Virgin America Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by mia View Post
Typically Citi has announced offsetting improvements before announcing negative changes. This has not worked well, perhaps this time they will announce all the product changes simultaneously.
Good to know. It will be very interesting to see what they do. For me, the loss of Admiral Club access isn't a huge deal as I have the Executive card but a drop in the redemption value of TY points along with the other rumored changes would be disappointing. I guess we have to be happy that they apparently are not making any changes to the 4th free night.
Old Jul 19, 16, 9:19 am

Could this be in preparation for finally adding AA as a ThankYou points Transfer Partner? Clearly contracts were renegotiated recently.
Old Jul 19, 16, 9:24 am
dw
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat Pro, IHG Spire Amb/Kimpton IC
Originally Posted by Nick92 View Post
Could this be in preparation for finally adding AA as a ThankYou points Transfer Partner? Clearly contracts were renegotiated recently.
^ I could definitely see an end to the 1.6 cent/point redemptions on AA with the addition of AAdvantage as a transfer partner.
Old Jul 19, 16, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by dw View Post
^ I could definitely see an end to the 1.6 cent/point redemptions on AA with the addition of AAdvantage as a transfer partner.
I love the 1.6c TYP redemptions as they're incredibly easy. I just bought two AA tickets this week using TYPs.

It's not easy at all these days to get 1.6c of value out of an AA mile unless you're really flexible with scheduling.
Old Jul 19, 16, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by themicah View Post
I love the 1.6c TYP redemptions as they're incredibly easy. I just bought two AA tickets this week using TYPs.

It's not easy at all these days to get 1.6c of value out of an AA mile unless you're really flexible with scheduling.

+1.

Econ saver space has been scorched by AA. TYPs have been a godsend for short haul redemptions ever since the BA-Aa deval
Old Jul 19, 16, 11:21 am

Programs: AA - EP, Marriott - PP

+1

A guaranteed 4.8% return for flights and hotels (or all "travel" if you have a premier) is MUCH better than playing roulette with AA's awful saver availability. And having TYP redemptions counting as revenue tickets is a great double dip, so much so that I exclusively choose to use TYPs over AA miles for personal travel if the math isn't absurd.
Old Jul 19, 16, 11:22 am

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver

Not to mention a huge perk to be able to book as a revenue ticket counting towards status and upgradable. In the year I have had the card I have booked trips to Sydney, London and Madrid and cleared all into J with SWUs
Old Jul 19, 16, 12:30 pm

Programs: Grounded
I cannot see a compelling case for this change. It doesn't cannibalize other Citi products, it doesn't cost much to provide. Branches are not credit card stores. In THIS thread a branch was distributing material which expired in 2013.
The 3x 2x split overlapped a little too much with the thankyou premier card AFAICT, to the point where the Premier is actually the better points earning card as the 3x is more broad ("travel" including taxis/uber/lyft), and the 2x dining matches it. I could see a "realignment" so that these overlaps don't happen, much like the AMEX Plat is a terrible points earning card but PR Gold is good.
Old Jul 19, 16, 1:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum
I am pretty confident that the 2x dining will not disappear because even when I applied last yr in branch, the printout I received from the banker did not state 2x dining on it either (yes I saved the printout!).

If TYP loses the 1.6c AA redemption would be painful and would probably sway me to just transfer to mainly Singapore and even Etihad (25% xfer bonus currently).

If AA becomes a transfer partner, it is possible, but also seems like it would be tgtbt, and would not expect a 1:1 xfer (since 1:1 would make earning much better than holding any of their aa cards). Maybe 1.25:1aa or 1.5:1aa is possible.

With the loss of AA lounges, maybe we should complain more. The idea of issuing maybe like 4x lounge passes/yr would lessen the blow. Maybe they do plan to implement that after 6/20/17 since we all currently still have lounge access till then.

But otherwise, I am locked in with the $350 af and will still keep this card since the 4th nt free has saved me thousands!
Old Jul 19, 16, 2:24 pm

Looks as if the Citi Executive product manager prevailed in this turf war .

Credit to Citi for providing 11 months advance notice of the change ^ .
Scary theory: The early notice is because they plan to follow Amex's lead by eliminating pro-rated AF rebates for card cancellations...
Old Jul 19, 16, 2:30 pm

Does anyone have any information on whether or not the 3 free golf rounds are going to be a perk of the card? I've gotten a ton of value from this, and would really hate to see it go.

I took a look at the most recent Citi Prestige application online and they make no mention of the three free rounds.
Old Jul 19, 16, 2:35 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
The golf benefit is still mentioned on the page linked in post #1 of this thread.

The current online application mentions:

Complimentary greens fees at more than 2,400 public and private golf courses around the globe
GOLF BOOKINGS IN US, Canada, Latin America, Caribbean, Europe, Middle East and Africa
This benefit is brought to Citi Prestige Cardmembers by MasterCard International but the Service Provider is Golf Switch, Inc.

The primary cardmember will receive 3 complimentary rounds of golf through the Citi Prestige® Golf Portal (provided by GolfSwitch, Inc.) each calendar year, subject to the terms and conditions of the Program. Complimentary rounds are for the primary cardmember only. The Citi Prestige card must be used to reserve the rounds, and if the round is eligible for the complimentary offer, the cardmember will not be billed. After the 3 free rounds of golf are used, the cardmember will need to use their Citi Prestige card to book and pay for additional rounds. Cardmember must book at least 3 days in advance of tee date.

TEE TIME BOOKING AND AUTHORIZATION AGREEMENT

By accepting this Agreement you

(1) authorize GolfSwitch to transmit your name, address, E-mail address and credit card information to the golf course at which you make such reservation and to the Website Booking Agent and

(2) acknowledge that the Website Booking Agent's operators may use your credit card to guarantee the reservation and/or charge the greens fee in advance

The golf course you have selected requires advance notice before day of play for any cancellation which you may furnish by either following the cancellation policy on the GolfSwitch site or by contacting the Citi Prestige Concierge directly. If you do not cancel your reservation in accordance with the cancellation policy, you may be charged the entire greens fee for all rounds reserved.

Although GolfSwitch is using its most reasonable effort to provide an internet reservation system for customers desiring to reserve rounds at golf courses participating in its network, you understand that GolfSwitch is providing its reservation service "as is" without making any warranties of any kind, including any express warranties and the implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose, except as required by law. GolfSwitch's maximum liability for any damages that you may suffer or that may result from your use of the reservation system will not exceed the aggregate booking fee paid for the reservation owing rise to the damages. In no event will GolfSwitch or any of its Suppliers be liable for any consequential, incidental or any such damages or for lost profits of any kind, even if apprised of the possibility of any such damages.

For the most current details regarding Service Provider Terms and Conditions, please visit mastercard.com/citiprestige in the terms and conditions section.

Citi is not responsible for the products, services or facilities provided and/or owned by other companies

Search this Thread
Search Engine: