Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Prestige $250 airline credit: Best Use?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2016, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

I Just got the card and I would like to use the airline credit for before it runs out this year. I have already used up most of my vacation time this year so I don't plan on flying anytime soon. I might fly again next year with Southwest in the summer for 2017. I guess I could by a $250 gift card now and then have another $250 credit in 2017. I am hesitant to lock up the credit with a particular airline like WN just because plans may change.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 5:28 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
The only way to claim the credit is to make a purchase from an airline. If you buy a gift card which does not expire it would not matter how soon you fly. To have an opinion about which airline would be "best" for you we would need to know more about your travel patterns or aspirations.

Most of this card's benefits are related to travel. What was your motivation to apply? This might give us some insight.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 10:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
The only way to claim the credit is to make a purchase from an airline. If you buy a gift card which does not expire it would not matter how soon you fly. To have an opinion about which airline would be "best" for you we would need to know more about your travel patterns or aspirations.

Most of this card's benefits are related to travel. What was your motivation to apply? This might give us some insight.
I don't fly a lot. I do however generate a lot of spend. I am after the signup bonus,TYP and 4th night benefit. I wouldn't mind storing up the points later for a premium cabin seat, but that will come later down the line. I am not really looking for "best" airline, I am really looking for "safe". I know if I buy Alaskan, they use a third party vender, so no credit. I fly out of SFO or OAK so I do have a good selection of airlines.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Do you travel for work at all? If you can buy a ticket for work on a personal credit card you could cash out the credit that way.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 12:38 am

Programs: AS, HH, UA, IHG
I usually buy a low cost refundable fare 300+ days out, any route will do. If I don't find an opportunity to change it to something I want, just refund it and nothing lost.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by abner o'mal
I usually buy a low cost refundable fare 300+ days out, any route will do. If I don't find an opportunity to change it to something I want, just refund it and nothing lost.
Nothing lost, but what is gained? More specifically, is the $250 credit clawed back, or does Citi not even care? My guess is the latter, because:

Citi.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by Jpr0930
Nothing lost, but what is gained? More specifically, is the $250 credit clawed back, or does Citi not even care? My guess is the latter, because:

Citi.
Nay on the first issue, and TBD at best on the second issue. Most people that get this card travel on a cash ticket once a year so it's moot. I travel a few times a year and I book all tickets with awards because I can usually book with points cheaper than $250 with my breakdown of the usual suspects (Avios, southwest, TY, United, etc etc) and what it costs me to achieve that.

I wouldn't make it a habit of doing the refund thing though. Once or twice is fine but you have 11 months or so before you would need to decide to do that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.