Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi annual fee refund [due to failure to notify prior to billing renewal fee]

Citi annual fee refund [due to failure to notify prior to billing renewal fee]

Old Mar 3, 16, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), Marriott Tit
Question Citi annual fee refund [due to failure to notify prior to billing renewal fee]

This is quite odd.

I signed up for the Citi AAdvantage Executive card a few months after it was announced (sometime in 2011 or 2012). A couple of years later, my travel declined to the point that the 10K EQM weren't of any benefit, so I canceled the card.

Today, completely out of the blue, I received a check for $450 from Citibank. The attached letter says:

We discovered tht we failed to include a statement message notifying you of the annual membership fee the month before we billed it. We apologize for our oversight.

We're issuing you the refund check below for the annual membership fee(s) we billed without the required notice. This refund includes any related fees and interest charges. Please note, your account will remain closed.
Has this happened to anyone else?

The really weird thing is that I recently changed jobs again, and it's looking like I may get close to qualifying for EXP this year, so I signed up for a new Executive card late last week and received it on Monday. I have a hard time believing that the timing is a coincidence, even though the letter attached to the check does reference my old account number (the one I closed in 2014).

Old Mar 3, 16, 10:06 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat (LT Plat 2.1 MM),United S, SPG P, Marriott P, Hyatt Diamond *-)-
They sent all active card holders a letter with the option to cancel the card, due to the disclosure issue, and receive the $450 back in full. You must have cancelled within that time frame
Old Mar 5, 16, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA PLT/ 1MM+, Marriott Gold
When did that letter go out? I didn't get it and I've had the card for two years
Old Mar 6, 16, 6:05 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Moving this to the Citi credit card forum for further discussion. Thanks. /JY1024, TravelBuzz co-moderator
Old Mar 6, 16, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by geepmaley View Post
When did that letter go out? I didn't get it and I've had the card for two years
I got the same letter (with a check) this week for one (just one) of the dozen+ Citi AA Plat cards I had. (I can't remember offhand if it was a Visa or Amex or MC; I do see from the refund check that it was back when the annual fee was $85, not $95 as it today.)

The refund is due to a failure to notify you in advance on the annual fee billing on the previous statement, which is legally required. Citi messed that up for a very short time several years ago. It's only if you were billed an annual fee during that short time that you get the refund now.

And because Citi retention bonuses are credits, not waivers, you can get a refund now even if you got a retention bonus for the annual fee (of a credit equal to the annual fee) back then! (I did get a retention bonus for this card, and in fact I remember the confusion where the AF was still $85 but because it was due to increase to $95 the retention bonus was $95!)

And it affects much more than just Citi AA Exec. It affects at least all Citi AA annual-fee cards (during that short period of time), and it's possible it might affect other Citi annual fee cards (during that short period of time), we won't know until/unless we get a datapoint on one of those.

Last edited by sdsearch; Mar 6, 16 at 10:02 am
Old Mar 6, 16, 2:10 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Harris Bank did the same when they failed to notify before billing Diners Club MasterCard renewal fee.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diner...-refunded.html
Old Mar 7, 16, 6:28 am

I got the same letter, but I almost did not open it since it looked like just some form of notice or one with blank checks inside. My check was only for slightly over $78.
This may also explain why I got my $350 Citi Prestige fee credited back to my account last summer without any notice.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: