Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi Account Shutdown (2016)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2016, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by us1549
Some say WMBP are anonymous, but WM asks for your DL and SSN. So not really anonymous, they know exactly who is making the payments. Whether CFP passes that info on to the payee is another thing altogether.
Not really. In general only amount over $2K requires personal data but individual store could set its POS to $1K threshold if that store has suffered losses in the past.

Individual WMT seems to have a lot of power to set its own policy even as basic as price match. In my area there is one WMT superstore refuses to price match produces yet every other one that has produce section continues to match.

Cycling CL is a serious offender. When the accounts are shut down, the Primary Owner also suffer the consequence even only the AU abuses the card.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 4:26 pm
Suspended

Didn't see this but got call from CITI the other day asking about the source of funds for my WM BP payments. Told her it was from my employment and I sent them from my other bank account (she spoon fed me) and didn't get shut down.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 4:27 pm
Suspended

The way WMBP/CheckFree processes these payments is they send an ACH from their BOA account. This is info from Discovercard.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AndrewTheMan
Didn't see this but got call from CITI the other day asking about the source of funds for my WM BP payments. Told her it was from my employment and I sent them from my other bank account (she spoon fed me) and didn't get shut down.
So she was doing a "know your customer" type of call, as she actually led you on the "correct" answer.

How many / often are the WMBPs?

The way WMBP/CheckFree processes these payments is they send an ACH from their BOA account. This is info from Discovercard.
I am confused - are the WMBPs for Discovercard brand or for Citicards?
Old Feb 10, 2016, 5:19 pm
XP1

But how do you get this info?
Old Feb 10, 2016, 6:10 pm

Programs: Aadvantage ExPlt, SPG Platinum 100, Alaska 75K
Wife and I were canned on 10/1/15. Eight cards went down, 5 aa personal, one aa biz, and two prestige. I did the following on the cards:

Msed about 150-200k for the year, but never cycled the lines

made many 1000's of dollars of payments in branch with money orders

did wmtbp, although very little if any in 2015

used the cards very sparingly for non ms purchases.

We didn't churn execs and in fact all of the cards had been open for at least a year. We also didn't have any checking or savings accounts, and we didn't do debit phone payments. We never paid an af since I always called in and got them to comp it. Other ms friends of mine lost their cards that same week.

Letter I got in the mail said they didn't wish to continue to do business with us.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lovenola
Wife and I were canned on 10/1/15. Eight cards went down, 5 aa personal, one aa biz, and two prestige. I did the following on the cards:

Msed about 150-200k for the year, but never cycled the lines

made many 1000's of dollars of payments in branch with money orders

did wmtbp, although very little if any in 2015

used the cards very sparingly for non ms purchases.

We didn't churn execs and in fact all of the cards had been open for at least a year. We also didn't have any checking or savings accounts, and we didn't do debit phone payments. We never paid an af since I always called in and got them to comp it. Other ms friends of mine lost their cards that same week.

Letter I got in the mail said they didn't wish to continue to do business with us.
I wish others pay attention to that because there are people feel that is safe and one poster even advocates such claiming he has never heard / read any data point about paying MOs at the branch would cause trouble. I have warned the poster that Citi treats each MO as a separate payment account. Too many payment accounts would get you in trouble. One case in the Chase closure thread the person was told by his branch manager that one of the reasons of his accounts got shut down was "too many payment accounts". Some cards such as FIA AMEX issued by BofA limits you to have only 3 linked bank accounts as payment account, and those are real bank accounts!

The pressure of compliance is big on the banks which are required to be on the look out of ML - one of the areas to monitor is the source of funds to pay off the debts. Banks rather fire the customers than incur large costs to meet the compliance requirements.

Last edited by Happy; Feb 10, 2016 at 6:52 pm
Old Feb 10, 2016, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by XP1
But how do you get this info?
Most banks don't list much detail on WMBP/Checkfree payments. OP just meant Discover gives out more info that these WMBP/Checkfree always come from the same BOA account. E.g. if you do a WMBP/Checkfree to Discover card then it shows up as BANK OF AMERICA, NA ending 3589.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 6:37 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Had one of my HHonors cards shut down on 2/1. They sent a notice of account closure e-mail referring to a message in the message center. That message just said account was shut down for lack of activity, "apparently it wasn't a good fit". My other HH card is still open, didn't have any activity either but was a bit newer.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 6:44 pm

Programs: All of them
I'm willing to bet many of those shut down routinely got their balance into negative territory, as it's hard to time payments from outside sources. You must only pay balances that are actually posted and never overpay ahead of time. Many banks view it as a big no-no.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drminn
Had one of my HHonors cards shut down on 2/1. They sent a notice of account closure e-mail referring to a message in the message center. That message just said account was shut down for lack of activity, "apparently it wasn't a good fit". My other HH card is still open, didn't have any activity either but was a bit newer.
How long had you gone without using the card that got cancelled for "inactivity", and how long for the card that is still open?

Banks cancelling cards for "inactivity" is decades old, but each bank has different standards for how long a card can go unused before it closes it for "inactivity".
Old Feb 11, 2016, 8:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Happy
So she was doing a "know your customer" type of call, as she actually led you on the "correct" answer.

How many / often are the WMBPs?

I am confused - are the WMBPs for Discovercard brand or for Citicards?
Yeah, but it was specifically about "payments in the amount of $1998.12". That was a newer card and it only saw like 100k in action a month.. In the last month or so that cooled down to <20k because of WM issues.

WMBPs were sent to the Citicard. In the past when I paid Discovercard through WMBP, I learned they sent ACHs from a BOA account.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 8:25 am

Programs: Spg Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by sdsearch
How long had you gone without using the card that got cancelled for "inactivity", and how long for the card that is still open?

Banks cancelling cards for "inactivity" is decades old, but each bank has different standards for how long a card can go unused before it closes it for "inactivity".
Citi closed 2 of my 4 HH cards 8 months ago for inactivity . IIRC it was 18 or 24
months so I charge a small amount occasionally in the remaining 2 .
Old Feb 11, 2016, 8:40 am

My wife got a letter asking to call back to talk about "account activity". When she called she was asked about massive giftcard purchases, several payments on the same day from different sources (real banks, not WMBP) and purchase transactions at different banks (balance funding/transferring). Her accounts are still alive, but I don't know yet how it will end up.
Now I am worried about her points. What is the best way to save points now? Is selling points still Ok?
Old Feb 11, 2016, 10:17 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by groundhog
My wife got a letter asking to call back to talk about "account activity". When she called she was asked about massive giftcard purchases, several payments on the same day from different sources (real banks, not WMBP) and purchase transactions at different banks (balance funding/transferring). Her accounts are still alive, but I don't know yet how it will end up.
Now I am worried about her points. What is the best way to save points now? Is selling points still Ok?
And what was her response to the questions asked??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.