Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi Account Shutdown (2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2016, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by mhdena
What happened with the account activity they asked about?

Did you speak to them or ignored it?
She spoke and they seemed to be satisfied. I think the reason for shutdown is simply MS.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by groundhog
She spoke and they seemed to be satisfied. I think the reason for shutdown is simply MS.
Care to share the MS amounts?
Old Jul 18, 2016, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by Stivelio
Care to share the MS amounts?
Not much. Since Citi is not great for MS I was using it only for retention offers - like spend few thousands - get something. I also had 5% CB retention offer for Prestige card (up to 50k points), but I finished it few months ago.
Also my AT&T card had 2% CB retention offer up to 50k, so spent another $50k within last 6 months.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 4:41 pm

I filed a claim to CFPB and requested to reinstate my points, but Citi refused. What next step can I take to get my points back?
Old Aug 4, 2016, 12:39 am

I filed a claim to CFPB and requested to reinstate my points, but Citi refused. What next step can I take to get my points back?
Small Claims court, assuming the forfeited TY balance would justify filing fees and effort involved.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by MaxVO
Small Claims court, assuming the forfeited TY balance would justify filing fees and effort involved.
Could anybody give me more details - what is better - Small Claims court or arbitration?
Old Nov 18, 2016, 8:08 am

I wonder... What are you guys putting as your annual income, ye people that be getting shut down.... I mean if you have it set as like 50-70k and you are churning 100-200k a year... then it would only make sense that you get shut down.

My other question is, do they have access to your tax returns? I mean they have your social, you give them permission to dig up dirt on you when you sign up for a bank account or card... Could they be simply checking your IRS returns for your income and when they are way the crap off shutting you down? Other question being, doe all of the people getting shut down have citi bank accounts?

I find this kind of sad yet funny both at the same time because Citi just increased my card limits out of no where... it makes me be like ... because i run my buxx through my double cash... Now I am torn... move it to a different account or keep it where it is?
on one hand if i move it is a big red flag to spend much less every month... On the other hand if they know what it is i could be next under the ban hammer. I guess this is why i diversify my obtaining of cards and try not to have more than 3-4 with a bank, exception being AMEX my favorite lady.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 8:21 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by esckey
... do they have access to your tax returns?
No. The issuer needs to request that you sign a form 4506T to order a transcript of your Federal income tax filings. You should order a transcript to see exactly what they would know, there is much less detail than many people seem to expect:

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript
Old Nov 18, 2016, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by mia
No. The issuer needs to request that you sign a form 4506T to order a transcript of your Federal income tax filings. You should order a transcript to see exactly what they would know, there is much less detail than many people seem to expect:

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript
for me? haha it would be nada, CPA said I should not file last year... Which concerns me... But this year is my firs MS year as I formed an LLC to shell it all so I am going to have like a 200K on my record as I feel that I should document all my MS activities, which really isn't MS but GC Resale,but to some that is the same thing.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by esckey
for me? haha it would be nada, CPA said I should not file last year... Which concerns me... But this year is my firs MS year as I formed an LLC to shell it all so I am going to have like a 200K on my record as I feel that I should document all my MS activities, which really isn't MS but GC Resale,but to some that is the same thing.
If you are making money off of the buying and selling of giftacrds, it most definitely is NOT the same as MSing. If you are breaking even, then yes, it is the same.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 7:35 pm

Could anybody give me more details - what is better - Small Claims court or arbitration?
Arbitration costs them a fortune. It is in their interest to resolve the matter. The one thing you need to get past in filing either a suit in small claims court or an Arbitration Claim is you need to ensure you have a proper claim so they cannot call it frivolous.

Generally, and I'm not an attorney, I simply speak from my own Experience, but generally the one claim that has always survived for me both in Arbitration and Small Claims court has been breach of contract. I can allege everything in the world and they try to pick them off one by one, but if I can prove Breach of Contract then I'm golden.

I have filed Arbitration several times against different companies and I found out that they pay a fortune. So read your agreement and if it states that they will pay the Arbitration Filing Fee, read the details.

I have always asked for an in person hearing in the county I live in because 1. it costs them more money, 2. It would be unlikely for that company to actually have legal council in my city, so it cost them more again. The more it costs them is the better the odds are of them trying to work with you to resolve it. I tell everyone, and this is my opinion, but I think companies put Arbitration Clauses in the agreements in an effort to screw over the consumer.

Filing Arbitration takes a lot of reading, and you can definitely do it pro-se but I recommend hiring an attorney.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 7:02 am

Not much. Since Citi is not great for MS I was using it only for retention offers - like spend few thousands - get something. I also had 5% CB retention offer for Prestige card (up to 50k points), but I finished it few months ago.
Also my AT&T card had 2% CB retention offer up to 50k, so spent another $50k within last 6 months.
$50k is more than just not much. $1-$2k a month is a little bit since that is a reasonable amount most people put on a credit card a month. $50k means you either have a very high income or you are MSing and it's easy to see if you're MSing once get to that amount.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by corpgator
$50k is more than just not much. $1-$2k a month is a little bit since that is a reasonable amount most people put on a credit card a month. $50k means you either have a very high income or you are MSing and it's easy to see if you're MSing once get to that amount.
He actually spend $100k to max out two retention offer that aren't normally supposed to be maxed out. Of course his account got flagged. A quick human eye on his account and an axe followed thereafter.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 7:06 am

i got shut down late 2014 for maxing out 2 cards in a day on pp (about 10k total). i had done 3 executive aa a few months earlier. since then every app they pull my credit and decline. any dp of ppl getting approved after shutdown
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:07 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Discussion continues...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...wn-2017-a.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.