Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2015, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by michael_v
But if you didn't nickname your cards, then the above information is correct?
I presume so. (I always nickname my cards to keep track of when I applied for each one, so I've never been able to verify it myself.)
Old Dec 22, 2015, 2:41 pm

My wife just received a targeted 60K Platinum offer. No specific mention of the 18month rule. Any successes with such offers? I am well inside of the 18 month timeframe and would rather not waste an application. Thanks
Old Dec 22, 2015, 3:23 pm

There are other quirks. My old Visa was Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® -xxxx.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 3:25 pm

Just got my happy approval letter for MC #3 (overall Plat #4). MC #2 was opened mid-October and upgraded about 45 days later.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 3:42 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by aradisc
Just got my happy approval letter for MC #3 (overall Plat #4). MC #2 was opened mid-October and upgraded about 45 days later.
Is that 45-day figure about average for time between card opening and it's upgrade to WE? Just trying to plan for the upcoming months...Thanks!
Old Dec 22, 2015, 4:46 pm

I got the 60,000 offer in the mail last month. Of course I can no longer locate it (probably accidentally trashed).

Can someone check their offer letter to see if a phone number is listed? Might try to see if they can locate my invite code.

Thanks.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 4:47 pm
Suspended

The Platinum AAdvantage card doesn't have one's AAdvantage number anywhere on the card, correct?
Old Dec 22, 2015, 5:01 pm

I currently have a world elite platinum select master card that I got sometime beginning of this year or last year. Is there any of the personal MC cards that I can apply for to get the new 50K bonus? I did read the faqs but am still a little confused and so trying to confirm before I apply
Old Dec 22, 2015, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by jsk1973
The Platinum AAdvantage card doesn't have one's AAdvantage number anywhere on the card, correct?
Haven't seen in on a Citi AA MC.

The old Visas would get it for re-issue/replacement cards, but not on the initial card. Same w/ Barclays Aviator.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by Stivelio
I currently have a world elite platinum select master card that I got sometime beginning of this year or last year. Is there any of the personal MC cards that I can apply for to get the new 50K bonus? I did read the faqs but am still a little confused and so trying to confirm before I apply
If it is in fact a world elite (silver MC logo), feel free to apply for any of the personal links- as long as you have not closed a platinum card in the past 18 months that was regular world.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For those of us who nicknamed our cards (yes, I prefer nicknaming them so I know when they were opened), there is still a way to tell the cards apart by going one extra step or 2, even though you cannot tell from the first summary screen of all your cards.

Go to the Profile where you set default account - there the cards will have their original Citi names, and yes, you can tell your cards a W or WE. The W, as being reported doz times, would has World in the name while the WE would NOT have the word of World in the name.

It is just a 10 second or less job to check your Profile where you can tell if your card is converted or not. I would not give up nickname the cards just to save that 10 seconds each time I want to know if the card is converted yet.

Talk about the conversion, DH's No.3 was opened on 11/03 and has not been converted yet. Not sure if it is because we used pre-qual versus 4c, or because it has only 4.5k line versus 5K. However based on reports the minimum line on WE is 2K only when people tried to lower the lines on their WEs they were told the lowest would be 2K.

Originally Posted by teammjs
Apologies if this has been covered, but wanted to perhaps help others on a nugget I saw awhile back that you could see online whether the card had changed to WE.

For the life of me I couldn't figure out where to look, after trying to click on everything. I finally figured out the "problem". Because I tend to keep all the cards I churn under one ID, one of the first things I do is create an account nickname when adding the card to my profile.

If you do this, you'll knock out the default description, and then you'd have to go into your preferences and to the nickname section to see details. Better not to create one to start with so it's right there on the homepage when you log in.

So, for those of you who don't bother with account nicknames you may have assumed the rest of us could see it clearly, but nicknames are a PITA in this case.
Originally Posted by sdsearch
As I mentioned before, that's NOT TRUE if you've nicknamed your card. If you've nicknamed your card, you can only see whether it says World by going to to the page where you (re)nickname the cards, which at the point is the only place left (that I can find) which has that spelled out.

Just because you don't see "World" other places (after you've nickname your card) means nothing. I proved that by nicknaming my card immediately after activating it and looking around for "World" afterwards, and there were pages that were missing "World", but one page and one page only which said "World".
Originally Posted by sdsearch
YMMV on both, but it's the amount of credit that's more relevant than the number of cards. Some people have had oodles of open Citi cards (when churning Citi HH no-AF Visa was even easier than AA W->WE churning is now, until earlier this year) with limits lowered to $1k on each (Citi HH allowed limits that low, but I think the lowest limit possible on the Citi AA may be a bit higher.)
Recent posts on approvals are as low as 1.5K. However on the WE cards the lowest one could go is 2K.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 6:39 pm

None on my November Platinum W cards got converted either ( managing accounts for 4 people). Did anyone have luck with November churn?
Old Dec 22, 2015, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
For those of us who nicknamed our cards (yes, I prefer nicknaming them so I know when they were opened), there is still a way to tell the cards apart by going one extra step or 2, even though you cannot tell from the first summary screen of all your cards.

Go to the Profile where you set default account - there the cards will have their original Citi names, and yes, you can tell your cards a W or WE. The W, as being reported doz times, would has World in the name while the WE would NOT have the word of World in the name.

It is just a 10 second or less job to check your Profile where you can tell if your card is converted or not. I would not give up nickname the cards just to save that 10 seconds each time I want to know if the card is converted yet.

Talk about the conversion, DH's No.3 was opened on 11/03 and has not been converted yet. Not sure if it is because we used pre-qual versus 4c, or because it has only 4.5k line versus 5K. However based on reports the minimum line on WE is 2K only when people tried to lower the lines on their WEs they were told the lowest would be 2K.

Recent posts on approvals are as low as 1.5K. However on the WE cards the lowest one could go is 2K.
My #3 was opened on 11/6, using link 4c, with a credit limit of $7000. It has not been converted yet. Just wanted you and others to have my datapoint. I'm not in a rush, I'll apply for #4 when #3 gets W->WE conversion.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 7:52 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by Happy
...Recent posts on approvals are as low as 1.5K. However on the WE cards the lowest one could go is 2K.
Good point - and a question...

I was one of those who got approved with a measly 1.5K CL. I plan to knock out the min spend in the first statement.

I also have a very recent CitiBiz card, which received my usual 20K CL. I just completed the minimum spend on that. After the statement closes, I pay it off, and see the miles credited to my AA account (probably within the next 10-14 days), I plan to lower the CL on the recent biz card down to 2K.

To facilitate the future conversion of my newest W MC (with a current CL of just 1.5K), I assume it would be prudent to explicitly request an INcrease in the CL on that card (that would be uncharacteristic, since I've only asked citi to reduce CLs before ) - any thoughts on that? That is, would I improve the chances of that card getting upgraded to WE if I request a credit increase, or would it be better to just allow them to do that (increase CL) in their own sweet time (do they do that)? Does a CL increase result in a HP?

For that matter, what's the collective wisdom/speculation on what seems to trigger the upgrade from W to WE?

Any input welcomed. Thanks!
Old Dec 22, 2015, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by nwflyboy
Good point - and a question...

I was one of those who got approved with a measly 1.5K CL. I plan to knock out the min spend in the first statement.

I also have a very recent CitiBiz card, which received my usual 20K CL. I just completed the minimum spend on that. After the statement closes, I pay it off, and see the miles credited to my AA account (probably within the next 10-14 days), I plan to lower the CL on the recent biz card down to 2K.

To facilitate the future conversion of my newest W MC (with a current CL of just 1.5K), I assume it would be prudent to explicitly request an INcrease in the CL on that card (that would be uncharacteristic, since I've only asked citi to reduce CLs before ) - any thoughts on that? That is, would I improve the chances of that card getting upgraded to WE if I request a credit increase, or would it be better to just allow them to do that (increase CL) in their own sweet time (do they do that)? Does a CL increase result in a HP?

For that matter, what's the collective wisdom/speculation on what seems to trigger the upgrade from W to WE?

Any input welcomed. Thanks!
No need to increase CL. September churn had all 4 accounts converted no matter CL,min spend,app link or any other factor. One of the accounts had 1.5 CL, the others had larger limits. The feeling is that they do it in batches and that they just sweep across the bunch of accounts almost randomly and I would not apply any methodology to the process.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.