Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2015, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
I am pretty sure MadMadso's No.1 at product conversion is already a WE. Note that she is the champ on the succession of getting the 50K bonus, right now at No.5. Given we all know that unless W to WE happens, no way one can get another bonus. Therefore it is a given No.1 has already been a WE when she product converted to something else.

When the No.1 went thru product conversion has no bearing on No.5. I remember she posted that she applied a new W as soon as she is sure the preceding W has converted to WE, even before the physical card arrives. That is how she could reach No.5 within this year given we did not know this loophole working for sure until Mar or Apr this year.

Yes, we have a few posts over the course of the year about closing a WE does not affect getting bonus on a W, provided all the existing cards are now WE before applying the W again.
You are exactly right Happy. Thanks for answering as I am so sporadic about getting on FT. All my platinums (1-4) have converted to WE. My first WE platinum I just converted to a double cash - thank you for that idea - and I am waiting for #5 to physically arrive. Then I am going to close # 2.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by philemer
Just because you got an offer in the mail doesn't mean you will be approved and also doesn't mean you will necessarily get the bonus miles. The banks send those out all the time. Since you closed accts w/in the last 18 months my 'guess' is you will not get the bonus miles. If you can stand a hard pull go ahead and try though. YMMV of course.
This offer does not have 18months language. Atleast I could not find it.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 7:40 am

Good to hear, I'll probably end up closing #2, #3, and #4 as soon as my fifth arrives (hopefully pre Christmas).
Old Dec 18, 2015, 1:18 pm

Programs: Spg Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by chunky649
I asked a similar question and received no response other than "read the thread"...

Data point: I cancelled my AA Gold WE card a few weeks earlier this month, then ~3 days later, applied again for the AA Gold W card and got approved (needed to call and hold for 10 minutes....no questions asked), got approved over the phone and was verbally told that I will get the 25K miles after $750 spending. When I got my card 1 week later, there was a letter with a statement to the same effect.

I plan on applying for a PLAT W card in the very near future... (The difference here is that I just met my spending limit and did not get my sign up bonus yet, so I can't cancel.)

Update: Approved for a new PLAT W card, but the operator did not tell me about any perks or sign-up bonus. I'll wait for the card to see if I get the letter...

You will get the letter separately and IIRC before you get the card .
Old Dec 18, 2015, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Looked through the past two pages. Just applied for an AA card and the agent reviewing my application said I will get the 50K with 3K spend. I don't remember when I closed my previous AA card, so wondering if I am eligible for the bonus based on what the agent said.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan
Looked through the past two pages. Just applied for an AA card and the agent reviewing my application said I will get the 50K with 3K spend. I don't remember when I closed my previous AA card, so wondering if I am eligible for the bonus based on what the agent said.
The authoritative answer will come in a separate letter. Even if you don't remember the closing date, do you remember anything about the previous card? Was it a Platinum? Was it a Visa or Amex? Was it upgraded to World Elite?
Old Dec 18, 2015, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA Fan
The agents can only see what offer you have applied. They have NO KNOWLEDGE on your Eligibility of the bonus. The system will know whether you are eligible or not based on when you opened/closed the identical card in the past.

The information will be in the Approval Letter - if you are eligible, the 50K will be mentioned in the letter. If you are not, such language will be absent.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 10:29 am

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
When a converted W-WE card is closed/product converted to avoid paying the AF, does that prevent us from getting new bonuses on future W-WE apps? I guess what I'm asking is, do all closures/product conversions reset 18 month clock, and if so, what are y'all doing if you're not offered a good retention bonus? Are you just paying the AF so that you can keep collecting the W-WE conversion bonuses? Thanks for your help.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Preacher7
When a converted W-WE card is closed/product converted to avoid paying the AF, does that prevent us from getting new bonuses on future W-WE apps? I guess what I'm asking is, do all closures/product conversions reset 18 month clock, and if so, what are y'all doing if you're not offered a good retention bonus? Are you just paying the AF so that you can keep collecting the W-WE conversion bonuses? Thanks for your help.
Cards that are closed after they were definitely converted from W to WE do not reset the 18 month clock. Cards that are closed while they are still definitely W do reset the 18 month clock.

There is fuzziness about when exactly Citi considers the cards converted W to WE, for the purpose of not resetting the 18 month clock, so we can say what happens if it definitely hasn't been converted, and we can say what happens if it definitely has been converted, but we can't say anything for sure about times when "maybe" it's been converted already or "maybe" not yet.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 11:25 am

How do you tell if your card has been converted from W to WE before receiving the new card in the mail?
Old Dec 20, 2015, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by michael_v
How do you tell if your card has been converted from W to WE before receiving the new card in the mail?
This is what your World card Reads when you log in

Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World MasterCard® -xxxx

This is what it reads when it's World Elite:

Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® -xxxx
Old Dec 20, 2015, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by ninim2200
This is what your World card Reads when you log in

Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World MasterCard® -xxxx

This is what it reads when it's World Elite:

Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® -xxxx
Thanks!
Old Dec 21, 2015, 6:46 am

Dh was just approved for his second Platinum Select WC. Got the first Oct 16th and it was converted to a WE not long after the first statement cut.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 11:47 am

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but my card was converted to WE a few weeks back, and I've already met the $3k spend for the bonus. I'm going to be spending another $3k on plane tickets in the next few weeks, and figured I might as well take advantage of the offers and grab another Platinum card.

My question is, should I lower my CL immediately on the first card (currently at $11.5k)? If so, how long should I wait to apply for the new card? I intend to purchase the tickets in January, so I don't want to wait too long. I just don't want to apply for the card and receive a limit that wouldn't allow me to put all 3 tickets on the same purchase.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 12:43 pm

What is the consensus on how far Citi looks back on hard pulls? 6 months or a year?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.