Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2015, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by Happy
Could you give more details on the time line as you said you got bonuses on 2 cards AFTER your first MC-W (unconverted) - did the MC-W was open 18 months ago before you applied again? If that was the case whether it is converted or not, does not make any difference as you have satisfied the timeline. Otherwise, that is something the community has not known that a less than 18 months old W would not interfere for subsequent bonus.

Did the first MC ever convert to WE eventually? and if so, how is the timeline in relation to the 2 subsequent cards that successfully earned bonuses?

Your clarification would be very helpful because it is quite confusing to me and I would imagine to others as well.

My first MC-W was in 2013, I waited 18+ months for the 2nd application which was converted to WE within 2 months. Then applied for 3rd which again got converted to WE within 2 months.

From what I have gathered only MC-W's that were opened somewhere in early to mid 2015 onwards get converted to WE. So my first one from 2013 always stayed an MC-W.

If you have an unconverted MC-W you would have to wait 18 months (or for an automatic WE conversion) before a new application to get the new bonus.

Here is my complete timeline
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...l#post25818952
Old Dec 9, 2015, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by PETERPNYC
I have a $10K CL On my 5 month old HH reserve and 21K CL on AA Biz card .
Do you guys think reducing the Biz card also would improve my chances of getting auto approved .
Just got approved for my 3rd card via recon early November and when I get back home in a week want to activate it and hope it converts .
Would like to avoid recon.
Still afraid to cancel my 2 older WE cards, prefer to not rock the boat for the moment .
Citi looks at your total credit with them including business. Lower the credit limits that you don't use, wait a few weeks, and you will be auto approved for more next time. I keep most of mine at $5k. Also, you should pay all but 1 credit card balance before the statement date so that all but one card reports a zero balance. That will keep your credit score high. (Just realized I combined your post and Cdancer20's post. I know you already know this stuff. Sorry)

Last edited by MadMadso; Dec 9, 2015 at 8:59 am Reason: Mix up
Old Dec 9, 2015, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by MadMadso
you should pay all but 1 credit card balance before the statement date so that all but one card reports a zero balance. That will keep your credit score high.
^ Yep, I used to pay everything off before the statement closed. The moment I let a card close with a balance, I think it was only a few $100, my FICO, which hadn't changed in months, jumped up 4 points. Counter-intuitive, but seems to be true.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 10:55 am

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
I am frustrated with Citi right now, and want to post the experience. I have a significant charge coming up on Dec. 10 that I knew about weeks in advance. Here is the timeline:

11/24: Applied for AA MC, immediately spoke with recon rep. Moved credit line around, was told I was approved and would receive the card in 7 - 10 days.

11/29: I never got a confirmation e-mail or anything, so I check app status. The app was never approved. So I call recon again. The credit line was moved from another card, but the first agent never finished the process. I told this agent about my charge on 12/10. She assures me I will have the card in time.

12/7: No card yet, so I call an agent. She says the card has been mailed out, and she assures me I will get it in time for the charge. Citi did not offer to expedite.

12/9: Mail has come, with no card. I call Citi, and there is no way for me to get it by 9 am on 12/10.

I had 3 different agents telling me this wouldn't be a problem. I am really annoyed with Citi right now. I will not be putting that charge on any Citi card. I could, but I won't. I have the Double Cash, but I also have a 2% Fidelity Amex. This charge is going on the Fidelity Amex because I am ticked off at Citi.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by cdancer20
Only $1.8k. The $2k was just an auto CLI on another card. My total CL isn't that high esp compared to my income and others. I think I just need to clean up some things on my credit report before next time. (i.e. accidently letting cards close too high.)
Ah, sorry. I missed the I on the end of CLI. My bad.

Originally Posted by PETERPNYC
I have a $10K CL On my 5 month old HH reserve and 21K CL on AA Biz card .
Do you guys think reducing the Biz card also would improve my chances of getting auto approved .
Just got approved for my 3rd card via recon early November and when I get back home in a week want to activate it and hope it converts .
Would like to avoid recon.
Still afraid to cancel my 2 older WE cards, prefer to not rock the boat for the moment .
Yes. Reduce the CL on your business card. Assuming everything else is good, this will (most likely - no guarantees) make the difference between having to call recon or not.

This is just my rule, but I generally reduce the CL on any new cards (that I don't need a high CL on)not long after I meet the minimum spend and pay it off.

You can keep track of the amount of credit Citi offers you on each card, and how much you have already available on currently open/recently closed cards. If you do that for a few rounds of new cards, you can come up with a pretty solid number as to how much total credit Citi is willing to extend to you across all your accounts. That way you can know going in to an app that you're not going to come up short on available credit. I definitely prefer going into an app knowing that I have 25k in available credit, rather than hoping I've got enough. This works (to some extent) with any bank, not just Citi.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by JoyRider
Quick question,

Have you been closing your business cards before re-applying or have you had any luck with getting a new business card while the old one was still open?

Thanks
I've always closed the old card first. It's amazing that they keep approving them, honestly. I should note that I don't apply every 95 days - it's usually more like 5-6 months between apps.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by chasewalker
Checked this morning and now my 2nd card reads as just Platinum Select. I'll wait until I receive the new card before applying for #3.
Just applied for #3 and was approved using pre-qual offer with $15.5k CL.

my timeline:

Plat #1: 7/31/2015 ($1,500 CL)
Plat #2: 10/8/2015 ($9,100 CL)
Plat #3: 12/9/2015 ($15,500 CL)
Old Dec 9, 2015, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Willbur
I don't believe anybody has confirmed a WE off the bat when actually receiving the card for the first time. ..
A little different situation, but when one of my Visas was converted to MC, it came as a World Elite.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 4:48 pm

If my wife has a Citi Plat World which she opened over 18 months ago(still open) she would be eligible to the 50k AA bonus if she applied for the same exact card, correct?
Old Dec 9, 2015, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kannon99
Ok thanks, I had asked the CSR online if the card I have now was the orignal one sent out and she said yes. I would think their systems can show if new cards had been sent out.
What she told you was, it was the same AAdvantage Mastercard, with the same card number too. In the system, it is the SAME card because there is no change of card type - AAdvantage Mastercard, nor the card number!

World and World Elite are only different levels of benefits as far as Mastercard is concerned. They are not different card types like a Visa versus MC versus AMEX.

Usually higher level cards get World Elite type such as the Club card, the Exec card and the Prestige TYP, Premier TYP cards - they are World Elite from the start. Regular AAdvantage has not come out as a World Elite card as we all remember. The W to WE is very much a phenomena since the beginning of THIS YEAR.

Unless you are 100% sure the card you have on hand now is the original card you received, otherwise, chances are you dont remember it has been replaced with WE after you received the WE, activated it and threw away the W.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 7:11 pm

Question: I've been doing the same with Platinum had 3 already for both me and a my wife. is it safe to close them after they convert to WE or will that reset my 18 months clock even for regular platinum applications, any data points?
Old Dec 9, 2015, 9:33 pm

WE Lower Limit $2K?

Tried to lower WE card to $1000 and received this response:

Subject: Re: Reduce Credit Line
Date: December 9, 2015 x:xx EST

Dear Valued Customer,

We appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

We are unable to decrease the credit limit on your Citi AA Platinum account to the amount you requested because the minimum credit limit for this account is $2000.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by hi-guy
Tried to lower WE card to $1000 and received this ...................
We are unable to decrease the credit limit on your Citi AA Platinum account to the amount you requested because the minimum credit limit for this account is $2000.
The lowest they allowed me to do is $2,000, i don't believe they allow 1,000 on this card.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by James Ben
Question: I've been doing the same with Platinum had 3 already for both me and a my wife. is it safe to close them after they convert to WE or will that reset my 18 months clock even for regular platinum applications, any data points?
In my experience closing WE won't affect apply for W.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by ninim2200
The lowest they allowed me to do is $2,000, i don't believe they allow 1,000 on this card.
That's correct. $2k is the lowest CL available for the platinum card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.