Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Old Dec 8, 2015, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aabey D'mello
The prequal offer never showed up for me and yet I have applied for a total of 2 cards after my first MC-W (unconverted). Both have given me the 50K bonus and now converted to MC-WE. The AA prequal offer still doesn't show up.
Could you give more details on the time line as you said you got bonuses on 2 cards AFTER your first MC-W (unconverted) - did the MC-W was open 18 months ago before you applied again? If that was the case whether it is converted or not, does not make any difference as you have satisfied the timeline. Otherwise, that is something the community has not known that a less than 18 months old W would not interfere for subsequent bonus.

Did the first MC ever convert to WE eventually? and if so, how is the timeline in relation to the 2 subsequent cards that successfully earned bonuses?

Your clarification would be very helpful because it is quite confusing to me and I would imagine to others as well.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by MadMadso
But it works like clockwork for me and I'm on #5. So YMMV.
Are you on #5 yourself or total with you and your spouse? Curious to when we may hit resistance. I have 3 and wife has 3...hoping #3's get converted soon to try again in a month.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by cdancer20
Ouch! She said she didn't want to?!? Yea I'd be pissed. I was actually only approved for 1.8k on this card and assumed I could move CL later. However I really didn't care since I don't plan to use this card much after miles post. Funny thing is that a month later, I get approved for a higher CL on a different card. You would think that I hit some limit before and now magically it's available. Oh yeah I forget to mention that a week after I got my $1.8k CL, Citi gave me an auto CLI of $2k on another card.
1.8k and 2k CLs? You need to reduce the CLs on some of your existing Citi cards before your next app (preferably 6-8 weeks out). You're hitting your hard limit with Citi.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by epaairnow
Are you on #5 yourself or total with you and your spouse? Curious to when we may hit resistance. I have 3 and wife has 3...hoping #3's get converted soon to try again in a month.
I'm not the person you were asking, but for what it's worth: we're currently on Plat #11 (between the two of us). Will be going for 12 & 13 within the next month or so. We also had 10 Execs while they were giving them out like candy, and that was small time compared to some people. We're also on Biz #7. So I wouldn't worry too much about any real resistance.

If you do get any resistance due to the number of cards you've had, it's definitely a HUCA situation - that rep is having a bad day and taking it out on you, or something.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 2:27 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by bobert24
1.8k and 2k CLs? You need to reduce the CLs on some of your existing Citi cards before your next app (preferably 6-8 weeks out). You're hitting your hard limit with Citi.
Only $1.8k. The $2k was just an auto CLI on another card. My total CL isn't that high esp compared to my income and others. I think I just need to clean up some things on my credit report before next time. (i.e. accidently letting cards close too high.)
Old Dec 8, 2015, 4:42 pm

I'm not the person you were asking, but for what it's worth: we're currently on Plat #11 (between the two of us). Will be going for 12 & 13 within the next month or so. We also had 10 Execs while they were giving them out like candy, and that was small time compared to some people. We're also on Biz #7. So I wouldn't worry too much about any real resistance.

If you do get any resistance due to the number of cards you've had, it's definitely a HUCA situation - that rep is having a bad day and taking it out on you, or something.
Quick question,

Have you been closing your business cards before re-applying or have you had any luck with getting a new business card while the old one was still open?

Thanks
Old Dec 8, 2015, 5:26 pm

Citi is offering a Platinum Select card with a 40k miles sign-up bonus, along with a $100 statement credit if you are booking an American Airlines flight. I called in to see if I check if any 50k miles + $100 statement credit offers were available and was told there weren't any. I'd like to pull the trigger on this, to offset the cost of a flight I waited a little too long to book, but not for only 40k miles. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience signing up for this particular offer, then persuading a CSR to match them to 50k miles?

Thanks
Old Dec 8, 2015, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by Habbit
Citi is offering a Platinum Select card with a 40k miles sign-up bonus, along with a $100 statement credit if you are booking an American Airlines flight. I called in to see if I check if any 50k miles + $100 statement credit offers were available and was told there weren't any. I'd like to pull the trigger on this, to offset the cost of a flight I waited a little too long to book, but not for only 40k miles. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience signing up for this particular offer, then persuading a CSR to match them to 50k miles?

Thanks
People here mention that they get matched to some 60k offer, so might as well go for that one. 60k AA pts + $100 would be nice!
Old Dec 8, 2015, 6:05 pm

Is it possible to be issued a World Elite right off the bat? I applied for my last Platinum in 3/15 and as far I can tell it was always a WE. A online chat citi confirms this. So I would think I could sit get around the loop hole as the system shows me as having a WE and a new card would be a W.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by kannon99
Is it possible to be issued a World Elite right off the bat? I applied for my last Platinum in 3/15 and as far I can tell it was always a WE. A online chat citi confirms this. So I would think I could sit get around the loop hole as the system shows me as having a WE and a new card would be a W.
I don't believe anybody has confirmed a WE off the bat when actually receiving the card for the first time. A few people have suggested such much after the fact, similar to your experience. But I don't believe anybody has, for example, applied 12/1/15 and received card 12/8/15 and posted confirming they received WE immediately. Everyone suggesting such has *thought* they were probably given WE immediately because they don't remember a W->WE conversion.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by Willbur
I don't believe anybody has confirmed a WE off the bat when actually receiving the card for the first time. A few people have suggested such much after the fact, similar to your experience. But I don't believe anybody has, for example, applied 12/1/15 and received card 12/8/15 and posted confirming they received WE immediately. Everyone suggesting such has *thought* they were probably given WE immediately because they don't remember a W->WE conversion.
Ok thanks, I had asked the CSR online if the card I have now was the orignal one sent out and she said yes. I would think their systems can show if new cards had been sent out.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 10:40 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Elite; Hyatt Platinum; SPG Preferred+; Club Carlson Gold; SW CP
Originally Posted by sdsearch
I've found that most bloggers think that 50k is a "limited time" offer. Few of them want to say that you to go to FlyerTalk to find better offers than the Citi / AA sites show (and they usually show just 30k or so).

Most bloggers don't even know (or at least don't publicize) the awayN/travelN/milesN trick of finding them without going to FlyerTalk, because they get commissions on promoting the "official" link.

So the bloggers will probably shut up once the 50k offer goes away from the main Citi page and from AA's main page. I don't think they can get commissions on awayN/travelN/milesN offers!
I have a non-affiliate link to 50k offer on my blog. I agree with the sentiment of your post but to be fair, AA does advertise at least some of the 50k offers as "limited time" offers.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 2:56 am

Programs: Spg Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
I have a $10K CL On my 5 month old HH reserve and 21K CL on AA Biz card .
Do you guys think reducing the Biz card also would improve my chances of getting auto approved .
Just got approved for my 3rd card via recon early November and when I get back home in a week want to activate it and hope it converts .
Would like to avoid recon.
Still afraid to cancel my 2 older WE cards, prefer to not rock the boat for the moment .
Old Dec 9, 2015, 7:35 am

Pre-Qualified offers

Are there any recent data points on Pre-Qualified offers?

A Platinum Select card is showing up for me under you're Pre-Qualified to apply for the following credit card offers. The Terms and conditions state This offer is only valid for new accounts and there is no 18 month language. My last Citi/AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard was cancelled in June & there was no W-WE conversion on that card.

Has anyone applied for a pre-qual card and received the bonus who otherwise would not qualify under 18 month rule?

Thanks!
Old Dec 9, 2015, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by epaairnow
#5 just for me within the year. My spouse has fewer because we were also getting Hilton, Thank You, etc.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.