Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2015, 7:26 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by NTP9766
2. The Citi AAdvantage Platinum card I got in November was just converted to WE last week
Definitely no rhyme or reason to why they convert. I got my card at the end of October and still nothing. However, I'm not overly concerned yet since I have to wait until end of the month to apply again (65 days).
Old Dec 7, 2015, 8:01 am

I am tempted to go for my 4th AA card but thinking of closing an older AA visa first (which looks as if it will not affect the 18 month rule)

1/13 AA Visa (Still Open)
8/13 AA Visa (Still Open, may close this one)
3/15 AA MC (Still Open) Card is an WE, unknown when it converted

So after reading all the info I should be good to go. Also have numerous other open and closed non AA citi accounts but none that would affect the 8/65 rule.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by cdancer20
Definitely no rhyme or reason to why they convert. I got my card at the end of October and still nothing. However, I'm not overly concerned yet since I have to wait until end of the month to apply again (65 days).
I have a MC that Citi converted from a Visa over 6 months ago that is still just a World. Totally a YMMV situation.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 9:09 am

I called Citi to move CL from my other cards to the new AA Plat opened a week or so ago and two reps told me that this can't be done. Anyone did anything like that recently? We went as far as decreasing CL on one of the other cards by $3k, but were not able to increase CL on the AA card without having to pull credit report.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by DiMAn0684
I called Citi to move CL from my other cards to the new AA Plat opened a week or so ago and two reps told me that this can't be done. Anyone did anything like that recently? We went as far as decreasing CL on one of the other cards by $3k, but were not able to increase CL on the AA card without having to pull credit report.
That's correct. You can't move CL from one card to another with Citi, at least not without a hard pull. The only time you can move credit lines is if you have to call recon for an app - the recon agent can move some of the line from one card to your new one without an additional hard pull.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by bobert24
That's correct. You can't move CL from one card to another with Citi, at least not without a hard pull. The only time you can move credit lines is if you have to call recon for an app - the recon agent can move some of the line from one card to your new one without an additional hard pull.
Thank you! I did that during application process, was hoping to increase CL a bit more, but what I have is enough for now.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 11:09 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by bobert24
Yea I was sad to read about this recently too. I had planned to combine CL into my AA Exec for bank acct funding. Unfortunately it seems like that won't be an option. Funny thing is that they should train her CSRs. I asked the application rep if regular CSR could combine after the fact and she didn't even know! Said all she knows is that she can do it. You would think that they would share this common knowledge amongst depts.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 2:01 pm

Programs: All of them, Katie
Originally Posted by cdancer20
Yea I was sad to read about this recently too. I had planned to combine CL into my AA Exec for bank acct funding. Unfortunately it seems like that won't be an option. Funny thing is that they should train her CSRs. I asked the application rep if regular CSR could combine after the fact and she didn't even know! Said all she knows is that she can do it. You would think that they would share this common knowledge amongst depts.
One time I asked a reconsideration rep to move some CL around after being approved. She said she was very busy that day and didn't want to, and suggested I call a regular rep after I receive the card who would be happy to do it. Of course, after I received the card, the regular rep couldn't do it without a hard pull and I was stuck with my 1k limit.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by micned
One time I asked a reconsideration rep to move some CL around after being approved. She said she was very busy that day and didn't want to, and suggested I call a regular rep after I receive the card who would be happy to do it. Of course, after I received the card, the regular rep couldn't do it without a hard pull and I was stuck with my 1k limit.
Ouch! She said she didn't want to?!? Yea I'd be pissed. I was actually only approved for 1.8k on this card and assumed I could move CL later. However I really didn't care since I don't plan to use this card much after miles post. Funny thing is that a month later, I get approved for a higher CL on a different card. You would think that I hit some limit before and now magically it's available. Oh yeah I forget to mention that a week after I got my $1.8k CL, Citi gave me an auto CLI of $2k on another card.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by luv2fly4free
sdsearch- thanks for your reply- yes, Platinum Select World MC that has NOT been converted to Elite (fee refunded last year after x spend but not this year). Credit score over 800. Help me understand the Elite path. Since I still have a little while to "back out" of the conversion to Bronze apparently, do you suggest I request an upgrade to Elite instead? (to increase the odds of having a shot at another signup bonus prior to the "new" 18 month rule kicking in)...I come from the old school of Citi Aadvantage cards when you could get them like cotton candy (with limited restrictions) and haven't really been active with them since the new rules have gone into effect, so I'm not 100% clear on all of the nuisances of the 18 month rule and the Elite path.
If you want, you could call Citi, mention that you heard that you know someone who applied for the same card and automatically got converted to a World Elite card, mention that you're interested in one of its benefits (like Avis Preferred Plus, for example) that are listed on this site:
and then ask if they know why you haven't gotten gotten converted to World Elite and can you get converted.

We've never heard a datapoint yet on anyone asking for one and telling us the result, so you'd be the first. (And thus I have no idea whether it will work, but it can't work if you don't try, right? Just don't mention the churning reason for the World Elite card obviously, mention of the official benefits it offers instead.)
Old Dec 7, 2015, 4:43 pm

Talking

Originally Posted by travelpye
Does anyone have experience or knowledge of this?
I checked Citi for pre approved offers in preparation for applying for a new Citi AA plat, as my last one was converted from W to WE after opening. I had no pre-approved offers, none at all for Citi, so was concerned about applying. But on reflection, I recall that years ago, late 1990s, I had opted out with the 3 main credit bureaus from pre-approved offers.
Would the mechanism Citi would use for checking for preapproved offers at my request be blocked as well by my opt out? The opt out does not prevent banks from checking my CR if I apply, it isn't like a freeze in that respect.

In case you are wondering, I did the opt out long before I discovered Flyertalk and after I had learned about identity theft risk from pre approved offers being stolen from one's mailbox.

My credit score is 800+ and I have only 11 pulls for 24 months on the bureau Citi pulls for me, so not sure what else would prevent my being pre approved for any Citi cards.
I applied using link 4 c. Got the message to call in. Moved credit and approved. Got the letter today stating 50k bonus. Very happy.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by kannon99
I am tempted to go for my 4th AA card but thinking of closing an older AA visa first (which looks as if it will not affect the 18 month rule)

1/13 AA Visa (Still Open)
8/13 AA Visa (Still Open, may close this one)
3/15 AA MC (Still Open) Card is an WE, unknown when it converted

So after reading all the info I should be good to go. Also have numerous other open and closed non AA citi accounts but none that would affect the 8/65 rule.
Make sure you lower your credit line to the lowest possible (1k I think) before you close your card. Otherwise your credit gets hung up for months.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by sftong
Yes, it has been the practice in my household. In fact, me and wife rotate through a few business cards in each year at the same address. But we did not apply at the exact dates, just space out a few months to each other, and close the card once the 1 year annual date is near.
Have you received the bonuses recently? I just got the approval letter and it doesn't mention the 50k miles .
Old Dec 7, 2015, 6:10 pm
Suspended

Has anyone tried moving credit around before activating a new card — i.e., by calling in and talking to a person rather than using the online/phone/app activation? I can't remember where, but I've read at least one report of someone moving credit around post-approval and pre-activation, without another hard pull.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MadMadso
Yes. Two conversions for me, one for my spouse.
When were the applications done, Oct or Nov?

Were they from 4c or from pre-qual?

Has anyone used pre-qual or outside 4c link still gets conversion?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.