Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2015, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by rocklline
I got the Citi AA Business 50K miles about 6 months ago. If I want to apply for another one in about 3 months should I close my current business card now or close it after I apply for the new card.
Close it now. According to the terms you won't receive the offer on the second card if the first is still open.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 8:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ketawa
I tested out the pre-approval page. Very strange. I said that I was most interested in travel benefits. The message at the top:

"_______, we couldn't match your records to a Pre-Qualified credit card offer. See below for 4 other cards you may like."

Then it shows the standard 50k offer for the Platinum Select. Then below it:

"You may also be interested in these credit cards."

And then the offers for the ThankYou Premier, ThankYou Preferred, Simplicity, and Diamond Preferred cards. They would seem to be the other 4 credit cards.

I may have opted out of receiving pre screened offers years ago on my credit report, but I have received mailers occasionally. Although it's possible that they were for standard offers, not actual pre-approvals; it's been a while so I can't remember.

Any thoughts? I should be eligible for the Platinum Select offer and planned to apply regardless of what the pre-approval page said.
Either you opted out, in which case you'll never have any pre-approvals at such sites, or your credit didn't meet their standards for a pre-approval.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 10:39 pm
D93

Originally Posted by D93
Applied using link 4c a month ago. SM'ed on Friday asking for 60k match, they responded with in an hour and matched me
Originally Posted by PaulMSN
How did you word the SM? I just received a card for 50K, and 10K more would not be a bad thing.
"HI, I recently applied for the card with a 50k bonus, however I just received in the mail a 60k offer for the same card. Can you please match me"

Originally Posted by beltway
I take it you're referring to the targeted 60K mailers.

This, and how exactly did they say the match would be implemented:
  • automatically?
  • SM them again after you hit the spend target?
Spend was already completed at the time of the SM.
Will be added automatically on my next statement.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 10:44 pm
D93

5/15 - Approved for Plat W #1
7/15 - Plat W #1 converted to WE
10/15 - Approved for Plat W #2

Can i close my first Plat WE card or closing it will mess up my next W:WE conversion and churn?
Old Dec 1, 2015, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by D93

closing it will mess up my next W:WE conversion and churn?
Obviously, if you close it, it won't be converted to a WE, and you will have to wait just short of 18 months to apply again. If you keep it open, and it is converted to a WE, you can apply again right after that.

But bear in mind that there is no guarantee that it will be converted to WE, and that Citi may decide to close this loophole and change it's rules to no longer consider the W and the WE to be different products.

I'd say keep it open, and hope for a conversion, but it's clearly a judgment call....
Old Dec 1, 2015, 10:21 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by boris10475
On your online Citi profile there is a description of each particular card. If it says "Citi Aadvantage Platinum Select" then the card got to be WE. If there is a word "World" in the description, then the card got to be W
Good information! I'm nearing the end of month two so waiting (im)patiently for a conversation.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by jsk1973
If you have opted out, my understanding is that you shouldn't ever have any pre-approved offers at banks' pre-approval sites. There might be an exception for banks at which you already do business, but I'm not sure.

I, too, opted out long ago, and have never received a pre-approved offer at any of these sites. (I have a thin credit history after living abroad for years, but all of my reports are clean and I have $0 debt.) At most, I get the "you might like ..." or "we recommend ..." language.
Thank you.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by D93

Can i close my first Plat WE card or closing it will mess up my next W:WE conversion and churn?
Originally Posted by RobertHanson
Obviously, if you close it, it won't be converted to a WE........I'd say keep it open, and hope for a conversion, but it's clearly a judgment call....
The 1st card already converted to WE, so he can close the card without affecting the 2nd Platinum.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by ninim2200
The 1st card already converted to WE, so he can close the card without affecting the 2nd Platinum.
So closing WE, does not prevent a new W churn?
Old Dec 1, 2015, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by monkeywrencher
I'm also having this issue. But I have churned this card more recently than you have. The last time I had this card was June 2015.

Edit: My statement also closed on 11/27. I met the spend on 11/17.
My last 3 platinums have posted the bonus one month late. I called the first time. After the first time, I don't bother calling. I just wait the month and the points post.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by Sean54
So closing WE, does not prevent a new W churn?
The question was if closing the 1st WE will affect the 2nd (currently W) to convert to WE, in my family experience it didn't.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by Ketawa
I tested out the pre-approval page. Very strange. I said that I was most interested in travel benefits. The message at the top:

"_______, we couldn't match your records to a Pre-Qualified credit card offer. See below for 4 other cards you may like."

Then it shows the standard 50k offer for the Platinum Select. Then below it:

"You may also be interested in these credit cards."

And then the offers for the ThankYou Premier, ThankYou Preferred, Simplicity, and Diamond Preferred cards. They would seem to be the other 4 credit cards.

I may have opted out of receiving pre screened offers years ago on my credit report, but I have received mailers occasionally. Although it's possible that they were for standard offers, not actual pre-approvals; it's been a while so I can't remember.

Any thoughts? I should be eligible for the Platinum Select offer and planned to apply regardless of what the pre-approval page said.
I have never been preapproved, and I have a half dozen or so Citi cards. Watch the 8/65 and reduce your credit limits and you will be fine.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by ninim2200
I obviously misread the question.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by LWT3
My 50,000 bonus miles posted to my AAdvantage account today, so just one day after the 3,000 miles posted. I think with every other Citi card I've had or that my wife has had (about 30 total), the bonus miles/points and the spend miles/points posted at the same time, so the lag this time surprised me. But it's good to know I don't have to call American to ask them to look into it or open a case.
Unfortunately my 50k bonus is still MIA.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by boris10475
No wait, but it is better to close your WE card right after you got approved for a new W card, not before that
That's excellent advice for the future, but I already closed the WE.

Does anybody have a data point, whether closing WE affects a new W churn?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.