Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2015, 3:21 pm

I applied for Citi AA Plat MC received immediate rejection message "After careful consideration, we are unable to approve your application". This is my first citi card
application, called the reconsideration line from wiki but no go. Asked me to wait for the letter from citi for more details. Was just approved for chase CSP for 30K credit limit. My only option is write to the Executive Office?
Old Nov 26, 2015, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sheldor
I applied for Citi AA Plat MC received immediate rejection message "After careful consideration, we are unable to approve your application". This is my first citi card
application, called the reconsideration line from wiki but no go. Asked me to wait for the letter from citi for more details. Was just approved for chase CSP for 30K credit limit. My only option is write to the Executive Office?
Wait till the letter comes and see what is the reason - most likely that is caused by "credit is restricted" if it is instant denial. Did you ever have a credit card that had been inactive and eventually being closed by the issuer? It might be a card brand that Citi has bought. (Old AT&T for example).

Yes, write to the Exec Office once you see the reason of denial.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Wait till the letter comes and see what is the reason - most likely that is caused by "credit is restricted" if it is instant denial. Did you ever have a credit card that had been inactive and eventually being closed by the issuer? It might be a card brand that Citi has bought. (Old AT&T for example).

Yes, write to the Exec Office once you see the reason of denial.
No, I have never had a credit card which has been inactive and closed by the issuer.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by onehitrenegade
So I got upgraded from World MC to World Elite MC for my personal AA Platinum Select, I guess I can apply for it again. I also got approved for the Citi Business card last Saturday, so I just need to wait 8 days before applying again.

Couple of questions, not clear from the wiki.
1. When applying for Citi AA Platinum Personal MC again (due to getting the existing one upgraded to WEMC), it sounds like I can still have my existing AA Personal WEMC my open? Is that right?
2. At some point later, I want to product change my personal AA card into Double Cash. Would the product change count as closing the AA card and reset 18-month clock to start again?
1. Yes
2. There's not enough data points on this to give a good answer yet. But you'll have to wait at least a year from the date your card was opened in order to convert it.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 3:33 am
D93

Is Citi product changing the AA Gold from W to WE also?
Old Nov 27, 2015, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by D93
Yes.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by onehitrenegade
So I got upgraded from World MC to World Elite MC for my personal AA Platinum Select, I guess I can apply for it again. I also got approved for the Citi Business card last Saturday, so I just need to wait 8 days before applying again.

Couple of questions, not clear from the wiki.
1. When applying for Citi AA Platinum Personal MC again (due to getting the existing one upgraded to WEMC), it sounds like I can still have my existing AA Personal WEMC my open? Is that right?
2. At some point later, I want to product change my personal AA card into Double Cash. Would the product change count as closing the AA card and reset 18-month clock to start again?
1. Yes.

2. It might or might not. You're not choosing the best timing. The safest timing to close (or product convert) your previous card is right after you get approved for a new card of the same type ("same type" not counting W/WE differences) Then, if the W-WE loophole goes away, the 18 months since your last open (of the new card) will be essentially the same as the 18 from the close (of the old card). And product conversion may very well count as a close.

We don't have enough hard data to now for sure whether product conversions count as "close", and until the W->WE loophole goes away, we probably won't. That's because closing or product converting a WE while the W->WE loophole is in effect doesn't seem to count toward 18 months, but it may start counting once the W->WE loophole goes away).

So I suggest you either product convert (or just plain close) your existing WE right now, or wait until you've applied for your next Citi AA Plat (even if that turns out to be 18 months from now) before you product convert (or just plain close) your existing WE. Any other timing is riskier.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by D93
Originally Posted by ninim2200
Yes.
Except it's not considered a product change. It's simply an upgrade of the "level" of the card.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by bobert24
1. Yes
2. There's not enough data points on this to give a good answer yet. But you'll have to wait at least a year from the date your card was opened in order to convert it.
Originally Posted by sdsearch
1. Yes.

2. It might or might not. You're not choosing the best timing. The safest timing to close (or product convert) your previous card is right after you get approved for a new card of the same type ("same type" not counting W/WE differences) Then, if the W-WE loophole goes away, the 18 months since your last open (of the new card) will be essentially the same as the 18 from the close (of the old card). And product conversion may very well count as a close.

We don't have enough hard data to now for sure whether product conversions count as "close", and until the W->WE loophole goes away, we probably won't. That's because closing or product converting a WE while the W->WE loophole is in effect doesn't seem to count toward 18 months, but it may start counting once the W->WE loophole goes away).

So I suggest you either product convert (or just plain close) your existing WE right now, or wait until you've applied for your next Citi AA Plat (even if that turns out to be 18 months from now) before you product convert (or just plain close) your existing WE. Any other timing is riskier.
Thank you both for clearing that up. What you're saying makes perfect sense.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 10:19 am

Programs: AA Gold, AS, HA, CX, AF, BA, UA, HH
Originally Posted by elc2414
So, here's the update. My wife received her second W card (in less than 3 months) in the mail today (the one with the targeted 60,000 mile offer). Also in the mail was the "Account Approval Notice" for the aforementioned card. It clearly states: "Earn 60,000 American Airlines AAdvantage bonus miles after spending $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening." I activated the card and linked it to her online account, opened up the tracker link and it also says 60,000 bonus miles.

Now, here's something else interesting. She has already been credited with the 50,000 mile bonus from the card that has been open a little over 2 months now, even though she is about $140 short of the required $3,000 spend.

This is going to be interesting to see if Citi catches this and claws back any of the 110,000 miles my wife will have earned.

Update to the update:
My wife has received the 50,000 mile bonus earned on the first W card from about 3 months ago. Still working on the spend requirement for the 60,000 mile bonus for the 2nd W card she received a few weeks ago. When I go to the Citi account details page for the newest card and look at her Reward Summary it clearly shows she is working on the 60,000 mile bonus. However, when I go to the account details page for the first W card she received, the Reward Summary simply isn't there, just as it doesn't show up for her closed accounts. I checked my Citi account and the Reward Summary does show on every card's account details page except for the accounts that have been closed.

Anyone have thoughts on this? Are they getting ready to claw back the miles? Right after she received the 2nd W card with the 60,000 mile bonus, when I went online and activated it and linked it to her Citi account page both cards' details page showed the Account Summary, with the first showing she had earned the 50,000 mile bonus and the second one showing she would earn 60,000 miles.

Last edited by elc2414; Nov 27, 2015 at 11:17 am
Old Nov 27, 2015, 10:34 am

Most may not care about this, but one month after receiving my Platinum card with the 50k mile bonus, I received a targeted 60k mile offer. I called Citi and just asked them to bump up my offer to 60k to save us both the hassle of opening a new card, and within 2 weeks they got back to me informing me that they added 10k miles to my account (not as an addition to my bonus, but directly to my account). 10k miles was worth the 2 minute conversation for me.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 11:19 am

Update to the update:
My wife has received the 50,000 mile bonus earned on the first W card from about 3 months ago. Still working on the spend requirement for the 60,000 mile bonus for the 2nd W card she received a few weeks ago. When I go to the Citi account details page for the newest card and look at her Reward Summary it clearly shows she is working on the 60,000 mile bonus. However, when I go to the account details page for the first W card she received, the Reward Summary simply isn't there, just as it doesn't show up for her closed accounts. I checked my Citi account and the Reward Summary does show on every card's account details page except for the accounts that have been closed.

Anyone have thoughts on this? Are they getting ready to claw back the miles? Right after she received the 2nd W card with the 60,000 mile bonus, when I went online and activated it and linked it to her Citi account page both cards' details page showed the Account Summary, with the first showing she had earned the 50,000 mile bonus and the second one showing she would earn 60,000 miles.
Just guessing here, but I'm thinking the reason the clock no longer shows for the first card is because the miles have already been earned and deposited. So there is nothing for the clock to be tracking anymore.

Three are almost no data points on Citi ever clawing anything back, with the possible exception of outright fraud. If someone was to meet their entire min spnd thru the purchase of a refundable FC AA ticket, and once they got the miles cancel the ticket, so no actual spend remained the on the card, they could quite possibly get a claw back. For anything short of that, I really don't think there is anything to worry about.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 11:33 am

Programs: AA Gold, AS, HA, CX, AF, BA, UA, HH
Originally Posted by RobertHanson
Just guessing here, but I'm thinking the reason the clock no longer shows for the first card is because the miles have already been earned and deposited. So there is nothing for the clock to be tracking anymore.

Three are almost no data points on Citi ever clawing anything back, with the possible exception of outright fraud. If someone was to meet their entire min spnd thru the purchase of a refundable FC AA ticket, and once they got the miles cancel the ticket, so no actual spend remained the on the card, they could quite possibly get a claw back. For anything short of that, I really don't think there is anything to worry about.
The only thing is (and this is the reason for my concern) if the Reward Summary shows up on every other open account, I wonder why it doesn't show up on the 3-month-old-50,000-mile account. I realize the clock would not be there. Not really talking about the clock not showing up - talking about the fact that NO summary shows up on that account as it does the other open accounts.....

Last edited by elc2414; Nov 27, 2015 at 11:53 am
Old Nov 27, 2015, 11:44 am

Programs: Delta SM, ICH PLAT
Sorry for asking what appears the same question again, but the explanations (and the Wiki) redirects and I want to be crystal clear and not mess things up:

I've recently (this summer) applied for the Gold (25K) World MC card and most recently (September) the PLAT (50K) World MC card. I received the upgraded "WE" gold cards about 1 month after meeting my spending and getting my bonus. With the PLAT card, I received the new "WE" card in about 1.5 months after receiving my original card, and before meeting my spending limit. I only met my spending limit for the PLAT card (with about half the spending on the newer "WE" card...if it matters)

Questions:

1. Assuming the loophole still exist, when can I apply for a new Gold MC? (which link?)
2. similar to #1, when can I apply for the PLAT MC? (which link?)
Old Nov 27, 2015, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The only thing is (and this is the reason for my concern) if the Reward Summary shows up on every other open account, I wonder why it doesn't show up on the 3-month-old-50,000-mile account. I realize the clock would not be there. Not really talking about the clock not showing up - talking about the fact that NO summary shows up on that account as it does the other open accounts.....
You mean the AA account balance does not show up on the 3-month-old card?

I would not be concerned on that as I have seen the AA balance completely missing from random cards before,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.