Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2015, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
My plan, on which there don't seem to be any datapoints yet, is:

Card 1 converted to WE. (done in my case)
Card 2 applied for and qualifies for bonus (done in my case)
Card 1 credit limit lowered. (done in my case)
Card 2 credit limit lowered. (done in my case)
Card 2 converted to WE. (done in my case)
Card 3 applied for (coming up this weekend probably)
Card 3 received and activated and verify bonus
Card 1 cancelled at this point (cards 2 and 3 kept open)

IOTW, my thinking is that if at least one or two WE cards are kept alive, cancelling other WE cards may not hurt. (The datapoint you mentioned involved cancelling the one and only WE card, and before getting card 2.) But we'll see.
A friend who I help out got the W last year, converted to WE early this year, closed in May. Opened new AA Plat a couple months ago and got the bonus without issue.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 1:53 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott
Is it time that there's a separate thread discussing W->WE conversions for this card, lol
Old Nov 10, 2015, 1:59 pm

Programs: Spg Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by kilton
Hello,

What are you folks seeing in terms of timeframes for AA to get the miles? My Citi account shows 53k miles sent to AA on October 10th, but I don't see them on aa.com yet.
Are you sure they have the correct account ? Did they perchance open a new account for you for your last card.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdsearch
On one of the AA flights I flew this weekend, they were hawking a 50k offer which they said came with 2 AC passes. Do any of the online offers currently feature that, or is the 2 AC passes exclusive to the offer only available at 30000 feet?
Shouldn't the handout of that offer has options for people to apply, either by phone or going online? Or it is only available on a form that you fill out and mail back? (can't imagine it would be the last case.)
Old Nov 10, 2015, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
It is a very hidden feature under the Reward Summary on the right hand side where it shows the AA logo and miles earned.
Click that Reward Summary, it will bring you to a screen where you see the tracker, both in words and in a Circle graphic.
It will tell you how many days have lapsed and how many days remain for you to earn the "Welcome Bonus".
Citi would also send you a reminder if 1/2 of the time has elapsed and you still haven't earned that bonus. Husband's card is not activated for 7 weeks after it was sent as we were on an extensive trip in Europe. I saw an email to remind him "you still have time to earn your Welcome Bonus" when we had 2 more weeks to come home. We did rush out to do the spend in 3 days once we got home, 3 weeks before the cut off.
Both the "circle graphic" and "you still have time" email are very lagging functions. The circle only updates itself at statement closing. I currently have a substantial balance on my card; the circle says I still need $3,000 more spend for my bonus. The email has been known to arrive even after the 53,000 miles are in my AA account!

The MOST useful feature is that it's another clear indication that the 50k bonus is coming. Like the Approval Letter by snail mail.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by Happy

The W to WE route is not unlimited - unless you start with only 1 or 2 citicards, otherwise pretty soon you would have enough number of citicards that could flag your account. You could lower the WE cards CL but as of now, very little data point, except 1, on the consequence of cancelling an WE card. The lone data point is a somewhat negative outcome. Card 1 converted to WE, canceled, Card 2 did not get bonus. Card 2 converted to WE, then kept open Card 3 got bonus.

Therefore even you can have 3, 4 dips on the W to WE, going to 5, 6 etc would become harder for those who also have other citicards that need to stay open.
What is the magic number? Do we know this information? If I mange my CL and have credit to spare, how many cards do I need to have to get flagged?
Old Nov 10, 2015, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by Denver Enzo
Both the "circle graphic" and "you still have time" email are very lagging functions. The circle only updates itself at statement closing. I currently have a substantial balance on my card; the circle says I still need $3,000 more spend for my bonus.

The MOST useful feature is that it's another clear indication that the 50k bonus is coming. Like the Approval Letter by snail mail.
Yes, it's been noted before that the circle updates only at each statement closing. Another useful feature, however, is that it tells you the exact date by which the $3,000 spend must be met.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Denver Enzo
Both the "circle graphic" and "you still have time" email are very lagging functions. The circle only updates itself at statement closing. I currently have a substantial balance on my card; the circle says I still need $3,000 more spend for my bonus. The email has been known to arrive even after the 53,000 miles are in my AA account!

The Time counter is accurate.
The spend is not updated until statement close. This has already been talked about before, especially by sdsearch.

Agree it does serve as a confirmation on whether one gets bonus or not, together with the snail mail. Therefore it is still a good new feature.

However the clock still can serve a purpose for those who dont keep track of their time frame carefully. There have been people came here to report they missed the deadline to meet spend and what to do then. I remember Citi was more lenient and still gave a poster the bonus even he missed by a week or so.

In fact right now there is a thread started in Chase forum that the poster missed his deadline by 10 days and Chase flatly told him to pound sand.

The email reminder is a good reminder for those who have not earned their bonus yet. It reminds people to check on their spend records. Not everyone rushes out to meet their spend in the first 2 days of getting the card. There are still folks who meet their spend by natural spend not MS. There are also folks who are out of the country before receiving their cards and not getting back until a good part of time has passed. In our case, we activated the card almost 2 months after it was sent because we were out of the country for almost 7 weeks plus not getting our mail piles until 4 days after we returned home. We actually called Citi to get a clearance for making a couple thousands dollar transaction on the first use because the card is only activated after being mailed 2 months ago before we headed out - this way we would have a smooth transaction and we did.

Originally Posted by MarkMColo
Yes, it's been noted before that the circle updates only at each statement closing. Another useful feature, however, is that it tells you the exact date by which the $3,000 spend must be met.
Exactly.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flyin2
What is the magic number? Do we know this information? If I mange my CL and have credit to spare, how many cards do I need to have to get flagged?
No idea but I would get a bit nervous when total cards reach to 7 or 8.

We also found out that canceled cards do NOT automatically drop off Citi system after cancellation. Dont know how long they stay viewable in one's profile. My guess is, it takes at least 9 to 12 months before they are gone.

2 reps on 2 different occasions saw all the HHonors cards canceled this year. In Aug the rep could not care less and just found the open card we wanted to move the CL to the new AA. In Nov the rep decided to go into the system and removed the canceled cards one by one, "before she could see his (my husband's) history and relationship with Citi". He has 6 open card before the latest AA. Now he has 7, 3 of them are AA. The other 4 cards are all cards that need to stay open.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by jsk1973
I got an offer in the mail today with a 60,000-mile bonus for a Platinum Select (no mention of World or World Elite). The card wasn't matched to a pre-qualified offer at Citi, though, so it looks like it's just a mass mailing to AA members. (It was, however, listed as the top suggestion by Citi when I plugged in my info.)

Offer expires Dec. 31. Not sure if I should apply for this or the Prestige first.
My mom got the 60K "seasonal" offer in the mail too for Platinum Select MC (no mention of World or World Elite either). She's never applied/inquired before but she is a general AA member with minimal activity. Requirements: spend $3K within 1st 3 months, $95 annual fee waived 1st yr, apply by 12/31/15. Pretty much the same, just that now there is No Foreign Transaction Fees.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by hotstepper
My mom got the 60K "seasonal" offer in the mail too for Platinum Select MC (no mention of World or World Elite either). She's never applied/inquired before but she is a general AA member with minimal activity. Requirements: spend $3K within 1st 3 months, $95 annual fee waived 1st yr, apply by 12/31/15. Pretty much the same, just that now there is No Foreign Transaction Fees.
Wife got the same offer today, similar pattern of usage. From what I can tell requires an offer code.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 8:00 pm

Approval letter for business card doesn't mention bonus

The wiki says
Business AA cards: have been churnable repeatedly by some people without restriction other than the general Citi application rules. Apply once every 91-95 days.

Note that beginning in late 2014, new Citi AA business card offers began including the explicit requirement that the applicant not be an existing AA business cardholder. However, this does not appear to have limited churning, yet.

For unknown reasons, some people have been unable to churn business cards at all. Some (but not all) people need to completely cancel their previous business account (send an SM or call and request that the account, ending in XXXX and the associated cards, ending in YYYY (etc.) be closed) before they can apply for another business card, regardless of the absence of restrictive offer language.
Just received my 2nd business AAdvantage card ever this week. For my 1st, I closed both my Master Account and the associated card in early 2014 (March). I thought I would be good to go for another business card, but I just received the approval letter, and it doesn't mention the bonus. I assume that means I won't get the bonus, correct? Did I get tripped up by the new language saying the bonus is only available to first time cardholders, or am I just one of the unlucky people who can't churn Citi business cards, period? I guess it's not that big of a deal -- just means I wasted one hard pull and $3K of MS. Still a little bummed though. This is the first time I've applied for a card without getting a bonus.

Last edited by LWT3; Nov 10, 2015 at 8:24 pm
Old Nov 10, 2015, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by LWT3
I thought I would be good to go for another business card, but I just received the approval letter, and it doesn't mention the bonus. I assume that means I won't get the bonus, correct?
See #8 in the Wiki; approval letter for business cards do not always mention bonus. You can SM to confirm the bonus.

Last edited by hi-guy; Nov 10, 2015 at 9:37 pm
Old Nov 10, 2015, 10:09 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott
Just got approved, although I had to shift some credit around. Should get my card in a week...hopefully it eventually gets converted to a WEMC....also, hopefully the fact that earlier this year (Q1) I downgraded my AA Plat Visa to a AA Bronze doesn't affect the ability to get the 50K..
Old Nov 11, 2015, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by hi-guy
See #8 in the Wiki; approval letter for business cards do not always mention bonus. You can SM to confirm the bonus.
Thanks. #8 in the wiki says refers to the application page rather than the approval letter, so it didn't jump out at me as addressing my question, but it's good to know I still might get the bonus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.