Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2015, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Regarding online notification of a new card coming:

Well, I've been looking on the main page (summary of all accounts), and on the card-specific summary page (I'm not sure which you mean by account summary), and I've never seen it either of those places this time. Just garbage about balance transfer offers or whatever.

Maybe it depends on what if anything else they want to show you in that space whether they show you the "new card being sent message", ie maybe the "new card being sent" is lower priority than other messages, so if they activate too many other messages it "hides" the "new card being sent" message?

Anyway, whatever the reason, whether you see that online notification or not seems to be YMMV, since I saw it for a previous card and knew to look for it but never saw it for my current card. (Of course, whether you get an email saying "World Elite" before you get the WE card itself may be YMMV too; we don't have much in way of timing datapoints other than mine on that yet, plus many people delete those emails without reading them.)
I too never saw a message on Citi.com,nor did I receive an email regarding it. The WE just showed up in the mail.
Based on info here on FT, I plan to wait until the AA card shows up in my pre-qualified cards before applying again.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by Denver Enzo
For those who have received the 60k/$3k targeted mailer: Can you provide any additional details as to offer terms: 18 month rule? Specific, private invitation number? How long the offer is valid?

And also regarding your personal status: Do you have open Platinum W or WE accounts? Is availability for the card showing on the "prequalified" page? Any AA ff status or other interesting facts?
One arrived today for the 20-y/o in my household who has never been the primary cardholder for any card, ever. As meecal says, there's a private invitation number. No 18-month restriction, but there is a rather opaque statement that if you're an existing Citi AA cardmember, you're not eligible for this offer on your current account.

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Regarding online notification of a new card coming:

Well, I've been looking on the main page (summary of all accounts), and on the card-specific summary page (I'm not sure which you mean by account summary), and I've never seen it either of those places this time.
I meant the former. Just checked & it's still showing on both of my converted cards (for which I haven't bothered activating the WE).
Old Nov 10, 2015, 1:38 am
Suspended

I got an offer in the mail today with a 60,000-mile bonus for a Platinum Select (no mention of World or World Elite). The card wasn't matched to a pre-qualified offer at Citi, though, so it looks like it's just a mass mailing to AA members. (It was, however, listed as the top suggestion by Citi when I plugged in my info.)

Offer expires Dec. 31. Not sure if I should apply for this or the Prestige first.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 1:44 am

Thumbs up

I got mine on Saturday. Just applied and got approved.

Originally Posted by jsk1973
I got an offer in the mail today with a 60,000-mile bonus for a Platinum Select (no mention of World or World Elite). The card wasn't matched to a pre-qualified offer at Citi, though, so it looks like it's just a mass mailing to AA members. (It was, however, listed as the top suggestion by Citi when I plugged in my info.)

Offer expires Dec. 31. Not sure if I should apply for this or the Prestige first.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 6:32 am

Programs: AA Gold, AS, HA, CX, AF, BA, UA, HH
Originally Posted by Happy
But did you ever receive an approval letter of the personal card, even it is not before the card arrival? If no, then you are the first reported such case.

As long as the letter has the correct wordings, I dont even bother to send SM for verification. No need to. Besides, online you would see the tracker telling you how many days left for you to earn the "Welcome Bonus".

As for canceling cards, if no desire to fish a retention offer, then SM is the choice.

Since you mentioned about cancelling cards, have you canceled a personal card within the past 18 months? If so, it was a W or WE? It would be very useful if you have canceled a WE card and then applied another MC then still get the bonus. Many readers follow this thread would love to know such data point.
<<But did you ever receive an approval letter of the personal card, even it is not before the card arrival? If no, then you are the first reported such case.>>
I really have no idea if I ever received any approval letters stating the amount of bonuses I would receive. Since I would have verified the bonus through SM, I wouldn't have paid any attention to the wording in the letters - just send them straight to the shredder. Be assured, however, I will definitely pay close attention to the wording of the approval letter for my wife's new card, should she get one. She has received an approval email already, but nothing in it about the bonus.

<<Since you mentioned about cancelling cards, have you canceled a personal card within the past 18 months? If so, it was a W or WE? >>
She has 2 cards showing on her online account that have both been cancelled within the last 18 months - one was W and one was Platinum Select VISA. .

<<Besides, online you would see the tracker telling you how many days left for you to earn the "Welcome Bonus".>>
I am looking at her online account right now, and the card she has had less than 3 months (currently in the second billing period) does not show any "tracker", and the card I opened 4 months ago didn't show one either. Where on the account page does the "tracker" show up? Could this be a browser specific issue? I use Chrome for Windows and Android.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 6:54 am

Programs: Spg Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Quick question. Is it better to apply for the card from the pre qualified link offered back in
post #3048, or 4c or any other link in the wiki . For all I know there may be a 60k offer waiting for me back home in the mail , but thats 40 days from now and things change too fast to wait till then.
Going to pull the trigger today
Thanks
Old Nov 10, 2015, 7:07 am

I still have my AAdvantage visa signature card. I have two visa signature cards and just closed one. I have applied for these two cards in 2012 but I don't remember if the cards always have been visa signature since 2012 or they used to be mastercard and got converted to visa signature at one point?

Anyway, like I mentioned I cancelled one of the cards today. If I apply for a new card which is a mastercard right now, I should get the bonus miles right?
Old Nov 10, 2015, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by IamHungry
I still have my AAdvantage visa signature card. I have two visa signature cards and just closed one. I have applied for these two cards in 2012 but I don't remember if the cards always have been visa signature since 2012 or they used to be mastercard and got converted to visa signature at one point?

Anyway, like I mentioned I cancelled one of the cards today. If I apply for a new card which is a mastercard right now, I should get the bonus miles right?
Based on time (2012) I would be confident that they were always a VISA. Citi didn't start to update Visas to Mastercards until recently (past year - whenever they signed Mastercard agreement) from what I understand. (I still have my VISA and since expiration date is 2018 I hope it remains VISA for awhile).

Since World MC is a different product - you will be fine to apply for World MC.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by epaairnow
Based on time (2012) I would be confident that they were always a VISA. Citi didn't start to update Visas to Mastercards until recently (past year - whenever they signed Mastercard agreement) from what I understand. (I still have my VISA and since expiration date is 2018 I hope it remains VISA for awhile).

Since World MC is a different product - you will be fine to apply for World MC.
Thanks for the information. Forgot to mention that I also applied for the $450 world elite version and cancelled it last year for the 100k miles bonus. So is this world elite mc the same as platinum select world mc? Would that nullify me from getting the bonus?
Old Nov 10, 2015, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by IamHungry
Thanks for the information. Forgot to mention that I also applied for the $450 world elite version and cancelled it last year for the 100k miles bonus. So is this world elite mc the same as platinum select world mc? Would that nullify me from getting the bonus?
The "450 world elite" is the executive card and it has nothing to do with the platinum card.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by ninim2200
The "450 world elite" is the executive card and it has nothing to do with the platinum card.
Thanks! YAY it's time for another 50K!
Old Nov 10, 2015, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by elc2414
Be assured, however, I will definitely pay close attention to the wording of the approval letter for my wife's new card, should she get one. She has received an approval email already, but nothing in it about the bonus.
The email does not give any info on bonus. However it is clearly stated in the Approval Letter. In fact that was discovered why such wordings were important by folks in the Exec thread - Exec was freely churnable UNTIL one day people found out they did not get bonus after spending $10K. That was when people dug around the data points and found the Approval Letters were worded DIFFERENTLY. It was also proven in 2 or 3 HHonors cards cases when the 75K offer came about and some did not mind a hard pull to test it. No words on bonus, no bonus after meeting $1K spend.

She has 2 cards showing on her online account that have both been cancelled within the last 18 months - one was W and one was Platinum Select VISA. .
Visa would not have any impact on the MC bonus as it was a different product.
Now what is a valuable data is the W that was canceled before converted and within 18 months.
A more detailed timeline would help the community better understand the implication on the W, W to WE, cancellation of W or WE, and subsequent outcome on new bonuses.

Right now there is only one data point on the X'ed WE, which resulted to NO bonus on subsequent card. No other data point on situation like your wife's as no one wants to risk the bonus by cancelling the previous cards. This makes your upcoming data point a very important and interesting one!

I am looking at her online account right now, and the card she has had less than 3 months (currently in the second billing period) does not show any "tracker", and the card I opened 4 months ago didn't show one either. Where on the account page does the "tracker" show up? Could this be a browser specific issue? I use Chrome for Windows and Android.
It is a very hidden feature under the Reward Summary on the right hand side where it shows the AA logo and miles earned.
Click that Reward Summary, it will bring you to a screen where you see the tracker, both in words and in a Circle graphic.
It will tell you how many days have lapsed and how many days remain for you to earn the "Welcome Bonus".
Citi would also send you a reminder if 1/2 of the time has elapsed and you still haven't earned that bonus. Husband's card is not activated for 7 weeks after it was sent as we were on an extensive trip in Europe. I saw an email to remind him "you still have time to earn your Welcome Bonus" when we had 2 more weeks to come home. We did rush out to do the spend in 3 days once we got home, 3 weeks before the cut off.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy
as of now, very little data point, except 1, on the consequence of cancelling an WE card. The lone data point is a somewhat negative outcome. Card 1 converted to WE, canceled, Card 2 did not get bonus. Card 2 converted to WE, then kept open Card 3 got bonus.

Therefore even you can have 3, 4 dips on the W to WE, going to 5, 6 etc would become harder for those who also have other citicards that need to stay open.
My plan, on which there don't seem to be any datapoints yet, is:

Card 1 converted to WE. (done in my case)
Card 2 applied for and qualifies for bonus (done in my case)
Card 1 credit limit lowered. (done in my case)
Card 2 credit limit lowered. (done in my case)
Card 2 converted to WE. (done in my case)
Card 3 applied for (coming up this weekend probably)
Card 3 received and activated and verify bonus
Card 1 cancelled at this point (cards 2 and 3 kept open)

IOTW, my thinking is that if at least one or two WE cards are kept alive, cancelling other WE cards may not hurt. (The datapoint you mentioned involved cancelling the one and only WE card, and before getting card 2.) But we'll see.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On one of the AA flights I flew this weekend, they were hawking a 50k offer which they said came with 2 AC passes. Do any of the online offers currently feature that, or is the 2 AC passes exclusive to the offer only available at 30000 feet?
Old Nov 10, 2015, 1:41 pm

Hello,

What are you folks seeing in terms of timeframes for AA to get the miles? My Citi account shows 53k miles sent to AA on October 10th, but I don't see them on aa.com yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.